What do you read? Favorite books?

Anne Rice (Mayfair Witch series), Vampire series.
Some Stephen King. Lately a lot of his works suck.
Robert McGammon (I have all his books).
Some historical romance..and I skip over the romance part. Corny. I like Beatrice Small's stories. Anything that is 15th to 18th centuries.

Authors I like a lot (I don't use the term favorites), but I would select from these if given choices.

Doris Lessing
Iris Murdoch
Thomas Hardy
Ruth Rendell
Raymond Chandler
PD James
Elizabeth Bowen
Margaret Drabble
Emile Zola
Honore Balzac
Guy de Maupassant
Gabriel García Márquez

I make no bones about my genre of preference. I read ancient historical fiction almost exclusively. Especially novels covering antiquity (specifically the Romans) and medieval Europe.

I've read Tess and enjoyed it. I will look for more by him, thank you. Are there any you recommend? Any that are not too depressing?

I love period pieces, too. Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights are two of my favorites, both by Brontes, but different sisters.

[/B]
Some books as standalones because I either don't recall the author's other works or recall some but don't care for them:

Jane Eyre -- Charlotte Brontë -- read this one many times and own several movie adapations
Cat's Cradle -- Kurt Vonnegut
The Princess Bride -- William Goldman

For period pieces, try anything by Thomas Hardy, for example:

Tess of the d'Urbervilles
Far from the Madding Crowd
Jude the Obscure
The Mayor of Casterbridge: The Life and Death of a Man of Character
The Return of the Native
A Pair of Blue Eyes

I have collected Louis L'Amour books for 25 years and have almost all of them.

I like to re-read them.

Right now I am reading Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian.

My ex husband had a collection of his (L'Amour) and I've read several. I like that period but am so glad I wasn't living back then, lol.

I've read Tess and enjoyed it. I will look for more by him, thank you. Are there any you recommend? Any that are not too depressing?

I love period pieces, too. Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights are two of my favorites, both by Brontes, but different sisters.

[/B]

For period pieces, try anything by Thomas Hardy, for example:

Tess of the d'Urbervilles
Far from the Madding Crowd
Jude the Obscure
The Mayor of Casterbridge: The Life and Death of a Man of Character
The Return of the Native
A Pair of Blue Eyes

Try Far from the Madding Crowd

I loved the Mayfair Witch series and Taltos. I've been on her tour near here in New Orleans and read all of her work. I agree with you about Steven King, too. I loved much of his early works but think he is hit or miss (mostly miss) these days. I was disappointed with the last of the Gunslinger series and I loved the rest of it. I've jotted down Beatrice Small on my list ... the name rings a bell.

Anne Rice (Mayfair Witch series), Vampire series.
Some Stephen King. Lately a lot of his works suck.
Robert McGammon (I have all his books).
Some historical romance..and I skip over the romance part. Corny. I like Beatrice Small's stories. Anything that is 15th to 18th centuries.

If you like Stranger in a Strange Land (Heinlein), you may like A Brave New World (Aldous Huxley) and 1984 (George Orwell)

Thank you! A Brave New World used to be on my list until I lost my list. I'll get that one. I read 1984 and liked it a lot, Animal Farm, too.

I started out in romances, then my nephew got me into fantasy, and now my favorite genre is urban fantasy, but I'm trying to not JUST read UF.

I'm not big on romance but love fantasy. What about urban fantasy draws you? I might be able to point you to other fantasy genres that would be worth a try.

I make no bones about my genre of preference. I read ancient historical fiction almost exclusively. Especially novels covering antiquity (specifically the Romans) and medieval Europe.

I've read a lot of Roman history, including some historical fiction. My interest has been mostly the culture and mythology and, to a lesser extent politics and military. I've not read much on medieval Europe other than the Crusades (200 years or so). Anything lighter you recommend for summer escapism reading?

My favorite book remains "Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas Hofstadter.

OK. I looked this up but think it may be over my head. There's a decent amount that interests me, like the linguistics, but little of it is in a language I grasp ... computer programs and DNA molecules and musical language. It reminds me of trying to read theoretical physics. It's fascinating right up to the moment I am utterly lost ... like page 3. :(

I don't suppose Hofstadter published an idiots' guide?

Forum List

Back