WeatherBug:

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
I'd been using WeatherBug since it was introduced. I liked it because it loaded automatically every morning and told me what I wanted to know about the weather, which is the temperature, humidity and what to expect.

Recently, messages to upgrade to the new version of WeatherBug began. These messages warned that the existing version would become obsolete on July 1. For me, this is an annoyance because I was perfectly satisfied with the existing version. In spite of the upgrade warning the existing version continued to work just fine but today it started behaving strangely.

Some time ago I read a warning about WeatherBug being a vulnerable utility. More recently I read that installing the upgrade was potentially troublesome. So weighing the actual value and necessity of this program to me I decided to just uninstall it and start using the National Weather Service.

Was this the right move? Anyone have an opinion?

I used the old one and loved it. The new one has proven to be far from accurate. Call your local airport and lock into their sat. feed.
Its legal,accurate and free. YOUR tax dollars pay for it.

I used the old one and loved it. The new one has proven to be far from accurate. Call your local airport and lock into their sat. feed.
Its legal,accurate and free. YOUR tax dollars pay for it.
What I've done is bookmark the National Weather Service, which seems to be an elaborate WeatherBug without the pretty colors and convenient automatic access.

i got rid of it..kept thinking i was in different locations....never could convince it that i was where i was
It seems to be a consistent annoyance with most convenient applications that once you get used to them and grow to like them they are "upgraded," which almost always turns out to be a functional downgrade.

In the broader example; for my limited purposes I was perfectly content with Windows 98(SE). While I managed to avoid being tormented by most of the subsequent "upgrades" I've become content with Windows 7, but I know the end is near and soon I will have weeks or months of frustrating aggravation imposed on me with a mandatory new edition, whether Windows 10 or something even newer.

While every one of these "upgrades" does contain one or two notable and useful innovations I don't believe it is necessary to present them in a confusing, entirely new system that takes weeks or months to get used to. I would be willing to pay the price of a full "upgrade" just to have the innovative features installed into a system I've been living with for a few years rather than starting over again with a complete stranger.

It's like being forced to move every few years to a new house in a new neighborhood just to have a new and attractive bed-partner. Just drop the new bed-partner in and I'll pay the price of the full "upgrade." For the most part, leave well enough alone!

Or at least give me a damn choice!

Last edited:
This is easier. Wake up, look out the window, and bam, there is your weather. ;)
Better still, sleep on your lawn. That way you'll have a truly in-depth awareness of the weather. Especially when it rains.

(And you won't even have to get up to pee.)
We were doing a Civ War living history in Gagiesburg (Gettysburg) many moons ago, one lady was commenting on the tents and asked where we slept when the event closed down at night. Told her we slept in the tents, a look of surprise came over her face and asked what happens if it rained...... Told her we got wet....... She couldn't comprehend the concept..... :lol:

Forum List

Back