Truckers Boycott Colorado After A Driver Is Sentenced To 110 Years

I just want to know if truckers really ARE going to boycott Colorado; they should.

There is just such a shortage of drivers; they pushed him to drive when he didn't want to.

Apparently he told his company that he didn't feel qualified to do the trip and his choice was do it of get fired. Companies have no business putting that pressure on a driver.

Either you are a qualified driver or you're not. You can't pick and choose what runs you are going to make based on your experience. For most drivers they can walk in the bosses office in the morning, piss on his desk, and he'll have another job waiting for him the next day. Drivers are that much in demand and have been for a number of years now so there was no reason for him to fear termination.

With great power comes great responsibility.

You get licenced to drive a 18 wheeled, 10 braked, 5 axled combination vehicle weighing 80,000 pounds... You're held to a higher standard than the rest of the driving public.

This is as it should be...no?

If a pilot crashes his plane into a house and kills four people and testimony proves he knew there was a problem with the engine but he figured he could handle it because he was in a hurry... and he bypassed two open fields because there was a chance he could glide to the airport and he didn't want to damage the aircraft (as he would be liable for the damage)... Shouldn't that person go to prison for a long, long time...if for no other reason than to deter other pilots from similar courses of action?

With great power comes great responsibility.

You get licenced to drive a 18 wheeled, 10 braked, 5 axled combination vehicle weighing 80,000 pounds... You're held to a higher standard than the rest of the driving public.

This is as it should be...no?

If a pilot crashes his plane into a house and kills four people and testimony proves he knew there was a problem with the engine but he figured he could handle it because he was in a hurry... and he bypassed two open fields because there was a chance he could glide to the airport and he didn't want to damage the aircraft (as he would be liable for the damage)... Shouldn't that person go to prison for a long, long time...if for no other reason than to deter other pilots from similar courses of action?

Yup. That sort of wilful negligence will get your ticket pulled in a New York second. Knowingly taking off in an aircraft that is deficient is also grounds for having your license pulled.

Either you are a qualified driver or you're not. You can't pick and choose what runs you are going to make based on your experience. For most drivers they can walk in the bosses office in the morning, piss on his desk, and he'll have another job waiting for him the next day. Drivers are that much in demand and have been for a number of years now so there was no reason for him to fear termination.
I dispatch for my company, among everything else, when a driver comes in and is not sure of his abilities, we hold him local and then get him some training after training and retraining, if he doesn't have the confidence in his own ability, we cut him. Either you can or you can't at that point.

In your article he made the statement that he thought his brakes were fine.
I think the testimony pretty well proved he knew he had a brake problem. Witnesses said he was stopped at a brake check pullout and his brakes were smoking hot. According to testimony he called his boss and another driver about his brake failure at that time... while stopped... before the collision.

I think the testimony pretty well proved he knew he had a brake problem. Witnesses said he was stopped at a brake check pullout and his brakes were smoking hot. According to testimony he called his boss and another driver about his brake failure at that time... while stopped... before the collision.

He had a brake problem but didn't know what to do. If he needed an English translator in court, it's likely he can't read English either, so I wonder if he knew that the emergency ramps were coming up not being able to read the signs.

I blame the driver. If you come to this country and don't know anything about it, you should pay to attend school.

I dispatch for my company, among everything else, when a driver comes in and is not sure of his abilities, we hold him local and then get him some training after training and retraining, if he doesn't have the confidence in his own ability, we cut him. Either you can or you can't at that point.

Well sure if the employer is aware of the situation. In our company when we needed another tractor-trailer driver, we would train one of our willing class B drivers for the job. When they took over for one of us on a day off, our dispatcher didn't send them anywhere too challenging.

But apparently this guy presented himself as a qualified driver. Again, I'd love to know how he got his CDL. I'd also like to know if his employer gave a statement or even testified in court and what his take on it was. Because it sounds to me like he's trying to shift at least some of the blame on the employer.

I believe he himself testified that he lied on his application and to his employer about his experience to get the job.

Interestingly... This report of the pretrial indictment testimony indicates the driver had previously driven this route three times...

Thanks for the report. The video shows something else I find disturbing. The median and shoulder had grass next to it. Why didn't he run his truck onto the grass to slow it down? He could have side swiped a bridge pillar with the trailer to slow it down even more.

The system didn't fail, the driver did. Every driver knows (or should know) that brakes will fail if you use them too much and they heat up. You can take a brand new truck and trailer and they will do exactly that.

100% driver error. Either this guy had no training or he came from another country with what they consider the equivalent of a US CDL, and they just handed him a license. My experience is that these foreigners had zero training as a driver, never even been behind the wheel of a truck until they got into the US, and we put them behind the wheel of a vehicle with the potential weight of 80,000 lbs.

He should not be going to jail, the bureaucrats that allowed him to be licensed should.

The system failed because the driver pushed it beyond its normal operating parameters. Full operator failure would be to not try to apply the brakes in the situation.

Now the fault is on the driver, and not the brakes in this case.

The system failed because the driver pushed it beyond its normal operating parameters. Full operator failure would be to not try to apply the brakes in the situation.

Now the fault is on the driver, and not the brakes in this case.

the system is designed so you can take a truck like that down a hill. Engine brakes (or jake brakes as they are often called) are there for that reason.

I guess that when you do this long enough, experience enough foreigners where our government just hands them a CDL license, you get aggravated at the concept when our drivers have to go through a mini hell to get their license. It's just unfair and like this issue, it's never addressed because we give these bureaucrats more power than we give our Congress to pass laws. This situation should have gotten congressional attention to find out how this guy was allowed to drive in this country in the first place.

This guy needed an English interpreter which tells me there is reason to believe he couldn't read any of our road signs. He shouldn't have been allowed to drive a car in this country yet alone a truck.

martybegan

No... you're right.

Should have said predictably failed due to operator exceeding known operational parameters.

Words have meanings and I should have used them more precisely.
Maybe if so many truckers hadn't been fired because they refused to vaccinate we wouldn't have had
this bureaucratically created problem.

Once again the fear of covid is worse than covid itself.

Maybe if so many truckers hadn't been fired because they refused to vaccinate we wouldn't have had
this bureaucratically created problem.

Once again the fear of covid is worse than covid itself.

Not really. I've been doing this 30 years and have seen more and more regulation against American drivers come out. In fact their new regulations put me out of work and a career, so it's been going on for a very long time.

So what's new for 2022? They want all drivers to attend a government driving class starting in February. This is on top of any training you may have already had from a school or job. Even if you upgrade your license from class B to a Class A, or simply want to add endorsements to your license like Haz-Mat, you have to take this government class.

What problem will this solve? Not a damn one. It will only add hurdles to become a truck driver in the USA when we need drivers the most. But these bureaucrats don't care. They have no oversight and do whatever they damn well feel like doing. They have nothing better to do than dream up more red tape and play cards in their office. They are destroying the transportation industry, and now people are dying because of them.

Forum List

Back