Waylon Jennings Recalls Final Moments Before Buddy Holly’s Tragic Plane Crash

DudleySmith

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2020
Probably not news to old people, or even interesting news, but I ran across it looking for something else so here it is.

We're supposed to include commnets in links, but what to say? Golly Gee Whiz?

There was a 22 pistol found at the scene of the plane crash. Some conspiracy theorists claimed that Holly shot the pilot in mid flight and some say that Holly shot the Big Bopper trying to go get help as his body was discovered the farest distance from the crash site. They exhumed the Big Bopper and x-rayed his remains. They said every bone in his body was broken from the impact. There was no way he was alive when he wound up where he was since his body, even though it was the biggest one of all, was found farthest from the actual crash site. So people were thinking Holly shot the Big Bopper trying to get away. No bullet holes were found, although 2 spent 22 shell casings were found at the scene. It turns out the farmer that discovered the weapon fired it twice to see if it would shoot.

Crazy stuff.

Last edited:
My dad was a big Holly fan. I know all the songs by heart as it's all I heard growing up.

My sisters husband was stationed in Lubbock in the mid 80's so my parents went to visit. My dad went to Holly's parents house and they invited him in and visited for like 2 hours telling him stories. They said they were so glad that Buddy still had fans.

One story I remember him telling is about the movie (that we went to as soon as it came out) is his mom wasn't happy about the scene where Buddy punches the guy. She says Buddy would never have hit anyone.

Never heard that stuff before.

None of it actually happened. The plane just lost control in IMC and hit the ground. No real mystery there. It very well could have been tail heavy considering they had the two heaviest people in the rear of the plane.

Last edited:
An intreresting factoid from this crash:

Buddy Hollys wife was pregnant and found out about the crash from a news report. The psychological trauma of finding out in such a way actually caused her to miscarry her baby. This is what led law enforcement to begin withholding the names of crash victims until families are notified.

Forum List

Back