Trying to clean malware on a Win 8 laptop

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
Despite him being my son...ahem....he downloaded a CD Crack for Spore...which of course came boatloads of malware along with it.
At any rate...some questions:
1) When running HiJackthis - it cannot access the Hosts file - is this something new with Win8 or is this a problem I need to solve?
2) I noticed Spybot scan was waaay too fast, so I assume it is compromised, Adaware was also way too fast.
Again - has something changed in Win8 where permissions do not allow these programs access or am I more screwed than I think.
Thanks!

Despite him being my son...ahem....he downloaded a CD Crack for Spore...which of course came boatloads of malware along with it.
1) When running HiJackthis - it cannot access the Hosts file - is this something new with Win8 or is this a problem I need to solve?
2) I noticed Spybot scan was waaay too fast, so I assume it is compromised, Adaware was also way too fast.
Again - has something changed in Win8 where permissions do not allow these programs access or am I more screwed than I think.
Thanks!

I purchased an app called "Fix-it Utilities, Professional" from Best Buy. It has done wonders for my PC. It's renewable every year, but I'll be glad to renew it if it continues on like it is doing.

Thanks!
Maybe he won´t learn a thing. Tell him to check his cracks he will download anyway with virustotal.com before he uses them.

Thanks!

What you can try is booting your computer from safe mode and run a program.

It is possible that a program might think Windows is the virus and delete Windows.

What you needed to do is buy a 16 or 32 gb thumg drive and back up your machine before getting infected.

No virus program is going to protect you from downloading a virus.

We can talk about this in more posts.

Download malwarebytes which is free on the net. Start-up your computer and immediately begin tapping the F-6 key till you get the menu. When menu comes up select Safe mode. While in Safe mode run malwarebytes full scan. This will take a good while so go watch some t.v. or something. This WILL fix the problem.

Download malwarebytes which is free on the net. Start-up your computer and immediately begin tapping the F-6 key till you get the menu. When menu comes up select Safe mode. While in Safe mode run malwarebytes full scan. This will take a good while so go watch some t.v. or something. This WILL fix the problem.

I did that on Windows XP and it deleted Windows for me. I needed my files so tech support helped me do an install so I could save my files.

I recommend taking the drive out and scanning it from a second computer and copying your files that way. You would need an external case. I recommend doing a clean install which might involve buying a new copy of Windows and getting the drivers from your computer company. Be sure to read the instructions because you don't need every driver.

Thanks!
Maybe he won´t learn a thing. Tell him to check his cracks he will download anyway with virustotal.com before he uses them.

Sounds like he needs some crack spackling.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwCPhHezc-o]crack[/ame] spackle - YouTube

Last edited:

Forum List

Back