Uvalde police officer had chance to shoot before gunman entered school but hesitated - NYT

I won't judge the actions of a single cop unless I have more details. What he is living through now is punishment enough, though of course the dead and their families suffered far more for this fateful decision.

If he saw a man running in with a gun out in the open, he had to shoot him. There will be some who wonder "did he not engage him out of fear for his own life"?

It's why I say the best cops are former soldiers because their instincts and judgement are generally better and their commitment to their oath doesn't depends on a nice paycheck and pension.

Certainly in such situations such as this it is, but even in relaxed engagements, I would imagine they aren't going to be trigger happy unless they are sure the civilian poses a threat.

I won't judge the actions of a single cop unless I have more details. What he is living through now is punishment enough, though of course the dead and their families suffered far more for this fateful decision.

If he saw a man running in with a gun out in the open, he had to shoot him. There will be some who wonder "did he not engage him out of fear for his own life"?

It's why I say the best cops are former soldiers because their instincts and judgement are generally better and their commitment to their oath doesn't depends on a nice paycheck and pension.

Certainly in such situations such as this it is, but even in relaxed engagements, I would imagine they aren't going to be trigger happy unless they are sure the civilian poses a threat.
Yep, it's a "what if" he will have to live with the rest of his life so I'm not going to judge.

Forum List

Back