They changed America before with the Children's Crusade in 1963, now David Hogg &Co will do it again

ā€œNothing in my entire life has affected me that much ā€” ever. Not only am I a different person, but I was robbed of my innocence.ā€ - David Hogg

'History shows that kids, with their innocence, honesty and moral urgency, can shame adults into discovering their conscience. It worked in Birmingham. During the childrenā€™s crusade, young people swarmed in to redirect the arc of history.

we shared many of the same basic feelings of adolescence: unbounded idealism, courage unclouded by ā€˜practicalā€™ concerns, faith and optimism untrampled by the ā€˜realitiesā€™ of the adult world.' - John Lewis

"But the Birmingham movement was flagging. In need of a radical shift in strategy, James Bevel, an adviser to King, recommended turning young blacks into foot soldiers for equal rights. King was hesitant, fearing for the childrenā€™s safety. He prayed and reflected and finally accepted that putting children in danger could help determine their future.

they were laughing and singing and carrying handmade picket signs reading ā€œSegregation is a sinā€ and ā€œIā€™ll die to make this land my home.

By the end of the day, under Bull Connorā€™s orders, more than 500 kids were behind bars charged with parading without a permit, some 75 youngsters crammed into cells meant for eight adults.

On May 2, 1963, the first day of the Birmingham childrenā€™s crusade, some 800 students skipped class, high-schoolers all the way down to first-graders. Sneaking over the fences, they scampered to the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church, the marchā€™s staging ground. (Four months later, the church would be dynamited by the Ku Klux Klan, killing four black girls.)"

The childrenā€™s crusade was national news. The Birmingham movement had been revived. And President John F. Kennedy was now paying attention.

It was then that the president and the attorney general began considering a path toward comprehensive civil rights legislation. Until students took to the streets, John Kennedy had failed to act; for two and a half years, he had been slow to recognize the plight of blacks in America. Throughout his brief term, he had been focused on other matters: foreign affairs, the national economy, the space program. But now his eyes had been opened.

ā€œLooking back,ā€ King wrote later, ā€œit is clear that the introduction of Birminghamā€™s children into the campaign was one of the wisest moves we made. It brought a new impact to the crusade, and the impetus that we needed to win the struggle.ā€
Children have changed America before, braving fire hoses and police dogs for civil rights

get a red tomato. feel it's heft. consider it's origins.

there's a fair chance it was picked in Florida, home to a 600 million dollar tomato industry, and if so, it was picked in Immokalee, in hot southwest Florida, if so, a fair chance it was picked by someone who not that many years ago was a slave.

by the hands of migrant workers from Mexico, who were abused physically & sexually, paid by the bucket and not the punishing hours in the field, yet whose meager wages were routinely stolen by their bosses, and who were pistol-whipped and chained in locked containers if they complained. POWERLESSNESS!

these workers had NO RECOURSE. NO ADVOCATES. NO FLUENCY IN ENGLISH. they were socially dead to the rest of the United States.

in 2001, they organized the 1st ever farmworker boycott of a fast-food company, against Taco Bell, 4 years later TB agreed to raise wages

the buyers agreed to contribute some of the pittance they once squeezed from their workers to a common fund for worker health and worker safety and worker education. WalMart joined the effort in 2014. 10 million dollars has been paid into the fund.

the pickers of Immokalee fought for a fair chance, and they're still fighting.

my fellow millenials, the old generation is a thing of the past, forget them, but WE have a bright future!

History also shows humans have a shelf life. Which means new humans that are still around make policy, and old humans who are dead don't.

And that's why the Parkland shooting survivors will win, and aging gun nut America won't.

You're sorely mistaken if you think young people don't own guns.

My money is on her in a cage match vs. the epically pussified Muad Mugg.

kent_university_rifle_facebook_0.jpg

ā€œNothing in my entire life has affected me that much ā€” ever. Not only am I a different person, but I was robbed of my innocence.ā€ - David Hogg

'History shows that kids, with their innocence, honesty and moral urgency, can shame adults into discovering their conscience. It worked in Birmingham. During the childrenā€™s crusade, young people swarmed in to redirect the arc of history.

we shared many of the same basic feelings of adolescence: unbounded idealism, courage unclouded by ā€˜practicalā€™ concerns, faith and optimism untrampled by the ā€˜realitiesā€™ of the adult world.' - John Lewis

"But the Birmingham movement was flagging. In need of a radical shift in strategy, James Bevel, an adviser to King, recommended turning young blacks into foot soldiers for equal rights. King was hesitant, fearing for the childrenā€™s safety. He prayed and reflected and finally accepted that putting children in danger could help determine their future.

they were laughing and singing and carrying handmade picket signs reading ā€œSegregation is a sinā€ and ā€œIā€™ll die to make this land my home.

By the end of the day, under Bull Connorā€™s orders, more than 500 kids were behind bars charged with parading without a permit, some 75 youngsters crammed into cells meant for eight adults.

On May 2, 1963, the first day of the Birmingham childrenā€™s crusade, some 800 students skipped class, high-schoolers all the way down to first-graders. Sneaking over the fences, they scampered to the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church, the marchā€™s staging ground. (Four months later, the church would be dynamited by the Ku Klux Klan, killing four black girls.)"

The childrenā€™s crusade was national news. The Birmingham movement had been revived. And President John F. Kennedy was now paying attention.

It was then that the president and the attorney general began considering a path toward comprehensive civil rights legislation. Until students took to the streets, John Kennedy had failed to act; for two and a half years, he had been slow to recognize the plight of blacks in America. Throughout his brief term, he had been focused on other matters: foreign affairs, the national economy, the space program. But now his eyes had been opened.

ā€œLooking back,ā€ King wrote later, ā€œit is clear that the introduction of Birminghamā€™s children into the campaign was one of the wisest moves we made. It brought a new impact to the crusade, and the impetus that we needed to win the struggle.ā€
Children have changed America before, braving fire hoses and police dogs for civil rights

there's a fair chance it was picked in Florida, home to a 600 million dollar tomato industry, and if so, it was picked in Immokalee, in hot southwest Florida, if so, a fair chance it was picked by someone who not that many years ago was a slave.

by the hands of migrant workers from Mexico, who were abused physically & sexually, paid by the bucket and not the punishing hours in the field, yet whose meager wages were routinely stolen by their bosses, and who were pistol-whipped and chained in locked containers if they complained. POWERLESSNESS!

these workers had NO RECOURSE. NO ADVOCATES. NO FLUENCY IN ENGLISH. they were socially dead to the rest of the United States.

in 2001, they organized the 1st ever farmworker boycott of a fast-food company, against Taco Bell, 4 years later TB agreed to raise wages

the buyers agreed to contribute some of the pittance they once squeezed from their workers to a common fund for worker health and worker safety and worker education. WalMart joined the effort in 2014. 10 million dollars has been paid into the fund.

my fellow millenials, the old generation is a thing of the past, forget them, but WE have a bright future!

History also shows humans have a shelf life. Which means new humans that are still around make policy, and old humans who are dead don't.

And that's why the Parkland shooting survivors will win, and aging gun nut America won't.

View attachment 195537

they have guns alright...

DeOHAHaXUAENYoH.jpg

View attachment 195537

DeOHAHaXUAENYoH.jpg

Those shooting were done by mentally disturbed kids that people like David Hogg bullied and ostracized. If you want to find a cause - look at that.

What we're seeing is the cyclical nature of gun violence.

People die,
Our tears fall
We say it will never happen again but then weeks go by

Our tears blur the names
And we forget
Until it happens again.
Wipe your tears
Fight for them
Together

View attachment 195537

DeOHAHaXUAENYoH.jpg

Those shooting were done by mentally disturbed kids that people like David Hogg bullied and ostracized. If you want to find a cause - look at that.

Weā€™re going to have our disagreements but we can work on what do agree on together. Behavioral intervention programs...Mental health care funding....Gun sense...Mental healthcare fun...oh i already said it...

This issue is not one sided but debate is always healthy to come to agreement and compromise.

enough is enough. VOTE THEM ALL OUT! no more Republicans. no more Democrats. vote every single politician who is linked with NRA out.

You seem to miss one very big point. "The NRA" are people. A LOT of people. A lot of AMERICAN people. The NRA has money. A LOT of money. politicians want and need money. If one politician doesn't take it, another will. Because the NRA represents the voice of millions and millions of Americans. I see you are just another idiot who has easily fallen for the media claptrap that the NRA is some form of subversive "enemy." When you oppose the NRA, you oppose a very large block of the American people.

What we're seeing is the cyclical nature of gun violence.

People die,
Our tears fall
We say it will never happen again but then weeks go by

Our tears blur the names
And we forget
Until it happens again.
Wipe your tears
Fight for them
Together

Here: learn something about a Real Resistance and Gun Control. Your side is playing the part of Nazi Germany, btw:

Nazi Germany invaded France in 1940. In every occupied town, Nazi soldiers put up posters that demanded that civilians surrender their firearms within twenty-four hours or else be shot. Despite the consequences, many French citizens refused to comply with the order. In Gun Control in Nazi-Occupied France: Tyranny and Resistance, Stephen P. Halbrook tells this story of Nazi repression and the brave French men and women who refused to surrender to it. Drawing on records of the German occupation and testimonies from members of the French resistance, Gun Control in Nazi-Occupied France is the first book to focus on the Nazisā€™ efforts to disarm the French.

One of the most startling facts in the book is in the last chapter entitled "Liberation":

"There were three million hunting guns in France in 1939, according to the Saint-Hubert-Club de France, a hunting association."

...only 835,000 of three million hunting guns --less than one-third--were turned in by French citizens threatened with the death penalty for not doing so. That is an incredible testament to the inefficacy of gun control in the most extreme circumstances.

It is also a testament to the bravery of the French people who did not turn their guns in; some of those guns contributed to the Resistance and helped the Allies to win the war. "..[T]he only armed resistance in France until D-Day was conducted by civilians...

'Surrender Your Firearms Within 24 Hours or Be Shot'

Hogg speaks a language of love that is not moldy and boring but open, inviting, and even exciting! He's the man!

when we remember that no system is God-Given, we remember that every system is changeable. which means every system has already been changed, more than once. YES WE CAN! SI SE PUEDE! OUI...um, fuck, my french is horrible

success is achieved by those who dont know that failure is inevitable...WE WILL WIN!

Even if you liberals agree with David Hogg's politics 100% - let's put that aside a moment - can't you admit that as a human being, Hogg does not have one positive, likeable quality of any kind? Listen, I vote Repub. yet there are a good number of fellow Republicans I've detested enough I honestly wish they would commit suicide in the manner of their choice. Can't you liberals muster up enough honesty to admit the same thing about the anti-social dregs of your side??

Even if you liberals agree with David Hogg's politics 100% - let's put that aside a moment - can't you admit that as a human being, Hogg does not have one positive, likeable quality of any kind? Listen, I vote Repub. yet there are a good number of fellow Republicans I've detested enough I honestly wish they would commit suicide in the manner of their choice. Can't you liberals muster up enough honesty to admit the same thing about the anti-social dregs of your side??

can you name the repubs you detest?

social virtues such as trust and generosity and compassion may seem like they're for suckers, but in fact they're for winners. they help groups cohere in ways that enable all members to survive and thrive, and the group to endure. WE SHALL OVERCOME!

Muad Mogg doesn't display trust, generosity and compassion. Nor do the rest of the SJW bullies that are terrorizing college campuses and other areas where they congregate.

this isnā€™t a conservative vs liberal issue. itā€™s life or death. vote out the ones who donā€™t want gun reform. we donā€™t deserve to die.
If you try and take away the rights of the people to keep and bear arms, then yes you do. That makes you a fascist. This is America, and this is Memorial Day. The day we remember the people who died to protect this land and this people, from tyranants like you.

Muad Mogg doesn't display trust, generosity and compassion. Nor do the rest of the SJW bullies that are terrorizing college campuses and other areas where they congregate.

this isnā€™t a conservative vs liberal issue. itā€™s life or death. vote out the ones who donā€™t want gun reform. we donā€™t deserve to die.

God to BB: you're all going to die.

Gun reform isn't going to save any lives, bub. People who want to kill other people will always find a way. Your agenda will lead to more deaths by denying law-abiding people a tool for self-defense.

you perfectly display the misinformation campaigns of the NRA where they ignore how to actually prevent these murders and use them to try and peddle more guns.

you don't know it yet but the young people will win.

We are the future! We are the future! We are the future! When the future votes, the future wins the young people, will win.

Oh blah blah blah blah so sleepy...zzzzzzzz

If you're the future, I hope I die before you breed future generations of human veal.

In realityland, you pussies are the minority. Good luck taking 300M guns away from Patriotic Americans who know how to use them. You're not going to like how that turns out. So a bit of advice: actually read the Constitution and learn something about our history and founding values of the Enlightenment.

I love listening to Thunderstruck by Two Cellos thinking about how this country was built by young people and how the young people will rebuild it and win (Obviously).

No. You will not. We will have civil war with thousands dead before you win.

Forum List

Back