The uncomfortable truth about North Charleston Police

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/1...hooting-seen-as-crime-fighting-gone-awry.html

The NY Times just posted this story. Stats. Raw stats of crime in N Charleston. I live in Charleston. And "North Chuck" has a long reputation of being a violent unruly place. Gangs. Guns. Drugs. Its the norm. Now...before I go on let me get this out the way. The shooting was 100% a crime. Murder. Indefensible.

And it sheds light on the whole city.

In 2006/2007 I along with others werent shocked when the FBI labeled North Charleston as the 6th most dangerous city in AMERICA. Not the state. Or the South. The whole nation.

NCPD under their former chief went on an aggressive push. Flood the areas of high crime. Pester the criminals. Make them uncomfortable walking or driving with guns and drugs....and guess what...they'll leave guns and drugs at home. Or leave the city.

Since 2007...North Charleston crime plummetted. From 55 murders....to only 5 a couple years ago.

That clean up was HUGE economically.

North Charleston landed major corporate jobs with the Boeing plant and Mercedez/Daimler now coming. The international airport is boomimg. And they have become the #1 city in SC for retail sales.

In a way...a miracle. From a busted shithole....to.a booming and thriving city that was beginning to rival nearby Charleston and Mount Pleasant.

Now what? Will one criminal act....reverse a decade of progress? Because the police tactics are going to change. And history showed that without it....North Chuck was among americas most dangerous places.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/1...hooting-seen-as-crime-fighting-gone-awry.html

The NY Times just posted this story. Stats. Raw stats of crime in N Charleston. I live in Charleston. And "North Chuck" has a long reputation of being a violent unruly place. Gangs. Guns. Drugs. Its the norm. Now...before I go on let me get this out the way. The shooting was 100% a crime. Murder. Indefensible.

In 2006/2007 I along with others werent shocked when the FBI labeled North Charleston as the 6th most dangerous city in AMERICA. Not the state. Or the South. The whole nation.

NCPD under their former chief went on an aggressive push. Flood the areas of high crime. Pester the criminals. Make them uncomfortable walking or driving with guns and drugs....and guess what...they'll leave guns and drugs at home. Or leave the city.

Since 2007...North Charleston crime plummetted. From 55 murders....to only 5 a couple years ago.

North Charleston landed major corporate jobs with the Boeing plant and Mercedez/Daimler now coming. The international airport is boomimg. And they have become the #1 city in SC for retail sales.

In a way...a miracle. From a busted shithole....to.a booming and thriving city that was beginning to rival nearby Charleston and Mount Pleasant.

Now what? Will one criminal act....reverse a decade of progress? Because the police tactics are going to change. And history showed that without it....North Chuck was among americas most dangerous places.
Traffic stops for broken taillights isn't fighting crime. It's collecting fines to fund the police departments donut runs.

Traffic stops for broken taillights isn't fighting crime. It's collecting fines to fund the police departments donut runs.

Wrong again. In the State of South Carolina...85% of ALL traffic ticket funds goes to the STATE government. .not local. Its why the running joke here is that you never see Highway Patrolmen...on the highways.

SC does that on purpose to ensure local jurisdictions cant use tickets for revenue. (Its also why SC has ranked top 3 for most dangerous highways because cops here do far less traffic tickets compared to other states)
Stopping cars for small violations often is the best or only way to interdict with drug trafficking or locate stolen guns or wanted people.

Just the truth.

Thanks a lot N. Charleston...They all moved to St. Louis.

Thanks a lot N. Charleston...They all moved to St. Louis.

Its a shame. This incident will undo so much positive change. Did cops inconvenience people in the high crime neighborhoods? Yes. And those areas slowly stopped being so infested with crime. Big business began moving in.

"North Chuck" used to be a place you NEVER went to unless you wanted a hooker, crack rock or gunshot wound.

It became a place that was still rough in many spots...but rapidly improving and an emerging strong middle class.

This incident will force NCPD back to the old days of "wait around til shots are fired...then go clean up the mess" style policing.

"wait around til shots are fired...then go clean up the mess"
Not these 'old days'...

Then they put the corpse on public display. Imagine doing this today.

John Dillenger.jpg

"wait around til shots are fired...then go clean up the mess"
Not these 'old days'...

Then they put the corpse on public display. Imagine doing this today.

View attachment 39436

It all goes in cycles..cops fight crime hard...citizens get angry...cops back off...crime soars....citizens get angry....cops fight crime....and so on and so one. Cycles are about 10-15 years.

The 70s were cop hatred. The 80s were back off and crime soared....the 90s were cops fighting back the crime....the millenium built up a new round of cop.hatred.

So....expect 2015-2025 or so to mimic the huge surge in violent crime we saw in the 80s. And around 2027-2030 American police will start fighting crime hard again.

What that policeman did was in no way fighting crime. There was no need to shoot a man in the back eight times. That was an idiots rage about being disobeyed. A good cop would have simply let him run, then put out a warrent, and someone would have picked him up. It was stupid to run, beyond stupid to commit murder.

What that policeman did was in no way fighting crime. There was no need to shoot a man in the back eight times. That was an idiots rage about being disobeyed. A good cop would have simply let him run, then put out a warrent, and someone would have picked him up. It was stupid to run, beyond stupid to commit murder.
Or the cop could have walked briskly to catch up to the obese 50 year old, cuffed him while he was reaching for his inhaler.

Or the cop could have walked briskly to catch up to the obese 50 year old, cuffed him while he was reaching for his inhaler.
Two more reason NOT to run from the cops.

I actually agree with you...but tactics used in high crime areas should be used in all areas. Period.

This idea about being pulled over for brake lights...IF YOU ARE A THUG (white or black)...you know 100% not to drive dirty and give the cops a reason to pull you over. Enforcing laws like this are good if enforced the same across socio-economic areas. It prevents drunk driving and gives cops a better chance of finding scum.

Then again, cops should be careful if pulling over whites for such minor infractions...whites tend to kill cops at an alarming rate when they get pulled over.

You must get your information from the racist pricks on MSNBC. They say Scott was shot in the back 8 times to fan the flames of racism. He was shot 4 times in the back and one shot grazed his ear. Eight shots were fired, but apparently three shots missed him.
It is a damned shame the cop resorted to shooting him and he will pay the price for his stupidity.

Two more reason NOT to run from the cops.
LOL, no shit! If he wasn't ventilated, he might have died like Eric Gardner. Resisting arrest is not for the fat, frail, and aging.

Forum List

Back