Tick associated with red meat allergy has been found in ND

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The rare allergy has afflicted people in the lakes country and north woods of Minnesota, but the tick has not been found.

It appears that the tick, which is found throughout most eastern and southern states, and the allergic response it creates are creeping toward the area.

Cases of allergies to red meat believed to be caused by tick bite were first reported in Minnesota over the last two or three years. The rare allergy is caused when a tick bites a non-primate mammal and acquires a sugar, known as alpha-gal, and then transmits it to a person. In some, the body’s immune system produces antibodies, which cause an allergic reaction when the person eats red meat, which also contains the sugar.
Tick associated with red meat allergy has been found in ND

That would suck.

I live in an area with lots of ticks. This gives me something more to worry about. LOL

Ticks are right up there with cockroaches as to the ever nagging question..........WTF? Why on earth do they exist?

I live in an area with lots of ticks. This gives me something more to worry about. LOL

Ditto. A good Catahoula breeder we knew in Louisiana had Lyme disease and before it was diagnosed and treated, what he described to us was living hell on earth.

Forum List

Back