Trump cuts US a bad deal in leaving UN Human Rights Council

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
While rights body is scarred by hypocrisy, US involvement has always been for the better

A few years ago, I covered a long hearing in the cavernous hall in Geneva where the UN Human Rights Council holds its plenary meetings. Ireland was in the spotlight that day. Alan Shatter, who was minister for justice at the time, along with a team of civil servants, spent several hours fielding questions about the State’s human rights record from delegations representing dozens of countries.

This was part of the council’s periodic review, a process in which states are interrogated on – and asked to answer for – their rights record before their peers. The event was by turns insightful and surreal. Surreal because, among those raising concerns to Shatter that day were some of the worst human rights abusers in the world.

The Pakistani delegation had concerns about how Ireland dealt with domestic violence. Uzbekistan deplored the State’s treatment of prisoners. The Afghans were exercised by the situation facing Travellers. They were all legitimate and well-informed interventions. But it was hard to know whether the whole ritual was an apogee or a nadir for the UN system.

Was it an achievement of sorts to have authoritarian regimes give this implicit, albeit purely theoretical, support to the human rights agenda and engaging in the fine detail of it in this way? Or did the plain hypocrisy of the exercise fatally undermine the council itself?

In his second term, Trump has the USA exit the UN, boots them out of the country and turns their HQ into affordable housing

Leaving the UN and/or any of its councils is a message that “it’s not important to us”.
If there is disagreement or a sense of futility, then work it out! Make it better!
It sends the wrong signal to other nations by leaving. Is Trump saying he does not care about human rights?

In his second term, Trump has the USA exit the UN, boots them out of the country and turns their HQ into affordable housing
You left out the most important part: he weakens NATO, which is why Putin got him elected.
How does he "weaken NATO", Honey BooBoo?
Use your imagination, genius. You never seem to have much problem doing so.
How does exiting the UN weaken NATO?

The UN "Human Rights Council" has been a mockery. Explain how our participation has made any substantive difference. Voicing objections does not count. We can do that from a variety of platforms.

Was it an achievement of sorts to have authoritarian regimes give this implicit, albeit purely theoretical, support to the human rights agenda and engaging in the fine detail of it in this way? Or did the plain hypocrisy of the exercise fatally undermine the council itself?
If they cannot question they cannot be questioned, so it is vital for the idea of human rights that those countries participate.

While rights body is scarred by hypocrisy, US involvement has always been for the better

A few years ago, I covered a long hearing in the cavernous hall in Geneva where the UN Human Rights Council holds its plenary meetings. Ireland was in the spotlight that day. Alan Shatter, who was minister for justice at the time, along with a team of civil servants, spent several hours fielding questions about the State’s human rights record from delegations representing dozens of countries.

This was part of the council’s periodic review, a process in which states are interrogated on – and asked to answer for – their rights record before their peers. The event was by turns insightful and surreal. Surreal because, among those raising concerns to Shatter that day were some of the worst human rights abusers in the world.

The Pakistani delegation had concerns about how Ireland dealt with domestic violence. Uzbekistan deplored the State’s treatment of prisoners. The Afghans were exercised by the situation facing Travellers. They were all legitimate and well-informed interventions. But it was hard to know whether the whole ritual was an apogee or a nadir for the UN system.

So, what was the bad part?

Leaving the UN and/or any of its councils is a message that “it’s not important to us”.
If there is disagreement or a sense of futility, then work it out! Make it better!
It sends the wrong signal to other nations by leaving. Is Trump saying he does not care about human rights?

People will hear what they want to hear.

We can't control that. That is on them.

If they cannot question they cannot be questioned, so it is vital for the idea of human rights that those countries participate.

This is nonsense. How did U.S. participation stop the most recent round of outrageous anti-Israeli resolutions to spew from the UNHRC? And, again, we don't have to sit in a room with a bunch of pro-terrorist demagogues to voice our objections to their actions.

Sheesh, you guys cheer when some CEO pulls out of a Trump commission over something Trump said, but you whine when we finally pull out of the UNHRC.

I'd bet good money that if the UNHRC began to condemn Russian brutality, you guys would whine if we did not pull out.

IOW, liberals praise CEOs who withdraw from this or that Trump commission or working group to protest something that Trump said or did, but now they're attacking Trump for pulling out of the pro-terrorist, anti-Israeli UN "Human Rights" Council. That just figures.

This is nonsense. How did U.S. participation stop the most recent round of outrageous anti-Israeli resolutions to spew from the UNHRC? And, again, we don't have to sit in a room with a bunch of pro-terrorist demagogues to voice our objections to their actions.

Sheesh, you guys cheer when some CEO pulls out of a Trump commission over something Trump said, but you whine when we finally pull out of the UNHRC.

I'd bet good money that if the UNHRC began to condemn Russian brutality, you guys would whine if we did not pull out.

You are living int he past.

NOw that Russians are not good commies the lib hate them.

Now if the UNHRC began condemning the government violence in Venezuela, THEN the libs would be outraged.

IOW, liberals praise CEOs who withdraw from this or that Trump commission or working group to protest something that Trump said or did, but now they're attacking Trump for pulling out of the pro-terrorist, anti-Israeli UN "Human Rights" Council. That just figures.
Mike, I cannot see to whom or what you are directing your comments, but it sure seems knee-jerk to me. However, to point out that a diplomat (remember the old days of diplomacy?) quits because he cannot work within the confines of a Presidential policy strikes me as unusual in terms of the mass exodus from this admin. Your hyperbole about being "pro-terrorist" for not supporting Israel's anti-Palestinian-citizen JimCrow-type laws falls on deaf ears at my house too.

Mike, I cannot see to whom or what you are directing your comments, but it sure seems knee-jerk to me. However, to point out that a diplomat (remember the old days of diplomacy?) quits because he cannot work within the confines of a Presidential policy strikes me as unusual in terms of the mass exodus from this admin. Your hyperbole about being "pro-terrorist" for not supporting Israel's anti-Palestinian-citizen JimCrow-type laws falls on deaf ears at my house too.

It is unusual.

The Government has become politicized. That an American diplomat can support the policies of the duly elected President reveals a deep sickness in our government, and our society.

We are more divided than ever and it is only getting worse.

Do you want to see things improve or keep getting worse?

No, he's saying the entity is counter productive.

Weakening NATO and eviscerating the UN Human Rights Council: Trump is doing Putin's work.

Forum List

Back