Wendy's is going to start surge-pricing burgers, fries, and more

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

• Wendy's will start surge-pricing menu items as early as 2025 as it rolls out digital menus.
  • Similar to how Uber and Lyft work, menu items will vary in price depending on demand.
  • The new pricing system is one of several changes the company has made to implement more technology.
If you see a line forming at Wendy's, you might want to try again in a couple of hours.

That's because Wendy's is going to start surge-pricing its menu items by 2025 as it rolls out digital menus, according to its fourth-quarter earnings call.

That means your go-to order may get more expensive — or cheaper — depending on the time of day you go.

The new pricing model is a first for the fast-food industry. But it's a familiar concept to those who use ride-share apps. Similar to models at Uber and Lyft, Wendy's menu items will fluctuate in price depending on demand at the time you order.

Oddly enough I don't hate this idea.

Wendy's has always had higher prices due to better overall quality.

Bidenomics has really hurt them as far as what they are paying for ingredients, better beef and such.

fullscreen.svg

• Wendy's will start surge-pricing menu items as early as 2025 as it rolls out digital menus.
  • Similar to how Uber and Lyft work, menu items will vary in price depending on demand.
  • The new pricing system is one of several changes the company has made to implement more technology.
If you see a line forming at Wendy's, you might want to try again in a couple of hours.

That's because Wendy's is going to start surge-pricing its menu items by 2025 as it rolls out digital menus, according to its fourth-quarter earnings call.

That means your go-to order may get more expensive — or cheaper — depending on the time of day you go.

The new pricing model is a first for the fast-food industry. But it's a familiar concept to those who use ride-share apps. Similar to models at Uber and Lyft, Wendy's menu items will fluctuate in price depending on demand at the time you order.

Bidenomics has really hurt them as far as what they are paying for ingredients, better beef and such.

fullscreen.svg
Most fast food customers are progs anyway, let them pay the inflated prices that they are responsible for.

fullscreen.svg
/----/ Just one more reason why I don't buy fast food. Surge al they want.

I had a burger at a Wendy's at the Phoenix airport.. it was a damn good burger...

I had a burger at a Wendy's at the Phoenix airport.. it was a damn good burger...

Yea, Wendys is good, if you can ever get yourself to an in-and-out, they are the BEST. And damn reasonably priced, too. They toast the buns lightly, damn that makes a hamburger SOOOO much better.

fullscreen.svg
Yay capitalism! Lets see how it works out.

Yay capitalism! Lets see how it works out.
Yeah, being first is a risk.

R.05f8e30fb76ecd294f4fc54f9127969d

I know the one in my town is packed around lunch time so why not charge more when you have to have more staff on hand to service them?

It could also help them reduce staff hours in states where they have to pay burger flippers $15 - $20 a hour.

fullscreen.svg

It will be interesting to see the results.

Yeah, being first is a risk.

R.05f8e30fb76ecd294f4fc54f9127969d

I know the one in my town is packed around lunch time so why not charge more when you have to have more staff on hand to service them?

It could also help them reduce staff hours in states where they have to pay burger flippers $15 - $20 a hour.
The problem is that the product provided is standardized, with similar pricing levels. Arbitrarily raise your prices in such a market and you will lose sales.

The problem is that the product provided is standardized, with similar pricing levels. Arbitrarily raise your prices in such a market and you will lose sales.
/----/ Better call every restaurant in the country and tell them to stop Early Bird Specials, and Senior discounts. You can't have different prices during the day. CHOP CHOP

/----/ Better call every restaurant in the country and tell them to stop Early Bird Specials, and Senior discounts. You can't have different prices during the day. CHOP CHOP
Early Bird specials are generally smaller or different items. Senior discounts aren't surge pricing.

Hey if you think this is a good idea, thats fine. I don't have a dog in this hunt. Recent attempts at surge pricing have not done well.

Better call every restaurant in the country and tell them to stop Early Bird Specials, and Senior discounts.
These tactics are the opposite of what is being proposed. They are going to raise prices not discount them. The whole idea of fast food is convenience and cheap prices. The promotions that you suggested are made to increase patronage during slow times or to attract a demographic that might not otherwise use your business. The idea of raising prices to deter patronage during a particular time is a losing proposition. IMHO

fullscreen.svg
I pay $2.50 a pound for hamburger meat and I am sure that Wendy's gets it cheaper from their volume.

Forum List

Back