USA Olympics Wrestler Jordan Burroughs: "Participation trophies are a good thing."

Participation ribbons maybe, not trophies. You have to leave the good stuff for the achievers, that's how life works.

When I wrestled, you'd get a ribbon for 4th or 5th. When you get to the podium, you get the medallion.

I had a bronze once and tossed it to my mom in disgust. I'd often come home with golds though from tourneys and my mom would want to hear more, so proud of it, confused at how casual I was with them. My reaction was "meh", grab my stick and go outside and play hockey. The tourney was over, right?

I do agree with his last tweet posted here, the one on the bottom.

"Dad’s, I’m sorry that you didn’t achieve your athletic goals growing up. But hammering your son into an elite wrestler won’t bring you redemption. It’ll only compromise your chance at a genuine relationship with him."

This is very accurate for all things in life, be it hockey, sports in general or business. Let kids be kids and let them find their way, just don't inject yourself into their pursuits outside of honest guidance.

Canadian hockey parents are some of the worst, being a ref in these game with kids in them can be hell from the stories I've read. We are a messed up society.

Last edited:
Because it spreads to when they are 30 and still living at home.
People have been sharing homes with parents and children much longer than the US has been known about, your so-called bravado is ill-informed of the true nature of humans.

Forum List

Back