Up in Smoke: Most Americans Support Legalizing Marijuana

Which of the following Drugs would you like to see Legalized?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Although I am in favor of its legalization, because it makes sense; I am not an outspoken advocate for it. Smoking weed makes folks seriously stupid, IMO, and we have too many stupid persons already. If it is legalized, fine. If not, the most I can do is say legalization makes sense and leave it at that.

Although I am in favor of its legalization, because it makes sense; I am not an outspoken advocate for it. Smoking weed makes folks seriously stupid, IMO, and we have too many stupid persons already. If it is legalized, fine. If not, the most I can do is say legalization makes sense and leave it at that.

I'm of the same sentiment and I do believe it's a gateway drug. If it's legalized then we have just legitimized several criminal organizations that are not only selling pot but otherhardcore drugs like cocaine and heroin.

and for those who say alcohol is legal, cigs are legal, why not pot...I submit this to you...when alcohol was illegal there was a huge clamor from the public to repeal Prohibition...I don't recall hearing that same clamor after marijuana was made illegal.

and for those who say alcohol is legal, cigs are legal, why not pot...I submit this to you...when alcohol was illegal there was a huge clamor from the public to repeal Prohibition...I don't recall hearing that same clamor after marijuana was made illegal.

Go look up Reefer Madness and a bunch of other things. Marijuana was more of an unknown drug then. And it was originally banned for racist reasons.

I see no reason to continue to criminalize Marijuana. Decriminalize it, like they do in Amsterdam.
Drugs - Amsterdam - Drug laws Amsterdam- Latest news Amsterdam

Dutch law make a clear distinction between hard drugs (drugs with unacceptable risks involved) and soft drugs (drugs with limited risks). Hard drugs are illegal and sentences run up to 12 years imprisonment. Strictly speaking the sale and use of soft drugs is illegal too, but use and possession for personal use (up to 30 grams) a blind eye is turned and you will not be prosecuted. The Dutch government believe by keeping soft drugs separate from other drugs it makes it possible to control it more and therefore stop people turning to harder drugs and hopefully away from crime and addiction.. Dutch law make a clear distinction between hard drugs (drugs with unacceptable risks involved) and soft drugs (drugs with limited risks). Hard drugs are illegal and sentences run up to 12 years imprisonment. Strictly speaking the sale and use of soft drugs is illegal too, but use and possession for personal use (up to 30 grams) a blind eye is turned and you will not be prosecuted. The Dutch government believe by keeping soft drugs separate from other drugs it makes it possible to control it more and therefore stop people turning to harder drugs and hopefully away from crime and addiction..

Does it work? - The statistics say so, there were 2.4 drug-related deaths per million inhabitants in the Netherlands in 1996. In France this figure was 9.5, in Germany 20, in Sweden 23.5 and in Spain 27.1. According to the 1995 report of the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction in Lisbon, the Dutch figures are the lowest in Europe. (source: Justice Department)

Coffeeshops - In the centre of Amsterdam you will see a lot of coffeeshops, a strange word to describe places where you can buy drugs.

Coffeeshops operate under very strict regulations and are getting more strict all the time.
- no active promotion including web sites.
- no selling of hard drugs.
- everyone inside should be at least 18 years of age. Proof required.
- selling limited to 5 grams per sale
- a maximum of 500 grams in on the premises.
- no serving of alcoholic beverages
I think this is a sensible approach. Not legal, but not criminalized.

Go look up Reefer Madness and a bunch of other things. Marijuana was more of an unknown drug then. And it was originally banned for racist reasons.

Does that mean anyone who is against marijuana legalization will have the race card played against them?.

AH pp , THERE YOU GO AGAIN, TRYING TO REWRITE HISTORY, BUT THEN AGAIN YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN OFF THE GOV TEAT AND YOU LIKE IT THAT WAY

Does that mean anyone who is against marijuana legalization will have the race card played against them?.

Silly question, Phil. There are plenty of threads on marijuana legalization on the boards and you don't see "anyone who is against marijuana legalization" having the race card pulled on them at every turn if at all.

Dogbert is correct, BTW. IIRC marijuana was made illegal as a way to oppress Mexicans. The reasons have obviously evolved since then.

Silly question, Phil. There are plenty of threads on marijuana legalization on the boards and you don't see "anyone who is against marijuana legalization" having the race card pulled on them at every turn if at all.

Dogbert is correct, BTW. IIRC marijuana was made illegal as a way to oppress Mexicans. The reasons have obviously evolved since then.

Not really silly if you look at it in the context "racism" is used today. We all have seen evidence of the side being attacked pulling out all the stops in an effort to make their case...I guarantee you if this marijuana question comes up nationally (i.e. in the House and Senate for a vote) the race card will be played.

The reason? Like dogbert said...it will be the Mexicans claiming exactly what he said...and it will be the African American community because they have glorified it's use in rap videos and they are the ones predominately arrested and sent to jail for mj crimes.

Last edited:

I would answer your question Phil but Art here has done a fine job of doing so. I have never actually seen the race card played in the Marijuana debate either. I'm just telling you the truth Phil about why it was banned originally.

Not really silly if you look at in the context "racism" is used today. We all have seen evidence of the side being attacked pulling out all the stops in an effort to make their case...I guarantee you if this marijuana question comes up nationally (i.e. in the House and Senate for a vote) the race card will be played.

Stop being silly and a drama queen. It won't happen and it hasn't happened yet.

Not really silly if you look at in the context "racism" is used today. We all have seen evidence of the side being attacked pulling out all the stops in an effort to make their case...I guarantee you if this marijuana question comes up nationally (i.e. in the House and Senate for a vote) the race card will be played.

Stop being silly and a drama queen. It won't happen and it hasn't happened yet.

Uhhhhh...tell me the last time Congress had this issue before them dumb fuck!!!!

Not really silly if you look at it in the context "racism" is used today. We all have seen evidence of the side being attacked pulling out all the stops in an effort to make their case...I guarantee you if this marijuana question comes up nationally (i.e. in the House and Senate for a vote) the race card will be played.

The reason? Like dogbert said...it will be the Mexicans claiming exactly what he said...and it will be the African American community because they have glorified it's use in rap videos and they are the ones predominately arrested and sent to jail for mj crimes.

The race card just doensn't come up in the MJ debates because there's millions of white kids from the burbs smoking it.

Now if you want to talk about racism and the war on drugs debate then cocaine and crack are the drugs that come to mind.

The race card just doensn't come up in the MJ debates because there's millions of white kids from the burbs smoking it.

Now if you want to talk about racism and the war on drugs debate then cocaine and crack are the drugs that come to mind.

The jailing numbers for those were shocking when I first saw them. Some documentaries I watched shed a lot of interesting light on that issue.

Last edited:

Oh really....check the link I just posted from a marijuana advocacy site.

Here's a link that supports marijuana legalization. It states the race card is dead.etc. etc. but it also is an insight into what EXACTLY will transpire when this issue does go national.

All of you who think this won't happen are just too partisan or too blind to reality to admit it.

read!!!!!!
Marijuana is Practically Legal (But Only For Aging White People Who Live in the Suburbs) | Stop the Drug War (DRCNet)

Those ppl would be retards, Phil, and their argument gets shot down when shown that white suburban youths are constantly targeted by cops for marijuana possession. The person who replied with the "Race card is dead" argument was spot on.

Forum List

Back