Time for a return of the Icebox?

My aunt had an ice box back in the day. Food would be sorta cool but not cold. It was also quite small, only held a few food items, usually just milk and butter.

However there were lots of such ice boxes around as we saw the ice delivery truck making stops all over the place. We would wait until the driver went into the houses then we would snatch chunks of ice from the back of the truck to suck on.

The ice was delivered in a truck, but our milk was delivered in a horse drawn wagon, the last horse drawn route in the city. It was retired in 1945. Sometime later I asked the delivery guy if he missed his horse and he said he did but preferred his new truck.

Last edited:
From your link:

"Back then, year-round ice was a luxury good for the wealthy. It was mostly used to make desserts and iced drinks." ...

If you'd have read my post, you'd know I refurbished the ice door on the back of my house ... so the ice merchant can just simply put the ice in the top of the ice box, from the outside of the building ... on the opposite side of the wood burning stove ... do you think the ice was just deposited on the door step and it was up to the customer to lug it into the house? ... [shakes head] ... that's not how you treat the wealthy back then ...

I can't speak to your location ... where I live we had a refrigeration plant down by the river, next to the hydroelectric power station ... in the 19th Century of course, the first European settler in Oregon was Jason Lee in 1843 ... AD ...
The OP thinks we are going back 160 plus years to "ice boxes". A modern day ice box is a cooler. OP thinks there are going to be power outrages and no power.
About your ice door. All it does is make your house less insulated, and you are wasting energy. Best of luck to you. I am 100% solar and 100% wind. I get money back every month. I could be off the grid, but why? I make money.

how much electricity does it take to make the ice?........delivery miles to

what is the net savings
who cares. it is not going to happen. Get a cooler if you are concerned.
hey buddy, remember me? you got all up in my face the other day and I gave you a firm pimp slap :abgg2q.jpg:

Trains ??? ... how many trains were there before the 19th Century? ... LOL ... how many frozen lakes in Alabama? ...

History that deserves remembered:

We get occasional short lived snowfalls, but I've never seen a lake, or pond freeze over...

When the power goes out how do people get ice to replace the ice that melted?

Better advice.

Buy a propane generator and have a dedicated 500 gallon tank for it.

Even better is to maintain your power grid so that long outages don't happen ... not every place is serviced by PG&E ... here in Greenest of the Greens Oregon, we cut down the trees that interfere with the overhead wires ... priorities you know ...

... but we'll see after the next earthquake ... any day now ...

What the Op fails to realize is this is an Icebox...
The icebox didn't leave

dc937b59-4952-4dad-9706-37bb812a71fe.jpg
/——-/ Global Warmers are blithering idiots even on their best day.

I went 'green' by signing up for 'off peak' electric rates, and, increased my attic insulation to R-49.

The OP thinks we are going back 160 plus years to "ice boxes". A modern day ice box is a cooler. OP thinks there are going to be power outrages and no power.
About your ice door. All it does is make your house less insulated, and you are wasting energy. Best of luck to you. I am 100% solar and 100% wind. I get money back every month. I could be off the grid, but why? I make money.

With cheapest-in-the-nation hydropower? ... I'm re-building all the old original windows ... most of them whistle when the wind blows, drives the cats nuts ... but I can run my electric heaters all winter long and not produce a single ounce of carbon dioxide ... all I'm doing is making bouillabaisse for Portlanders ... yeech ...

We smelt aluminum here ... it's fossil fuels that are in very short supply ... these are Holocene deposits here ...

I went 'green' by signing up for 'off peak' electric rates, and, increased my attic insulation to R-49.
I actually have solar panels to heat my pool water. The pool is screened and nearby oak trees shade it most of the time. Roof top solar panels provide the heat. Works good. We can use the pool for about seven months out of the year.

I actually have solar panels to heat my pool water. The pool is screened and nearby oak trees shade it most of the time. Roof top solar panels provide the heat. Works good. We can use the pool for about seven months out of the year.
My in-laws supplemented their pool heater by circulating the water through a very long black plastic hose that was placed on the roof of the house. Looked goofy but was effective. When the sun was shining the pool heater didn't come on.

I'm a carpenter, ask me to put solar panels on you roof and I'll charge you plenty ... and you WILL have roof leaks after ... guarantied ...

Call me when you're due for a new roof ... that's every 25 years or so ... we can have the roofers install the piers for the panels and flash them proper super cheap, so they never leak ... even if you don't install the panels, the piers alone add value to your home ... but only if it's done at the time you re-roof ...

You are saving money every month for a new roof aren't you? ... $50/mo for 25 years is only $15,000 ... that won't buy a new roof today, let alone tomorrow ...

With cheapest-in-the-nation hydropower? ... I'm re-building all the old original windows ... most of them whistle when the wind blows, drives the cats nuts ... but I can run my electric heaters all winter long and not produce a single ounce of carbon dioxide ... all I'm doing is making bouillabaisse for Portlanders ... yeech ...

We smelt aluminum here ... it's fossil fuels that are in very short supply ... these are Holocene deposits here ...
smelting produces carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases.
if someone tells you fossil fuels are in very short supply, punch them in the face and tell them they are liars.

Forum List

Back