The Winds of War.

expat500

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2012
This miniseries has shown up on my TV system.

Has anyone seen it? Itā€™s very well done; all the location scenes, and attention to detail.

Has anyone seen it? Itā€™s very well done; all the location scenes, and attention to detail.

The Winds of War - Wikipedia (Book)

The Winds of War is Herman Wouk's second book about World War II (the first being The Caine Mutiny). Published in 1971, The Winds of War was followed up seven years later by War and Remembrance; originally conceived as one volume, Wouk decided to break it into two volumes when he realized it took nearly 1,000 pages just to get to the attack on Pearl Harbor.

The book was adapted into a highly successful miniseries in 1983. In 2020, a new miniseries adaptation was announced.

Watched it and 'War and Remembrance' when they were first on ABC.

Re-watched both since. Read the novels too.

The Winds of War - Wikipedia (Book)

The Winds of War is Herman Wouk's second book about World War II (the first being The Caine Mutiny). Published in 1971, The Winds of War was followed up seven years later by War and Remembrance; originally conceived as one volume, Wouk decided to break it into two volumes when he realized it took nearly 1,000 pages just to get to the attack on Pearl Harbor.

The book was adapted into a highly successful miniseries in 1983. In 2020, a new miniseries adaptation was announced.

Iā€™ve read those books.

Started to watch. Recalled Robert Burns' words:
------
ON HEARING IT ASSERTED
FALSEHOOD

That there is a falsehood in his looks,
I must and will deny:
They tell their Master is a knave,
And sure they do not lie.
-------

Nice work, but obviously selective about the whole picture and manipulative about details.

Saw it many years ago. It was a TV miniseries. It is based on the Herman Wouk book. As I recall it was a good series. I think Robert Mitchum starred in it.

Saw it many years ago. It was a TV miniseries. It is based on the Herman Wouk book. As I recall it was a good series. I think Robert Mitchum starred in it.

He was really good.

The location shots were impressive, filmed in European countries, so the flavour of the production was authentic. I wonder where they got the old cars from.

He was really good.

The location shots were impressive, filmed in European countries, so the flavour of the production was authentic. I wonder where they got the old cars from.
They seems more or less authentic while it's about Germany or Italy, but, say, Canadian maple leaf flag (which was adopted only in 1965) in London, or say, Royal Navy officer with moustaches only, are quite distractive. But when its coming to Russia - it, as often happens with American movies, totally lost any touch with reality. We call such things "branched cranberry".
Golden epoleths in 1941 and meaningless set of decorations? People's militia armed with PPSh in 1941? Czech postwar T-34 in 1941? A Protestant Church in Moscow region village? Say nothing about half-animal behavior of Russian officers and Generals and accented to total indistinguishabality Russian speech of some characters...

He was really good.

It's good in the same meaning as Green Berets (1968). It's good as it talks not about Vietnamese, but about Americans, talking about Vietnamese. It's not true, that Americans are Cowboys, and Vietnamese are Indians. But it's true, that many Americans think that they are Cowboys and Vietnamese are Indians.
Same way, it's not true that Americans were good guys, German were bad guys, and Russians were half-animals. But it's seems true, that many Americans are hypocritical, over-confident and totally ignorant creatures.

They seems more or less authentic while it's about Germany or Italy, but, say, Canadian maple leaf flag (which was adopted only in 1965) in London, or say, Royal Navy officer with moustaches only, are quite distractive. But when its coming to Russia - it, as often happens with American movies, totally lost any touch with reality. We call such things "branched cranberry".
Golden epoleths in 1941 and meaningless set of decorations? People's militia armed with PPSh in 1941? Czech postwar T-34 in 1941? A Protestant Church in Moscow region village? Say nothing about half-animal behavior of Russian officers and Generals and accented to total indistinguishabality Russian speech of some characters...
Movies like this are rarely concerned with authenticity. This story follows the lives of an American family in the years leading up to and during World War II. It offers a compelling portrayal of the war's global impact and the personal struggles of the characters. Herman Wouk's goal in his books and movie adaptions is to capture the sweep of history with rich character development and gripping drama. I seriously doubt that Wouk or the creators of the miniseries had any interest in whether the officers had mustaches or what kind of planes were flown. It is just not that kind of movie.

Movies like this are rarely concerned with authenticity. This story follows the lives of an American family in the years leading up to and during World War II. It offers a compelling portrayal of the war's global impact and the personal struggles of the characters. Herman Wouk's goal in his books and movie adaptions is to capture the sweep of history with rich character development and gripping drama. I seriously doubt that Wouk or the creators of the miniseries had any interest in whether the officers had mustaches or what kind of planes were flown. It is just not that kind of movie.
I'm interested in works both entertaining and educative. That's why I ask your opinions and explain what did I get from watching.

And while, say, "The Windsors: Last Blood" is definitely entertaining, is it educative about actual modern British history?
-----------
The pilot begins with a shot of "London. April 21, 1926. The birth of Queen Elizabeth II." Only an experienced eye will notice that London at the beginning of the 20th century was filmed in modern Yoshkar-Ola.
We see how the Freemasons replaced the daughter of King George with the daughter of Satan. The wrinkled foundling is played by Liya Akhedzhakova.
Next, we are transported to 1952, 25-year-old Elizabeth ascends the throne, the young queen is already played by Anastasia Zavorotnyuk, her husband, Prince Philip of Edinburgh, is Gosha Kutsenko, and Winston Churchill is Celine (Dukalis, not Dion).
During the course of the series, we learn how Princess Diana, played by Olga Buzova, cheats on Elizabeth's son, Prince Charles, with an Arab sheikh (Mikhail Galustyan).
We are horrified when strikes of dockers and miners are shot by bestial policemen on the orders of the masculine Margaret Thatcher (the amazing role of Sergei Bezrukov).
We are witnessing how England was swallowed up by the drug-addicted punk culture, which found its continuation in the rave orgies of the 80s: Sid Vicious is played by Sergey Lazarev, and Johnny Rotten is played by Vlad Topalov. Depressive suicidal Ian Curtis from Joy Division is a redhead from Ivanushki.
There is a whole series dedicated to the rise and fall of Prodigy: Kate Flint ā€“ Boris Moiseev, Leroy Thornhill ā€“ Timothy, Liam Howlett ā€“ Dima Bilan.
In the britpop season, the Gallagher brothers are played by the Zaitsev sisters from Comedy.
The series dedicated to Brexit, pushed by the homosexual Scottish lobby, is directed by Kirill Serebrennikov based on a script by Mikhail Idov.
The last season covers our time already: the agent of the American special services, Meghan Markle, played by Elena Berkova, seduces Prince Harry (Alexey Panin), beating him off from the royal Dalmatians.
The only positive characters in the series are Russian athletes Bashirov and Petrov, who, having arrived to buy sports nutrition and admire the famous bridges, accidentally witness a Satanic cult led by the defector Skripal, sacrificing cats to Queen Elizabeth (the daughter of Satan, as we remember from the first series).
------------

Forum List

Back