Toxic mice to rain from skies near Andersen AFB

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
By Eric Talmadge - The Associated Press
Posted : Friday Feb 22, 2013 13:44:49 EST

An interesting article about what happens when species are introduced to areas they are not native to. I recently posted an article about what damage domestic cats do to islands where they are not native,.

022213-ap-guam-mice-1-800.JPG

ANDERSEN AIR FORCE BASE, Guam — Dead mice laced with painkillers are about to rain down on Guam’s jungle canopy. They are scientists’ prescription for a headache that has caused the tiny U.S. territory misery for more than 60 years: the brown tree snake.

Most of Guam’s native bird species are extinct because of the snake, which reached the island’s thick jungles by hitching rides from the South Pacific on U.S. military ships shortly after World War II. There may be 2 million of the reptiles on Guam now, decimating wildlife, biting residents and even knocking out electricity by slithering onto power lines.

Didn't Anderson AFB used to be in the Philippines? :eusa_whistle:

Read more @ Toxic mice to rain from skies near Andersen AFB - Military News | News From Afghanistan, Iraq And Around The World - Military Times

you mean other species are usually to blame for extinctions? not global warming?

you mean other species are usually to blame for extinctions? not global warming?

Opps, you said something to burst the GW bubble....

No doubt whatever sub-species of Lemming ol' Rocks belongs will being to squeel loud enough to through the thread off topic.

Descending to Frankie Boy's level, Ian?

do you disagree with what I said? the majority of extinctions that I know of are on islands, due to direct predation by introduced or emergent species. or sometimes just by over competition for a niche, or by reducing a staple food source. sad but it happens.

Opps, you said something to burst the GW bubble....

No doubt whatever sub-species of Lemming ol' Rocks belongs will being to squeel loud enough to through the thread off topic.

poor old Old Rocks is becoming inconsequential to the point of extinction.

Descending to Frankie Boy's level, Ian?

do you disagree with what I said? the majority of extinctions that I know of are on islands, due to direct predation by introduced or emergent species. or sometimes just by over competition for a niche, or by reducing a staple food source. sad but it happens.

Yes I heard they dropped poisoned GW lemmings into a group af Meterologists meeting on Oahu hoping their brains would turn into turnips.

Happily, Joe Biden ate them all after he drank his fifth martini during happy hour, belching out, "I thought they were the pigs-in-a-blanket."

U.S. government scientists have been perfecting the mice-drop strategy for more than a decade with support from the Department of Defense and the Department of the Interior.

To keep the mice bait from dropping all the way to the ground, where it could be eaten by other animals or attract insects as they rot, researchers have developed a flotation device with streamers designed to catch in the branches of the forest foliage, where the snakes live and feed

:eusa_eh:

It took more than a decade to perfect this?

:eusa_eh:

No wonder the Taliban are still fighting in A'stan.

Forum List

Back