U.S., 17 States Sue Amazon Alleging Monopolistic Practices Led To Higher Prices

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
I have noticed over the years some creeping changes on Amazon. Foremost is their practice of bumping other products to the top of the search results when I am looking for a specific product.

These search results are almost never the item I am looking for. Very annoying. Sellers are being extorted to pay extra to get their products bumped up.

For most of the existence of Amazon, Jeff Bezos ran the company as a loss leader in order to increase his market share. Now that he is almost a monopoly, he is capitalizing on it.

Merchants who rely on Amazon to stay in business are forced to pay a range of fees that trickle down to consumers, the FTC argues in the suit. “Pay-to-play advertisements” clog its store and “[degrade] the services” it provides customers, the regulators allege.
The long-awaited lawsuit, filed in Western District of Washington court, marks a historic political test of one of the world’s most influential companies — as well as the regulators who have promised for years to rein in its allegedly monopolistic practices.

[snip]

Tuesday’s lawsuit takes a different tack, focusing on a cornerstone of monopoly law: prices for consumers. Fees, requirements and incentives let Amazon collect one out of every two dollars a seller makes on the platform, effectively resulting in a “50 percent Amazon tax,” Khan said. The FTC argues those costs are then passed onto shoppers.

“Amazon is a monopolist, and it is exploiting its monopolies in ways that leave shoppers and sellers paying more for worse services,” Khan told reporters in a briefing.

I boycotted Amazon some time ago. The sweetheart deal that they made with the USPS was so bad it fucked-up small rural POs across the land.
I'm hooked on Temu and Aliexpress.

I have noticed over the years some creeping changes on Amazon. Foremost is their practice of bumping other products to the top of the search results when I am looking for a specific product.

These search results are almost never the item I am looking for. Very annoying. Sellers are being extorted to pay extra to get their products bumped up.

For most of the existence of Amazon, Jeff Bezos ran the company as a loss leader in order to increase his market share. Now that he is almost a monopoly, he is capitalizing on it.

Merchants who rely on Amazon to stay in business are forced to pay a range of fees that trickle down to consumers, the FTC argues in the suit. “Pay-to-play advertisements” clog its store and “[degrade] the services” it provides customers, the regulators allege.
The long-awaited lawsuit, filed in Western District of Washington court, marks a historic political test of one of the world’s most influential companies — as well as the regulators who have promised for years to rein in its allegedly monopolistic practices.

[snip]

Tuesday’s lawsuit takes a different tack, focusing on a cornerstone of monopoly law: prices for consumers. Fees, requirements and incentives let Amazon collect one out of every two dollars a seller makes on the platform, effectively resulting in a “50 percent Amazon tax,” Khan said. The FTC argues those costs are then passed onto shoppers.

“Amazon is a monopolist, and it is exploiting its monopolies in ways that leave shoppers and sellers paying more for worse services,” Khan told reporters in a briefing.
List by price lowest first. That's what I do at least.

List by price lowest first. That's what I do at least.
I search by specific brand name and product name. Amazon puts products from sellers who paid extra first instead of the specific brand and product.

[snip]

Is Amazon tweaking search results? Say it isn't so!

I have one word for you.

Google.

Google is also being sued for monopolization.

If it works and they manage to break them up, I'll jump up, click My heals, and do an Irish jig. Of course, I'll immediately go into hiding, as the Irish hate it when you screw up their jigs.

Forum List

Back