Palestinian Talks, lectures, & interviews.

Which specific assertion are you contesting?
Both. The Philistines were not descended from the Canaanites (they were a sea faring nation from Crete) and the land was not named for them, but as a way to sever the connection between the Jews who lived there and the land.

Both. The Philistines were not descended from the Canaanites (they were a sea faring nation from Crete) and the land was not named for them, but as a way to sever the connection between the Jews who lived there and the land.

1721403554933.png

Note "the name was revived by the Romans" not invented by them, it was originally applied by the Greeks around the 5th century BC, several centuries before Rome became active in the region.

As for Philistines descending from Canaanites I'm prepared to concede that point, I was wrong.

View attachment 979972

Note "the name was revived by the Romans" not invented by them, it was originally applied by the Greeks around the 5th century BC, several centuries before Rome became active in the region.

As for Philistines descending from Canaanites I'm prepared to concede that point, I was wrong.
So the you also believe that the name only applies to that small area, right? The question is why was it applied to the larger area later? To sever the connection if Jews to the land as a whole.

Forum List

Back