What are you listening to?

Flora Purim did a killer version of this one. But I can't get it on the Internet.

Is it maybe blocked in your location?

Got to hang with Flora and Airto many years ago in Philly at the Chestnut Cabaret.... one of the two best shows I ever saw there (the other was King Sunny Adé)

That always makes me think of this:

Bossa Nova is exactly sixty years old this year, invented singlehandedly by then-27-year-old João Gilberto, a severely introspective and unique artist whose 1958 single "Chega de Saudade" (roughly, "away with blues") took an entirely new approach to Brazilian popular music. Before Gilberto singers in Brasil used loud, brash operatic voices; Gilberto took that down to minus-11 singing in a near-whisper and simultaneously mimicking the rhythm of the tamborim with the right hand of his guitar. Nothing like it had ever been heard before and it went like this:

Not long after Stan Getz got hold of it and recorded with Gilberto where he contributed overbearing sax solos :uhh: His German then-wife Astrid sang the English version of "Garota de Ipanema" as "Girl from Ipanema" and the craze was on and the rest is musically delicious history.

Gilberto came from a wealthy family in Bahia where his father expected him to be a doctor in the family tradition but João was different. At one point his father committed him to an insane asylum where he famously gazed out the window and said to a doctor "look, the trees have no hair". The doctor replied "Trees don't have hair, João" to which João immediately shot back "and there are people who have no poetry". He was soon out of there to pursue his music, usually with some borrowed car while sleeping on various people's couches and playing for hours in the bathroom. After Chega de Saudade he's had a musical career ever since, recording and performing. It's arguable that by now a lot more people have been healed by musician João Gilberto than would have been healed by Doctor Gilberto.

"Bossa nova" simply means "new style". João is still with us today at age 87.

Last edited:

That always makes me think of this:

Bossa Nova is exactly sixty years old this year, invented singlehandedly by then-28-year-old João Gilberto, a severely introspective and unique artist whose 1958 single "Chega de Saudade" (roughly, "away with blues") took an entirely new approach to Brazilian popular music. Before Gilberto singers in Brasil used loud, brash operatic voices; Gilberto took that down to minus-11 singing in a near-whisper and simultaneously mimicking the rhythm of the tamborim with the right hand of his guitar. Nothing like it had ever been heard before and it went like this:

Not long after Stan Getz got hold of it and recorded with Gilberto where he contributed overbearing sax solos :uhh: His German then-wife Astrid sang the English version of "Garota de Ipanema" as "Girl from Ipanema" and the craze was on and the rest is musically delicious history.

Gilberto came from a wealthy family in Bahia where his father expected him to be a doctor in the family tradition but João was different. At one point his father committed him to an insane asylum where he famously gazed out the window and said to a doctor "look, the trees have no hair". The doctor replied "Trees don't have hair, João" to which João immediately shot back "and there are people who have no poetry". He was soon out of there to pursue his music, usually with some borrowed car while sleeping on various people's couches and playing for hours in the bathroom. It's arguable that by now a lot more people have been healed by musician João Gilberto than would have been healed by Doctor Gilberto.

"Bossa nova" simply means "new style". João is still with us today at age 87.

More modern descendant in the same style: Marisa Monte (MON-chee) "Para Mais Ninguem"

I freaking love Marisa Monte. When she sings like this I want to have her babies.
Amirite, CrusaderFrank ?

Flora Purim did a killer version of this one. But I can't get it on the Internet.

Is it maybe blocked in your location?

Got to hang with Flora and Airto many years ago in Philly at the Chestnut Cabaret.... one of the two best shows I ever saw there (the other was King Sunny Adé)

The version I wanted is on this album, which I do have, but can't source it on the Internet

Must have been something to see her performing live.

This is Audley freed here, too:

Real stuff. I love this. White boy Hendrix, srsly.

This was a great band as well.

Forum List

Back