What do you read? Favorite books?

When it comes to Heinlein, nothing beats The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

I'm reading my way through the Wheel of Time right now, actually. I'm on Crossroads of Twilight at the moment.

How about Alfred Bester, The Stars My Destination?

Not actually a favorite for me but was recommended to me as a must-read. And I was glad I did.

... plus then I knew where the name of Walter Koenig's character in Babylon 5 came from.

I'm reading my way through the Wheel of Time right now, actually. I'm on Crossroads of Twilight at the moment.

Great Book. Also like the Cat Who Walks Through Walls. Glory Road is a great adventure Novel. Friday is excellent. Pretty much all of them are good.

I read one of his juveniles when I was about 12 called Farmer in the Sky. That got me hooked.

That's my favorite as well, with TEFL running a close second.

Great Book. Also like the Cat Who Walks Through Walls. Glory Road is a great adventure Novel. Friday is excellent. Pretty much all of them are good.

I read one of his juveniles when I was about 12 called Farmer in the Sky. That got me hooked.

His later books started to get a little weird - he explores some seriously weird sexual stuff in To Sail Beyond the Sunset, for example. Number of the Beast, too.

But all in all, I can't think of a single Heinlein book that I didn't enjoy reading.

Margaret Atwood's the Blind Assassin is an amazing book. For sci-fi fans The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin is a masterpiece.

I make no bones about my genre of preference. I read ancient historical fiction almost exclusively. Especially novels covering antiquity (specifically the Romans) and medieval Europe.

I've read a lot of Roman history, including some historical fiction. My interest has been mostly the culture and mythology and, to a lesser extent politics and military. I've not read much on medieval Europe other than the Crusades (200 years or so). Anything lighter you recommend for summer escapism reading?

Try Mary Renault; she writes historical novels set in Ancient Greece.

Mary Renault - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Culture, mythology, historical facts, etc. That is what her novels focus on.

Last edited:
Perfect, thank you!

I make no bones about my genre of preference. I read ancient historical fiction almost exclusively. Especially novels covering antiquity (specifically the Romans) and medieval Europe.

I've read a lot of Roman history, including some historical fiction. My interest has been mostly the culture and mythology and, to a lesser extent politics and military. I've not read much on medieval Europe other than the Crusades (200 years or so). Anything lighter you recommend for summer escapism reading?

Try Mary Renault; she writes historical novels set in Ancient Greece.

Mary Renault - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Culture, mythology, historical facts, etc. That is what her novels focus on.

Forum List

Back