Zone1 The written Babylonian or Jerusalem Talmud. Has anyone read these?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I've been interested in reading this in written form but it may be a daunting task and it's difficult to determine if it would be fruitful to understand Judaism, or, if the Torah or even the Tanakh is a better approach to fully immense oneself.

Anyone, of any Faith, read these and have an opinion and the applicable "opportunity cost" of reading one over the other?

Thank you for your time.

I've been interested in reading this in written form but it may be a daunting task and it's difficult to determine if it would be fruitful to understand Judaism, or, if the Torah or even the Tanakh is a better approach to fully immense oneself.

Anyone, of any Faith, read these and have an opinion and the applicable "opportunity cost" of reading one over the other?

Thank you for your time.
you speak assyrian? or aramaic?

is there an older edition than the dead sea scrolls?

quick edit . i guess they found gilgamesh as a broken cuneiform spool in a pile of rubble at ninevah. . that must be the oldest .

Thank you for your time.
The Torah/Tanakh(Old Testament) is the way.

The Talmud was written long after Jesus, so Jews could re-invent their religion after rejecting the Messiah that the Tanakh promised. This is what modern day “Jews” use for guidance instead of the actual holy scriptures.

quick edit . i guess they found gilgamesh as a broken cuneiform spool in a pile of rubble at ninevah. . that must be the oldest .

English translation of course. I see some books which are about 850 pages for about $30. It would be beneficial to hear how early rabbi practitioners debated the details of the Torah, although I know it would also be very detailed and daunting.

Today it is interesting to listen to rabbis try to explain the Talmud, it is an interesting even dynamic discussion as we try to learn about G-d and the light is hopefully revealed.

I heard Rabbi Yitzhak Brietowitz recently, he is well known on youtube (I think) and took on some tough questions with very detailed responses.

Last edited:

Thank you for your time.

English translation of course. I see some books which are about 850 pages for about $30. It would be beneficial to hear how early rabbi practitioners debated the details of the Torah, although I know it would also be very detailed and daunting.

Today it is interesting to listen to rabbis try to explain the Talmud, it is an interesting even dynamic discussion as we try to learn about G-d and the light is hopefully revealed.

I heard Rabbi Yitzhak Brietowitz recently, he is well known on youtube (I think) and took on some tough questions with very detailed responses.
i love watching u tubes of that stuff. very interested in the ptolemies and hellenistic civilization , so many ways like our own.

the georgia guidestones were hauled away, but i think their real value, in a few thousand years, would be as rosetta stone for the 10 or 12 languages used on the monument .

One does not read the Talmud - one wrestles with it and studies it. Learning Talmud requires a different attitude and mental context. If you want to study it (which I don't recommend) work with the Schottenstein edition of the babylonian text.

Forum List

Back