U.S. Job Openings Fall to Lowest Since 2021

The real jobs report.....Not ABC's clap trap.

Companies added 152,000 jobs last month, below both the 175,000 increase predicted by LSEG economists and the downwardly revised April gain of 188,000. It marked the worst month for job creation since January.

Many years ago I read that the economy had to gain 200,000 jobs per month in order to keep employment in balance. It was also common knowledge that when the unemployment rate was 4%, everyone who really wanted to work was working.

My own take is that Covid caused a lot of two-income families to live on one income. They were surprised to find that they could do that. Once the Pandemic was over, the formerly-working partners became more selective about what jobs they would take, so the unemployment data became compromised. That is, in order to be classified as "Unemployed" you had to be actively looking for work. The people who were sort-of looking, but waiting for "something better" could not easily be classified as looking for work or not looking for work.

Regardless of what the data say, I think that for the most part, everybody who wants to work is working right now. If you are long-term unemployed in this economy your expectations are unrealistic. There are jobs out there, you just don't want to take one.

WEDNESDAY, JUN 05, 2024 - 02:06 PM
Extending the recent trend of unexpectedly weak labor market indicators, moments ago ADP reported that in May, the US added just 152K Private Payrolls, a 36K drop from the March (downward revised) number of 188K (originally 192K) to the lowest number since the 111K reported in January...

From ZH now .
How soon before the total collapse ?

The real jobs report.....Not ABC's clap trap.

Companies added 152,000 jobs last month, below both the 175,000 increase predicted by LSEG economists and the downwardly revised April gain of 188,000. It marked the worst month for job creation since January.
Funny how it’s been 3.5 years of adjusting previous reports DOWNWARDS.
MWhat a koinkydink.

Just for a little context of the number of job openings...

1717594155766.png

That looks boring. I'd have to throw a bunch of cans and bottles out in the water and shoot at them.

What fun.

Looks like heaven to me. When I tire of that I will go do a round of golf...then maybe go get some fresh seafood and make a wonderful dinner.

Looks like heaven to me. When I tire of that I will go do a round of golf...then maybe go get some fresh seafood and make a wonderful dinner.

After a long day working on the banana boat, I suspect you'll be too tired for all that. :laughing0301:

Forum List

Back