US pilot shot down four Evil Empire MiGs in 30 minutes I Royce Williams was a real-life “Top Gun”

Litwin

Platinum Member
Sep 3, 2017
GDL&Sweden

I hope, S. Spielberg´ll read this ! Its a potential blockbuster !

230119012734-01-royce-williams-undated-2019.jpg

Royce Williams was a real-life “Top Gun” 10 years before Tom Cruise was even born.

On a cold November day in 1952, Williams shot down four Soviet fighter jets – and became a legend no one would hear about for more than 50 years.

The now 97-year-old former naval aviator was presented with the Navy Cross, the service’s second-highest military honor at a ceremony Friday in California.

Navy Secretary Carlos Del Toro said on Friday that among the many proposals he has reviewed to upgrade sailors’ awards, Williams’ case “stood out above all others. It was very clear to me that his actions were truly extraordinary and more closely aligned with the criteria describing a higher medal.”

“Freedom does not come cheap,” Del Toro said. “It comes through the sacrifice of all those who have and continue to serve in today’s military. Your actions that day kept you free. They kept your shipmates free in Task Force 77. Indeed, they kept all of us free.”

I hope, S. Spielberg´ll read this ! Its a potential blockbuster !

230119012734-01-royce-williams-undated-2019.jpg

Royce Williams was a real-life “Top Gun” 10 years before Tom Cruise was even born.

On a cold November day in 1952, Williams shot down four Soviet fighter jets – and became a legend no one would hear about for more than 50 years.

The now 97-year-old former naval aviator was presented with the Navy Cross, the service’s second-highest military honor at a ceremony Friday in California.

Navy Secretary Carlos Del Toro said on Friday that among the many proposals he has reviewed to upgrade sailors’ awards, Williams’ case “stood out above all others. It was very clear to me that his actions were truly extraordinary and more closely aligned with the criteria describing a higher medal.”

“Freedom does not come cheap,” Del Toro said. “It comes through the sacrifice of all those who have and continue to serve in today’s military. Your actions that day kept you free. They kept your shipmates free in Task Force 77. Indeed, they kept all of us free.”

I knew the story... a story I'd like to know more about is what is going on in Ukraine with this corruption charge that got top brass canned.....
I wonder if Maverick Top Gun will get an Oscar in anti American Hollywood....

I knew the story... a story I'd like to know more about is what is going on in Ukraine with this corruption charge that got top brass canned.....
No way it gets anything. It was too gung ho America.

The future of dogfights will go to the nation that places the most emphasis on winning one. I'm not the expert who can say but it would be interesting in hearing from one that thinks he is.

The point being, putting the winning of a dogfight as top priority, sacrifices other assets.

Who isn't afraid of addressing the topic?

I defend America and that's why I don't want us involved in this war with both sides as corrupt as they can be.... F them both....
This war is being used to drain the US of arms and military hardware. Where is it going? Yes, ammunition will be used up. Do the arms then disappear? Or, is all we are sending them sold to the warlords of Africa?

Randy "Duke" Cunningham shot down the V.C. premier ace in an epic dogfight and helped form the Top Gun program. He went on to become a Republican congressman. Democrats who protected the Keating five including republican McCain wouldn't give Cunningham a break when he got into trouble accepting gifts from lobbyists. They railroaded him into prison and nobody talks about him today.

No way it gets anything. It was too gung ho America.

The future of dogfights will go to the nation that places the most emphasis on winning one. I'm not the expert who can say but it would be interesting in hearing from one that thinks he is.

The point being, putting the winning of a dogfight as top priority, sacrifices other assets.

Who isn't afraid of addressing the topic?

This war is being used to drain the US of arms and military hardware. Where is it going? Yes, ammunition will be used up. Do the arms then disappear? Or, is all we are sending them sold to the warlords of Africa?

Forum List

Back