Thousands Of Doctors Fired By United HealthCare

Ava

Trump/Vance MAGA
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 16, 2010
Central Coast
Can we say, Death Panels, now, without denying the fact?

Published: Thursday, October 10, 2013, 6:27 PM ED

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH)-- In the midst of major changes in health care, UnitedHealthCare has sent thousands of pink slips to Connecticut doctors.

Termination letters went to physicians caring for Medicare patients. Those letters were sent out to doctors caring for 'Medicare Advantage' patients. It's a plan, marketed to Seniors to provide additional services through UnitedHealthCare.

A mix of primary care and specialty doctors are affected by it. And it comes at a questionable time.

Open enrollment for Medicare starts next Tuesday, and it's still not clear at this time as to which doctors are still in the United network.

The Connecticut State Medical Society is fighting back. The biggest concern is patient access to healthcare.

"What the government is looking for is to manage better care by adding a patient centered medical home so that you have a doctor who is totally invested with taking care of every aspect of the patient and coordinating it. This is clearly not a patient centered decision," said Dr. Michael Saffir, President of CT State Medical Society.

Dr. Saffir says the State Medical Society is in contact with UnitedHealthcare. They are also asking doctors to call United to find out why they were terminated without cause as notified in the letter.

He recommends that Seniors affected by this should call the office of the HealthCare Advocate of Connecticut.

More:

WTNH - Thousands of doctors fired by United HealthCare | WTNH.com Connecticut

I thought that ACA was not going to have enough doctors.

Death panels, Jake. The source of your forthcoming healthcare will probably be online. :eusa_whistle:

One of the comments left by a reader of the article said something I have to agree with:

umpire
• 2 days ago

−

"I love this....the moron democrats are getting a taste of the real life...do you think a doctor who spent hundreds of thousands of dollars n education wants to deal with the government? I hope all these doctors go to just cash please system...that way the folks who voted with and for obama will suffer....Just remember all you fools who voted for obama...no doctor service for you!!!. Welcome to Cuba."

HMO's monitor providers and look for doctors who order unnecessary tests and proceedures. Those that do are routinely fired, while others are hired to replace them. The article goes on to say that they are changing staff to better serve the needs of their insureds. I worked for United, and they love Medicare Advantage, because they have zero risk. They pay providers a fixed fee and collect a fixed revenue from the government, no matter how sick the insureds are. Their only challange is to keep the utilization down so that the providers do not demand higher fixed fees. That is what United is doing. The more members who sign uip for Medicare Advantage, the more money they make. There is no downside for the insurance industry.

HMO's monitor providers and look for doctors who order unnecessary tests and proceedures. Those that do are routinely fired, while others are hired to replace them. The article goes on to say that they are changing staff to better serve the needs of their insureds. I worked for United, and they love Medicare Advantage, because they have zero risk. They pay providers a fixed fee and collect a fixed revenue from the government, no matter how sick the insureds are. Their only challange is to keep the utilization down so that the providers do not demand higher fixed fees. That is what United is doing. The more members who sign uip for Medicare Advantage, the more money they make. There is no downside for the insurance industry.

Thanks for your thoughtful and worthy post.:)

I am assuming you believe the reason for the terminations, to be authentic, as your comment reflects, with this statement: The article goes on to say that they are changing staff to better serve the needs of their insureds.

If only.....:doubt:

Thanks for your thoughtful and worthy post.:)

I am assuming you believe the reason for the terminations, to be authentic, as your comment reflects, with this statement: The article goes on to say that they are changing staff to better serve the needs of their insureds.

If only.....:doubt:

Your assumption is correct. Having spent my 50 year career in health insurance, one of my jobs was to spot and stop overutilization so that we did not have to pass the costs of it on to our insureds, which would have made us uncompetive.

Obamacare ‘navigator’ in Kansas has outstanding arrest warrant

tommy-i5660.jpg

Forum List

Back