What do you read? Favorite books?

Some of my favorite books (many of which I still have today)..................

Illusions and Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach.

The Tao Te Ching, written by Sun-Tzu and translated by Red Pine. Not only does it have the original Mangwari texts in it, but it also has commentaries by several great Asian philosophers for each verse.

The Prophet by Kahlil Gilbran.

The Tao of Pooh.

The I-Ching (book of Changes).

Almost anything ever written by Harlan Ellison, who is a GREAT short story writer. Good luck finding his stuff though, because it flies off of the shelf in the bookstore, and most used book places find it hard to keep his stuff in stock as well, because he's got a lot of loyal fans who gobble his stuff up. First book I ever read by him was "Gentleman Junkie and Other Stories of the Hung Up Generation". "Love Ain't Nothing but Sex Misspelled" was another great one.

Those are my top favorites.

james lee burke

i reread 'a separate peace' by knowles every few years

he did that short story....i could scream but i have no mouth? heinlein?

Robert Heinlein. Stranger in a Strange Land is his most popular, but he has many that are short. If you're interested in checking him out, I'd get Methuselah's Children, as it is the debut of my favorite character, Lazarus Long.

That title, I Could Scream..., does not sound familiar so I don't think it is Heinlein. I'll have to check, though.

I'll have to look for A Separate Peace. I am always looking for new titles.

Last edited:
Oooohhh! I love both of those by Bach as well. I have not read that Tao Te Ching but will look for it, as it is right up my alley.

I keep hearing Harlan Ellison's name so have added his name.

Keep them coming guys, I'm making my summer reading list. Xoxoxo

Some of my favorite books (many of which I still have today)..................

Illusions and Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach.

The Tao Te Ching, written by Sun-Tzu and translated by Red Pine. Not only does it have the original Mangwari texts in it, but it also has commentaries by several great Asian philosophers for each verse.

The Prophet by Kahlil Gilbran.

The Tao of Pooh.

The I-Ching (book of Changes).

Almost anything ever written by Harlan Ellison, who is a GREAT short story writer. Good luck finding his stuff though, because it flies off of the shelf in the bookstore, and most used book places find it hard to keep his stuff in stock as well, because he's got a lot of loyal fans who gobble his stuff up. First book I ever read by him was "Gentleman Junkie and Other Stories of the Hung Up Generation". "Love Ain't Nothing but Sex Misspelled" was another great one.

Those are my top favorites.

I am fascinated by languages, cultures and religions as well, even long dead ones. I've done all of the majors, the last being the Bhagavad Gita.

Mythologies as well, but I've probably been through all of those. There was a Tad Williams trilogy that was full of Egyptian mythology I loved, even though he wasn't particularly accurate.

Anything explaining traditions and cultures, like decorating eggs in some African cultures that resemble kilt traditions. The pattern is passed down from generation to generation, and when you marry, you add a single line or stroke to the pattern. Your lineage can be determined by a glance at your egg. Fascinating!

SciFi and fantasy, particularly those with Good vs Evil themes, period pieces (e.g. the Brontes).

The more ideas the better. Otherwise, I'll be stuck arguing with people on the internet all summer. :D

Heinlein, Louisa May Alcott, Jane Austen and Chaim Potok are the names which quickly come to mind as favorites.

Some books as standalones because I either don't recall the author's other works or recall some but don't care for them:

Jane Eyre -- Charlotte Brontë -- read this one many times and own several movie adapations
Cat's Cradle -- Kurt Vonnegut
The Princess Bride -- William Goldman

I love period pieces, too. Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights are two of my favorites, both by Brontes, but different sisters.

[/B]
Some books as standalones because I either don't recall the author's other works or recall some but don't care for them:

Jane Eyre -- Charlotte Brontë -- read this one many times and own several movie adapations

I read mostly, history, sociology, military, economics and other non-fiction stuff. I have tried Tolkien, Blish and Roddenberry....but not much,,,no...

The Pendergast Series by Robert Preston and Lincoln Childs
Anything historical either fiction or non-fiction. Just read a book called "The Devil in the White City" a story about two concurrent historical events; the Chicago World's Fair and the prolific serial killer H.H. Holmes.

I also will read science fiction and true detective stories.

I've read everything by Robert Heinlein

The Wheel of Time series

Sword of Truth series

Piers Anthony's Tarot trilogy

Check out David Webber, he does the Harrington series which is not bad and he has a series called the Safehold series. Sci fi mostly. He also did books with other authors, he has his own web page.

The Pendergast Series by Robert Preston and Lincoln Childs
Anything historical either fiction or non-fiction. Just read a book called "The Devil in the White City" a story about two concurrent historical events; the Chicago World's Fair and the prolific serial killer H.H. Holmes.

I also will read science fiction and true detective stories.

I just ordered Relic, the first of that series. I've heard good things about it, and I love long series.

Thanks! I will get one of those for a taste. Which do you recommend: Harrington or Safehold?

I've read everything by Robert Heinlein

The Wheel of Time series

Sword of Truth series

Piers Anthony's Tarot trilogy

Check out David Webber, he does the Harrington series which is not bad and he has a series called the Safehold series. Sci fi mostly. He also did books with other authors, he has his own web page.

Depends Harrington is a space Opera it is like 15 or more books with about 10 more set in the Universe. Safehold is currently 7 books with the last one released in the last couple months. If you want paper backs either should be out in those in quanity except the latest ones.

Harrington is a space ship officer that rises through the books to senior admiral with lots of war and fighting but not to much technical stuff. She belongs to a small space empire of only about 4 planets as I recall they fight another space empire bigger then them for most of the series. Lots of space battles and land action.

Safehold is about the destruction of the Human race by an alien species. The survivors sneak off to Safehold but the majority of the command crew subvert the long term plan to raise to fight again and straddle the colonist with a false religion and heavy restrictions. 800 or so years after they land a human from the original terran federation wakes up inside a personal remote body, they call it a PICA. She sets out to break the hold Mother Church has on the planet to kick start the human race back to the stars and revenge against the original aliens.

So while it is Sci Fi the books mostly deal with a water and steam driven society and the attempts to make better technology, again a LOT of sea battles and land battles.

And none of that is spoiler you learn most of that right off the bat, well being a space opera you would realize where Harrington is going as well.

I love period pieces, too. Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights are two of my favorites, both by Brontes, but different sisters.

[/B]

For period pieces, try anything by Thomas Hardy, for example:

Tess of the d'Urbervilles
Far from the Madding Crowd
Jude the Obscure
The Mayor of Casterbridge: The Life and Death of a Man of Character
The Return of the Native
A Pair of Blue Eyes

Forum List

Back