We All Believe in Flying Spaghetti Monsters

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Science has always been a fascinating subject for me. Since I was very young, I have taken a strong interest in most all aspects of science, particularly what is on the cutting edge. I read books about it, I watch documentaries about it, I listen to lectures about it. I don't subscribe to any magazines or trade journals but I think I am probably up to speed on most of what is happening in science.

There are a lot of atheist and agnostic scientists, however, some are very spiritual. Some are even devoutly religious. Some atheist scientists have been converted as a result of the science itself. It's hard to ignore the realities of a finely tuned universe or the detailed complexity of a DNA molecule. Still, the atheist/agnostic can always find a way to rationalize any disbelief.

Quantum physics and subatomic science is relatively new science. Within it are some very strange and weird things compared with what our conventional wisdom would otherwise have us logically believe. We see things happening that shouldn't happen. Things we cannot explain. Things that defy what we understand as physics. Yet we can observe them, we can calculate them.... not only that, we change what they are and what they were based on our observing them and measuring them. Oh yes, it gets very confusing. Atoms are amazing things at the subatomic level.

Quantum physics has now paved the way for a new hypothesis regarding our finely-tuned universe. Theory has it, we are part of a Multiverse. Somewhere out beyond our cosmos, is this thing we can never see or identify, spitting out universes of all shapes and sizes.... we happen to be in one that is perfectly suited for life, with all the right combinations. Lucky us! You see? We don't need no stinkin' Creator! But isn't this the same thing as Flying Spaghetti Monster?

I asked an Atheist Scientist once, "If you were searching for scientific evidence for God, what would you hope to find?" I was genuinely curious to know but he felt my question was rhetorical. I think we all have to believe in Creation, it's just a matter of what you believe created us.

When you get into the really deep geek aspects of science it's hard not to wax spiritual about it. As a fave saying goes, "If after studying the sciences you aren't then deeply disturbed, you didn't understand a damned thing."

When you get into the really deep geek aspects of science it's hard not to wax spiritual about it. As a fave saying goes, "If after studying the sciences you aren't then deeply disturbed, you didn't understand a damned thing."

It's their childhood brainwashing......they can't help themselves.

No it's because the way things work easily lends itself to spiritual ideas and concepts. Inorganic molecules coming together just happens to result in organic molecules which in turn come together and create life? There's a lot of curious coinicidences in science that religion attests or asserts.

No it's because the way things work easily lends itself to spiritual ideas and concepts. Inorganic molecules coming together just happens to result in organic molecules which in turn come together and create life? There's a lot of curious coinicidences in science that religion attests or asserts.

Whatever you say. It's a bunch of ancient fairy tales upon which they base their belief system. I'm a Jack and the Beanstalk man myself.....I liked the ogre......OK, so he did have a few foot problems.

0685baff533f356a49e4df6ddd2fee44.jpg

Science has always been a fascinating subject for me. Since I was very young, I have taken a strong interest in most all aspects of science, particularly what is on the cutting edge. I read books about it, I watch documentaries about it, I listen to lectures about it. I don't subscribe to any magazines or trade journals but I think I am probably up to speed on most of what is happening in science.

There are a lot of atheist and agnostic scientists, however, some are very spiritual. Some are even devoutly religious. Some atheist scientists have been converted as a result of the science itself. It's hard to ignore the realities of a finely tuned universe or the detailed complexity of a DNA molecule. Still, the atheist/agnostic can always find a way to rationalize any disbelief.

Quantum physics and subatomic science is relatively new science. Within it are some very strange and weird things compared with what our conventional wisdom would otherwise have us logically believe. We see things happening that shouldn't happen. Things we cannot explain. Things that defy what we understand as physics. Yet we can observe them, we can calculate them.... not only that, we change what they are and what they were based on our observing them and measuring them. Oh yes, it gets very confusing. Atoms are amazing things at the subatomic level.

Quantum physics has now paved the way for a new hypothesis regarding our finely-tuned universe. Theory has it, we are part of a Multiverse. Somewhere out beyond our cosmos, is this thing we can never see or identify, spitting out universes of all shapes and sizes.... we happen to be in one that is perfectly suited for life, with all the right combinations. Lucky us! You see? We don't need no stinkin' Creator! But isn't this the same thing as Flying Spaghetti Monster?

I asked an Atheist Scientist once, "If you were searching for scientific evidence for God, what would you hope to find?" I was genuinely curious to know but he felt my question was rhetorical. I think we all have to believe in Creation, it's just a matter of what you believe created us.

I don't quite get the spiritual who seem so determined that those of us who are not- should be like them.

I don't need a Flying Spaghetti Monster or a Big Bang to accept the science of the world.

But I see no evidence of a God- and have no need of a God.

But I also really don't care if anyone else does believe in God or the spiritual- hey dawn in the desert is amazing enough to inspire spirtuality- I get that.
Well if I was looking for scientific evidence for God- how about

It's a bunch of ancient fairy tales upon which they base their belief system.

Ahhh....
As opposed to modern fairy tales like the multiverse?
Can you explain the observer effect?
Can you explain quantum entanglement?
How does Darwinism explain mitochondrion?
Can you tell us what happened before the big bang?
Or... Is the big bang theory even valid in light of a universe accelerating in expansion?

Some believe we have a universe that is infinite and has always existed. The problem is, infinity or 'steady state theory' contradicts laws of thermodynamics. Plus, there is the problem of a universe in motion, expanding... something set it into motion or Ike Newton had it all wrong. Not to mention, the concept of infinity is the basis for all belief in God.

The point of the OP, in case you missed it, is that it doesn't matter if you believe in God or Science, you still believe in a Flying Spaghetti Monster.

It's a bunch of ancient fairy tales upon which they base their belief system.

Ahhh....
As opposed to modern fairy tales like the multiverse?
Can you explain the observer effect?
Can you explain quantum entanglement?
How does Darwinism explain mitochondrion?
Can you tell us what happened before the big bang?
Or... Is the big bang theory even valid in light of a universe accelerating in expansion?

Some believe we have a universe that is infinite and has always existed. The problem is, infinity or 'steady state theory' contradicts laws of thermodynamics. Plus, there is the problem of a universe in motion, expanding... something set it into motion or Ike Newton had it all wrong. Not to mention, the concept of infinity is the basis for all belief in God.

The point of the OP, in case you missed it, is that it doesn't matter if you believe in God or Science, you still believe in a Flying Spaghetti Monster.

No but I'm good at recognizing a load of horse shit. When ancient sheep and camel herders who believed in witches and thought the earth was flat come out with some totally ridiculous writings I'm not very impressed.

No but I'm good at recognizing a load of horse shit. When ancient sheep and camel herders who believed in witches and thought the earth was flat come out with some totally ridiculous writings I'm not very impressed.
Nor are your arguments very impressive --- except to maybe yourself.

You repeatedly note that the Bible says we shall be able to handle poisonous snakes, and then some believers are not successful in their attempts. Well, for one, I say their faith is of the poorest understanding. Secondly, just because you find it amusing some died trying to prove their point, that is enough for you to discount all revelations of God? You must really want "no God" to be the case to base your conclusions on the flimsiest of examples, not to mention avoiding a thousand other facts or questions.

So you're thinking the only way a creator entity could possibly exist is if ancient sheep herders came out with writings and were correct? :dunno:

This is not about your hatred for religion. I get it... you don't like religion or religious folk. Okay? I'm not here to discuss religious beliefs. If you believe in science and believe we do exist, then you believe in Flying Spaghetti Monsters. Something created a universe, a finely tuned universe and did it in a way which enabled life to exist. Explore this for yourself. The prevailing theory in Science today is that we are a part of a multiverse.

Just so happens, we can never observe the other multiverses or where they come from. So how is this any different than belief in a spiritual power?

Forum List

Back