Wanna see a lethal "bullet hole"?

If he was a foot soldier it would have gone over his head. An old Civil War saying was "I never saw a dead cavalry soldier". I guess it didnt apply in Napoliens day

If he was a foot soldier it would have gone over his head. An old Civil War saying was "I never saw a dead cavalry soldier". I guess it didnt apply in Napoliens day
Didn't apply in the CW either. JEB Stuart was killed on horseback by a dismounted Yankee trooper.

JEB Stuart lurched forward in his saddle, his black plumed hat dropping to the ground. Seeing the blood on his general's coat, Captain Gustavus Dorsey, one of Stuart's closest staff members, extended his arm towards Stuart, asking desperately if the general was shot. "I'm afraid I am," Stuart said as he was carefully removed from his horse and rested against a nearby tree.

In fact many officers were mortally wounded on horseback during the war.....The most famous "oh shit" line going to Union General John Sedgwick......

They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
He was hit by a confederate sharpshooter a few minutes later at the battle of Spotsylvania while his men were ducking for cover, on May 9, 1864.

Last edited:
Didn't apply in the CW either. JEB Stuart was killed on horseback by a dismounted Yankee trooper.

JEB Stuart lurched forward in his saddle, his black plumed hat dropping to the ground. Seeing the blood on his general's coat, Captain Gustavus Dorsey, one of Stuart's closest staff members, extended his arm towards Stuart, asking desperately if the general was shot. "I'm afraid I am," Stuart said as he was carefully removed from his horse and rested against a nearby tree.

In fact many officers were mortally wounded on horseback during the war.....The most famous "oh shit" line going to Union General John Sedgwick......

They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
He was hit by a confederate sharpshooter a few minutes later at the battle of Spotsylvania while his men were ducking for cover, on May 9, 1864.
Actually the old saying is attributed to Yankee infantry soldiers. There are period photos of wheel barrows of infantry corpses hauled away for burial. Is Jeb Stuart all ya got to make a case about cavalry?

I'm no expert but it seems that the impact of a large piece of iron on a body would do more damage than a clean hole in and out.

LOL....I was at a gun/militaria shop this week and I asked if the brass helmet that was on consignment there was a Cuirassier's helmet....The shop owner said yeas and that all he needed was that breastplate with the cannonball hole in it!

Come to find out it's a very famous item.

Forum List

Back