Wendy's is going to start surge-pricing burgers, fries, and more

/----/ I guess you never booked an airline ticket on short notice, or booked a restaurant on Valentine's day, or Uber during rush hour, but, no worries, Wendy's is backing off.

But none of that is food. I don't have to have an airline ticket or an Uber. But I do need to eat. Arbitrarily jacking up prices randomly at different times throughout the day is bullshit.

I'm old school, so my go to was always Original Tommy's from Los Angeles. THEIR burgers are loaded with flavor.
ABSOLUTE BEST BURGER I've ever had was the Knockout at the Scenic Drive In in Modesto, CA. DELICIOUS--beef, cheese, bacon, shredded lettuce, tomato, smashed avocado, diced fresh jalapenos, and I believe a slice of pickle (could be wrong). Heaven on a bun since 1956.

I certainly am aware of the point you are making with airlines and hotels. Those are apples and oranges to fast food and often grow into 10s to 100s of dollars of increases. I don't think a person that is scrimping on bucks and going to a fast food for a quick lunch is going to go to Wendy's and pay an inflated price when they can go literally next door to a Burger King and get two Whoppers for $6. I wasn't worried --just commenting on what I consider to be a bad business move for a fast food outlet. I haven't been to Wendy's in over 5 years.
/—-/ You make a valid point but only if the competition doesn’t jump on the band wagon. Which history shows they would have proven successful. Look for a quite rollout when the dusts settles.

Last edited:
Look for a quit rollout when the dusts settles.
No doubt. You need look no further than McDs to substantiate that point. The dollar menu became the value menu which in turn became the Buy one get one 1/2 off. It is price creep and it is the way business increases prices to keep up with costs, however, I don't believe increasing prices over the normal menu price because of rush time in a fast food place will ever fly.

But none of that is food. I don't have to have an airline ticket or an Uber. But I do need to eat. Arbitrarily jacking up prices randomly at different times throughout the day is bullshit.
/——/ I don’t like it either, but it is common practice even in restaurants.

No doubt. You need look no further than McDs to substantiate that point. The dollar menu became the value menu which in turn became the Buy one get one 1/2 off. It is price creep and it is the way business increases prices to keep up with costs, however, I don't believe increasing prices over the normal menu price because of rush time in a fast food place will ever fly.
/——/ The article I posted also said it can benefit customers by lowering prices for breakfast menus to attract more customers.

/——/ The article I posted also said it can benefit customers by lowering prices for breakfast menus to attract more customers.
That fits in with the smoke and mirrors. Breakfast menu is a high profit margin item, like french fries, onion rings and soda pop. I mean, for an example off the top my head, Red Robin charges $8 for an order of onion rings. Basically ONE slice of a large onion. That equates to, conservatively, $64/onion. McDs french fries are what, a couple dollars for a small potato and soda pop is nothing but profit.

I'm talking fast food. We have a burger joint in Lafayette that's a mom and pop shop that has been open for almost 70 years and is the burger in Louisiana that all burgers are measured against. But it's not fast food.
Tommy's IS fast food. Their original location, off of Beverly Blvd is literally a shed. They didn't even serve French fries because they didn't have the space, so you got a bag of chips

Forum List

Back