UPDATE: Mohammed Assaf IS Arab Idol!!!

I hope such a reconciliation comes soon. It would be nice to think Palestinians like Mohammed Assaf contributed to that happening. God, I pray, let there be a reconciliation between Palestinian factions soon and a speedy end to Injustices in Palestine. Sherri

The US is Paying Abbas to keep that from happening.

But Sherri, I thought this was the Israel/Palestine forum !
Don't worry about this because Frau Sherri is going to become his agent and get him on American Idol. After that, she will get him a tryout on Dancing with the Stars. Following that, being a "lawyer," she is going to write up a good contract for him when he is offered his own Reality Show.

Does ?Arab Idol? Hate Israel? - Middle East - News - Israel National News

Speaking of 'martyrs':

"It was widely reported that shortly after his victory Assaf saluted “the people of Palestine, who have been suffering for decades from the occupation.”

In Arab media, a more precise quotation was given: Assaf stated that Arabs have been suffering occupation “for more than 60 years” – thus referring not to Israel’s victory in the 1967 Six Day War and the subsequent Israeli presence in Judea and Samaria, but to Israel’s establishment by the United Nations as a reborn modern state in 1948.

According to Latma, Assaf also made a less-publicized salute, dedicating his performance to the “shahids” – the Islamic term for “martyr” used to refer to terrorists who are suicide bombers and those who die fighting Israel or the West.

He also dedicated his victory to “the prisoners,” a reference to Arabs imprisoned in Israel for terror or terror-related offenses."

Does ?Arab Idol? Hate Israel? - Middle East - News - Israel National News

Speaking of 'martyrs':

"It was widely reported that shortly after his victory Assaf saluted “the people of Palestine, who have been suffering for decades from the occupation.”

In Arab media, a more precise quotation was given: Assaf stated that Arabs have been suffering occupation “for more than 60 years” – thus referring not to Israel’s victory in the 1967 Six Day War and the subsequent Israeli presence in Judea and Samaria, but to Israel’s establishment by the United Nations as a reborn modern state in 1948.

According to Latma, Assaf also made a less-publicized salute, dedicating his performance to the “shahids” – the Islamic term for “martyr” used to refer to terrorists who are suicide bombers and those who die fighting Israel or the West.

He also dedicated his victory to “the prisoners,” a reference to Arabs imprisoned in Israel for terror or terror-related offenses."

He made it political most likely under duress.

List of Heteronyms

Thanks for the info, Jehan - and welcome to the board. Can you explain the spelling to us, by using Anglicized versions of the Arabic characters? And what would be the difference in (Arabic) pronunciation, please?

And yes, the article I linked to did indeed suggest the 'political' remarks were not necessarily the actual feelings of this talented young man.

Thanks for the info, Jehan - and welcome to the board. Can you explain the spelling to us, by using Anglicized versions of the Arabic characters? And what would be the difference in (Arabic) pronunciation, please?

And yes, the article I linked to did indeed suggest the 'political' remarks were not necessarily the actual feelings of this talented young man.

Thanks for the welcome. I did refer to the difference in Anglicized form - Shaheed vs Shahid.

I can't do better without resorting to transliteration. If you're interested, that would be

Shahīd (شهيد) - martyr, spelt with ya and no alif, emphasis on the second part
Shāhid (شاهد) - watch/witness, spelt with alif and no ya, emphasis on the first part

The article is hilarious, not least for the phrase "an expert in local Arab culture."

Thanks for the welcome. I did refer to the difference in Anglicized form - Shaheed vs Shahid.

I can't do better without resorting to transliteration. If you're interested, that would be

Shahīd (شهيد) - martyr, spelt with ya and no alif, emphasis on the second part
Shāhid (شاهد) - watch/witness, spelt with alif and no ya, emphasis on the first part

The article is hilarious, not least for the phrase "an expert in local Arab culture."

Interesting, thanks for sharing !

Forum List

Back