Where do you check facts?

Honestly, I haven't seen evidence of bias in those sites. I see stories in which they defend conservatives from spurious stories. If I saw a pattern of only debunking lies in favor of liberals, I would understand the bias charge.

<<Not certain you're capable of recognizing bias. :dunno:

Not certain I care about your certainty.

Do you remember being taught how to recognize bias and slanting in school? If so, at what level and what class?

I've used snopes and politifact, only to be told that they are liberal sites.

I've also used factcheck.org

So, for those who don't believe those sources are credible, what do you use?

Or are they simply deemed "fake" because you don't like what they say? I've never seen any conservatives who attack the credibility of these sites, use any fact checking site.

I look here. Whatever you (and a few others) say, I know the truth is the opposite.

My Google-Fu is better than yours.

iu

Honestly, I haven't seen evidence of bias in those sites. I see stories in which they defend conservatives from spurious stories. If I saw a pattern of only debunking lies in favor of liberals, I would understand the bias charge.

Do you remember being taught how to recognize bias and slanting in school? If so, at what level and what class?

Actually, my parents were great teachers. First lessons involved understanding that commercials on tv use all kinds of devices to trick a kid into thinking that the toy does a lot more than it really does. In high school, I took an AP class that explored journalism, which involved lessons in objective reporting. In college, I took critical thinking class or two.

And yourself?

I've used snopes and politifact, only to be told that they are liberal sites.

I've also used factcheck.org

So, for those who don't believe those sources are credible, what do you use?

Or are they simply deemed "fake" because you don't like what they say? I've never seen any conservatives who attack the credibility of these sites, use any fact checking site.

I look here. Whatever you (and a few others) say, I know the truth is the opposite.

Shoo fly.

Actually, my parents were great teachers. First lessons involved understanding that commercials on tv use all kinds of devices to trick a kid into thinking that the toy does a lot more than it really does. In high school, I took an AP class that explored journalism, which involved lessons in objective reporting. In college, I took critical thinking class or two.

And yourself?

I'm sure you are one of those elitist blue coastal genius. Probably can't unplug a toilet, but you are smart. Thanks for telling us in advance.

And yourself?

I'm sure you are one of those elitist blue coastal genius. Probably can't unplug a toilet, but you are smart. Thanks for telling us in advance.

You would be wrong, but are probably offended by me telling you so, and therefore won't believe me.

I unplugged a sink this afternoon.

Well, I have a special gland hidden away. it's called a BRAIN.

What, is it a state secret? I asked respectfully for conservatives to share their wisdom. I get back snark. You don't like certain sources, give me some to look at. And I can't look at your brain, MaryL; it's too well hidden.

Okay, I've been doing a little research (minimal) and it seems Snopes and Politifact are no good but Factcheck is.

Fact Check: So who's checking the fact-finders? We are

I'm still curious if you've had classes for critical thinking?

I don't think they're essential, but it seemed important to you for me to trot out my credentials.

Yes I did. Furthermore, every single one of my psyllabi had "Socratic method" in it. ( I think) It was a long time ago. :oops:

What, is it a state secret? I asked respectfully for conservatives to share their wisdom. I get back snark. You don't like certain sources, give me some to look at. And I can't look at your brain, MaryL; it's too well hidden.
One gets snarky on this board, sorry. I have been conned by either liberals or conservatives, and I am skeptic, I neither trust or accept the current political paradigm, especially ones forced on me.

Snopes and politifact sites are dem-run propaganda machines, posing as "fact checking sites".

I fact check by RESEARCHING. I follow leads. I do google and other searches using key phrases and words. I read BOOKS and check DATA and methods by which data is compiled.

Then I take all of what I've looked at, and I can usually figure out what the truth is.

I don't just go to a person and say "is this true or not?" and accept their statement. Nobody is smarter than me, and nobody has better comprehension skills than I do. When I let other people tell me what to think, or define reality for me...well, that just never happens. When it happens for other people, they end up clueless minions of whomever has the catchiest slogans.

But when others research, they get told it's fake.

You can't list a trustworthy source? One that you can go to with reasonable certainty that it's accurate?

You want a trustworthy source? Go to Newsbud which is user funded, IOW, they are not funded by corporations or non-profit foundations. If you don't know why being funded by either of these entities is a bad thing, then you don't know anything about political interests.

Another source that is user funded is the Corbett report or subscription based Wayne Madisen. Any source that is user funded, uses crowd source and independent investigative journalists and people, out in the field doing research is a good place to start.

One gets snarky on this board, sorry. I have been conned by either liberals or conservatives, and I am skeptical of anything anymore. I am going back to the roots of the Vietnam war. I have come to realize NOT to trust or accept the current political paradigm, especially ones forced on me.

Go to hell.

(Kidding! I'm kidding, of course.):funnyface:

I've noticed this is a slap-before-you-get-slapped kind of board. Not that I mind a slap fight. Some people need one.

Snopes and politifact sites are dem-run propaganda machines, posing as "fact checking sites".

I fact check by RESEARCHING. I follow leads. I do google and other searches using key phrases and words. I read BOOKS and check DATA and methods by which data is compiled.

Then I take all of what I've looked at, and I can usually figure out what the truth is.

I don't just go to a person and say "is this true or not?" and accept their statement. Nobody is smarter than me, and nobody has better comprehension skills than I do. When I let other people tell me what to think, or define reality for me...well, that just never happens. When it happens for other people, they end up clueless minions of whomever has the catchiest slogans.

But when others research, they get told it's fake.

You can't list a trustworthy source? One that you can go to with reasonable certainty that it's accurate?

You want a trustworthy source? Go to Newsbud which is user funded, IOW, they are not funded by corporations or non-profit foundations. If you don't know why being funded by either of these entities is a bad thing, then you don't know anything about political interests.

Another source that is user funded is the Corbett report or subscription based Wayne Madisen. Any source that is user funded, uses crowd source and independent investigative journalists and people, out in the field doing research is a good place to start.

Thank you. I will check those out.

Forum List

Back