USMB Lawyers: Is this sawed-off barreled shotgun legal?

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
A guy gave me this old sawed-off Springfield J. Stevens 20 gauge at a garage sale this weekend. The overall length is 26-1/4" and the barrel measures a little over 19-5/16" from the closed breech face to the muzzle. If I'm not mistaken, federal law requires a minimum overall length of 26" and a minimum barrel length of 18 inches measured from the closed breech or bolt face to the muzzle. I believe it's also required to have a front sight or bead, which I had to fabricate for it. The forearm latch doesn't work very well, so I wrapped it with some electrical tape. The thing is brutal to my gun hand when I touch it off.

What do you think?

sb1.jpg

sb2.jpg

sb3.jpg

sb4.jpg

sb5.jpg

sb6.jpg

A guy gave me this old sawed-off Springfield J. Stevens 20 gauge at a garage sale this weekend. The overall length is 26-1/4" and the barrel measures a little over 19-5/16" from the closed breech face to the muzzle. If I'm not mistaken, federal law requires a minimum overall length of 26" and a minimum barrel length of 18 inches measured from the closed breech or bolt face to the muzzle. I believe it's also required to have a front sight or bead, which I had to fabricate for it. The forearm latch doesn't work very well, so I wrapped it with some electrical tape. The thing is brutal to my gun hand when I touch it off.

What do you think?

sb1.jpg

sb2.jpg

sb3.jpg

sb4.jpg

sb5.jpg

sb6.jpg
Don't get your info here. Call a gun store and they will tell you. Tell them you saw one for sale and may want to buy it if it's legal.

• Banned
What year is it?

1920's or 1930's, before they even started putting serial numbers on them.

According to the BATF website, it's legal:

"a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;"

Which firearms are regulated under the NFA? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

They don't have to be manufactured that way, it's legal to modify one, as long as the lengths are within legal limits.

What year is it?

"a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;"

Which firearms are regulated under the NFA? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

They don't have to be manufactured that way, it's legal to modify one, as long as the lengths are within legal limits.
And to alter it is supposed to be done by someone with the proper license, but screw that.

• Banned
What year is it?

And to alter it is supposed to be done by someone with the proper license, but screw that.

Where does it say that in any federal law? You mean I've been breaking the law by working on my own guns all this time?

:surprised1:

You will have to check STATE law on how to measure. SOME states DO NOT count the breech as part of the barrel.

From what I've found, most states go by the federal law. The acceptable method is to drop a dowel rod down the barrel until it makes contact with the breech face, then measure the dowel.

I checked my state statutes. They are in line with the federal ones.

What do you think?

sb1.jpg

sb2.jpg

sb3.jpg

sb4.jpg

sb5.jpg

sb6.jpg
It's legal, but that's about the worst grip setup you can put on something like that.

What do you think?

sb1.jpg

sb2.jpg

sb3.jpg

sb4.jpg

sb5.jpg

sb6.jpg
It's legal, but that's about the worst grip setup you can put on something like that.

It is pretty bad. I'm thinking of wrapping the grip in friction tape or something.

Forum List

Back