Trump is FORCED to Attend the Trial?

I did not realize the depth of Judge Mercan’s pettiness.

I thought Trump wanted the trial to pause for a day so he could go to his son’s graduation without missing it. But no. He is required to be in court on pain of jail.

I think Merchannwill let Trump complain and then ultimately let him go to his son’s event. Just to show how fair he is. 😒. But maybe he really will be that childish.

It is absurd to make Trump sit in court for this. A presidential election is far more important than a lengthy show trial of an alleged misdemeanor ginned up into 34 felonies.

N.Y. Crim. Proc. Law § 340.50​

Current through 2024 NY Law Chapters 1-49, 52, and 61-114
Section 340.50 - Defendant's presence at trial1. Except as provided in subdivision two or three, a defendant must be personally present during the trial.2. On motion of a defendant represented by counsel, the court may, in the absence of an objection by the people, issue an order dispensing with the requirement that the defendant be personally present at trial. Such an order may be made only upon the filing of a written and subscribed statement by the defendant declaring that he waives his right to be personally present at the trial and authorizing his attorney to conduct his defense.3.A defendant who conducts himself in so disorderly and disruptive a manner that his trial cannot be carried on with him in the courtroom may be removed from the courtroom if, after he has been warned by the court that he will be removed if he continues such conduct, he continues to engage in such conduct.
N.Y. Crim. Proc. Law § 340.50

N.Y. Crim. Proc. Law § 340.50​

Current through 2024 NY Law Chapters 1-49, 52, and 61-114
Section 340.50 - Defendant's presence at trial1. Except as provided in subdivision two or three, a defendant must be personally present during the trial.2. On motion of a defendant represented by counsel, the court may, in the absence of an objection by the people, issue an order dispensing with the requirement that the defendant be personally present at trial. Such an order may be made only upon the filing of a written and subscribed statement by the defendant declaring that he waives his right to be personally present at the trial and authorizing his attorney to conduct his defense.3.A defendant who conducts himself in so disorderly and disruptive a manner that his trial cannot be carried on with him in the courtroom may be removed from the courtroom if, after he has been warned by the court that he will be removed if he continues such conduct, he continues to engage in such conduct.
N.Y. Crim. Proc. Law § 340.50

That little bitch Merchan wouldn’t have the balls to remove Trump from the courtroom, and certainly not to put him in Jail.

That little bitch Merchan wouldn’t have the balls to remove Trump from the courtroom, and certainly not to put him in Jail.

Judge Merchan would only remove him from the court room for disruptive behavior in the court room.

That's not the situation.

The Judge will decide on the contempt request and at this point will just issue a fine (possibly) then chastise FPOTUS#45 to ensure he understands the restraining order.

We'll see if the Judge has the balls to put Trump in the court buildings lock-up for few hours if there is a repeat of the contemptuous behavior.

Since the Judge refers to him as "Mr. Trump", "Defendant Trump", and "the defendant" - I don't think FPOTUS#45's bluster is something the Judge cares about.

WW

Last edited:
Judge Merchan would only remove him from the court room for disruptive behavior in the court room.

The Judge will decide on the contempt request and at this point will just issue a fine (possibly) then chastise FPOTUS#45 to ensure he understands the restraining order.

We'll see if the Judge has the balls to put Trump in the court buildings lock-up for few hours if there is a repeat of the contemptuous behavior.

WW
Trump opened his mouth ONE TIME during jury selection, and the judge quickly told him to shut the hell up.

Merchan is not going to play, in a jury trial. He sees it as his top responsibility and job to ensure the integrity of the jury trial, and he takes that personally. He is not going to allow Trump to make a mockery of his court or bias/tamper with the jury.

He is not going to show the restraint that Engoron has shown.

Last edited:

He won’t, I’m quite sure.

Lock up an opposition presidential front runner for his political speech, and we lose the republic.

If there were rioting after that, I’d disagree with it, but it would not be violence against democracy, because democracy would be gone.

Merchan and his family make far too much money in the present system for him to take a chance on ending it,

Look at his daughter alone: if the voters mean nothing because elections are to be decided by lawfare, why would she be needed as an election influencer?
Since the Judge refers to him as "Mr. Trump", "Defendant Trump", and "the defendant" - I don't think FPOTUS#45's bluster is something the Judge cares about.

WW
Merchan just does that to be a snotty bitch. The office deserves respect, no matter how much Trump hurts his little feelings.

Merchan just does that to be a snotty bitch. The office deserves respect, no matter how much Trump hurts his little feelings.

I'm sure Judge were respect the office if President Biden were in front of him, because - ya know - Joe Biden actually is President at this time.

If FPOTUS#45 wants respect he should show respect, you now like not being a snotty bitch and remaining seated when the bailiff calls for all to rise when the Jury and the Judge enter the room to take their seats instead of disrespecting the court.

WW

I'm sure Judge were respect the office if President Biden were in front of him, because - ya know - Joe Biden actually is President at this time.

If FPOTUS#45 wants respect he should show respect, you now like not being a snotty bitch and remaining seated when the bailiff calls for all to rise when the Jury and the Judge enter the room to take their seats instead of disrespecting the court.

WW
I'm going to give two different answers to that.

The first assumes that the story is true as written?

Yes, it was an unwise and disrespectful move. You stand for the Judge and the jury for the same reason you call all living presidents, sitting and former, "Mr. President" or someday "Madam President." If he were impeached and convicted, that would not apply.

Trump should have stood, and even though it was the judge who violated protocol disrespectfully in the first place, by calling President Trump "Mr. Trump," Trump should have been the bigger man.

If I can admit that Trump was wrong, can you admit Merchan is continuously wrong with his disrespectful attitude? Not that we should be surprised, the man is every bit as much of a political activist as his daughter.

Second answer is more skeptical:

This story does not ring true. I cannot find it anywhere else besides Newsweek and the source is a social media post.

I would love to be able to verify the details. I would be especially interested if it were really the judge and jury or just the judge that Trump refused to stand for, or just the judge. That's a detail I can easily see being changed to hype it up. I would wonder if he were just slow to get up, due to his age and supposed gassiness in court, and the judge told all to be seated as he walked in while Trump was gathering his legs underneath him.

We could know these details if the trial were televised. It isn't because of an asinine New York rule that keeps the nation from being able to watch this trial that is important to every American, (even more so for Biden's illegals, for that matter). Reason number 10,036 that a state has no business trying a former president who has not been successfully impeached. That's what impeachments are for, to open a former president to the criminal justice system.

Forum List

Back