Which party will actually pay for the new Debt, or will Social Security & Medicare go Bankrupt?

Which party will vow to save Social Security and Medicare for future generations?

• Republicans

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Democrats

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Neither, SS & Medicare will be defunded when bankrupt

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
It won't be the party that resisted every fix to the SS/Medicare funding dilemma, prior to the great coronavirus giveaway.

The COVID-19 pandemic borrowing will make SS & Medicare less solvent.
Which party will raise taxes to save SS & Medicare for future generations?

• Medicare’s Annual Cash Shortfall in 2019 was $396 billion;
  • Payroll taxes would have to increase more than 15 percent to pay for Medicare Part A in 2019; and
  • Over the next 75 years, Social Security will owe $16.8 trillion more than it is projected to take in.
Neither one, dumass. Political parties don't pay taxes.
WTF are you hallucinating about? Who writes the tax laws?
Who wrote the last tax cuts that aren't working no matter what Manuchin says?
So what you really meant to say is that Dims will raise all our taxes.

We already knew that, dumbass.

What they will do is raise taxes on the wealthy, and perhaps tobacco users; two groups that cannot protect themselves via vote.
The wealthy have gotten themselves many tax cuts. They can buy politicians.

Given the fact they pay most of the federal income tax for the rest of us, who would you suggest get a tax break?
Someone needs to pay the bills, might should be the folks with all the money.

View attachment 329424

I'm sure you have more than other people too. Does that mean government should have the right take it from you to give to somebody else? If you have eight beautiful hedges in front of your home, would it not be proper for government to take four of your hedges, and give them to the person down the street that has none? Or perhaps you have four video game systems in your household. Would it not be only fair for government to take two of those systems, and give them to somebody that has none?

The wealthy pay most of the bills already. How about we all pay, like with a federal consumption tax until this debt we incurred is paid off completely? Then everybody has a dog in the race.
Poor examples of class envy. We need to pay the bills or disaster will happen, look at Greece and Venezuela.
Then look at China.
A VAT (value added tax) aka a Fed sales tax hits everyone at the same rate.
The top rate needs to go up.
Add a tax on financial transactions
Raise the gas tax (it hasn't been raised in ages)
We also need to implement "fixes" for SS & Medicare.

We are in deep shit with all of the new COVID borrowing. We need to start paying down the Debt, not just the interest.

• Payroll taxes would have to increase more than 15 percent to pay for Medicare Part A in 2019; and
  • Over the next 75 years, Social Security will owe $16.8 trillion more than it is projected to take in.

What they will do is raise taxes on the wealthy, and perhaps tobacco users; two groups that cannot protect themselves via vote.

Given the fact they pay most of the federal income tax for the rest of us, who would you suggest get a tax break?

View attachment 329424

I'm sure you have more than other people too. Does that mean government should have the right take it from you to give to somebody else? If you have eight beautiful hedges in front of your home, would it not be proper for government to take four of your hedges, and give them to the person down the street that has none? Or perhaps you have four video game systems in your household. Would it not be only fair for government to take two of those systems, and give them to somebody that has none?

The wealthy pay most of the bills already. How about we all pay, like with a federal consumption tax until this debt we incurred is paid off completely? Then everybody has a dog in the race.
Poor examples of class envy. We need to pay the bills or disaster will happen, look at Greece and Venezuela.
Then look at China.

We are in deep shit with all of the new COVID borrowing. We need to start paying down the Debt, not just the interest.

I agree with most of what you are saying. However I disagree with a VAT tax. A vat tax is a hidden tax that most won't realize is there. What we really need to do is wake people up to this deficit and debt of ours. A consumption tax on the other hand is that wakeup call. We have one where I live. It's listed on every receipt with your purchases. It's like Rush Limbaugh said so many times about payroll taxes. He said payroll taxes are deducted because you only look at your take home pay. If they didn't take any taxes out, and you had to write the IRS a check every quarter, you would see how upset people would get paying those very same taxes they pay now. A wakeup call.

My other problem is that nearly half of the people in our country pay no income tax period. So nearly one half is paying the bill for the other half. Then when the Democrats start yelping about free college, paid time off, reparations, Medicare for all, the people that don't have to pay for it are supportive of their ideas.

They go out in the street and ask people if they'd like cleaner air and cleaner water? Well duh! How do you think they're going to reply? Now if we had a consumption tax, and every time we did any major spending, that tax went up, you'd get quite a different result from that question.

View attachment 329424

Then look at China.

I agree with most of what you are saying. However I disagree with a VAT tax. A vat tax is a hidden tax that most won't realize is there. What we really need to do is wake people up to this deficit and debt of ours. A consumption tax on the other hand is that wakeup call. We have one where I live. It's listed on every receipt with your purchases. It's like Rush Limbaugh said so many times about payroll taxes. He said payroll taxes are deducted because you only look at your take home pay. If they didn't take any taxes out, and you had to write the IRS a check every quarter, you would see how upset people would get paying those very same taxes they pay now. A wakeup call.

My other problem is that nearly half of the people in our country pay no income tax period. So nearly one half is paying the bill for the other half. Then when the Democrats start yelping about free college, paid time off, reparations, Medicare for all, the people that don't have to pay for it are supportive of their ideas.

They go out in the street and ask people if they'd like cleaner air and cleaner water? Well duh! How do you think they're going to reply? Now if we had a consumption tax, and every time we did any major spending, that tax went up, you'd get quite a different result from that question.

Agree the VAT/Sales tax needs to show up on receipts. I'm not going to start the "income inequality" debate. I'm okay with a progressive tax rate, but I do agree that the "free" stuff is not going to happen.

View attachment 329424

Then look at China.

Agree the VAT/Sales tax needs to show up on receipts. I'm not going to start the "income inequality" debate. I'm okay with a progressive tax rate, but I do agree that the "free" stuff is not going to happen.

But the free stuff is supported by those that don't have to pay for it. When you're talking about nearly half the country paying no income tax at all, then of course they support free stuff for them.

When you rob Peter to pay Paul, the Paul's of your society generally have no objection. So we institute a progressive consumption tax. By progressive, I mean if we want more things, then our consumption tax increases each time.

If we did that, then people would not be looking for ways to be taxed more, they would be looking at ways to decrease the deficit/ debt so they can start paying less. It would totally weaken the Democrat strategy, because every single presidential election, the Democrats run on more free stuff they can give the public.

View attachment 329424

Then look at China.

You would have people not right out those checks every quarter.

View attachment 329424
That is literally the moral code of a thug:

Your proposed cuts added together are about $400b. So you're about $600b short of a Balanced Budget.
Someone needs to pay the fucking bills. Who should that be?
A VAT is paid by everyone, as an example.
A VAT is a hidden tax, which is precisely thugs such as you like it.

View attachment 329424

Then look at China.

But the free stuff is supported by those that don't have to pay for it. When you're talking about nearly half the country paying no income tax at all, then of course they support free stuff for them.

When you rob Peter to pay Paul, the Paul's of your society generally have no objection. So we institute a progressive consumption tax. By progressive, I mean if we want more things, then our consumption tax increases each time.

If we did that, then people would not be looking for ways to be taxed more, they would be looking at ways to decrease the deficit/ debt so they can start paying less. It would totally weaken the Democrat strategy, because every single presidential election, the Democrats run on more free stuff they can give the public.
All we need to do is restrain the growth of government, but every year washington gives out more benefits and increases spending faster than the rate of economic growth.

View attachment 329424

Your proposed cuts added together are about $400b. So you're about $600b short of a Balanced Budget.

I'm fine having the tax shown on the receipt. Call it a VAT, a sales tax, or a consumption tax. We need to raise revenue.

View attachment 329424

Then look at China.

All we need to do is restrain the growth of government, but every year washington gives out more benefits and increases spending faster than the rate of economic growth.

That's true. Here is something economist Walter E Williams once said:

"I am running for Congress. My platform will be I will not bring back anything to my state. I will not sign on to any spending bill. Would you vote for me???"

We can never restrain spending until everybody starts paying for it. That's why I feel a consumption tax will do two things: bring down our spending by the demand of the people, and start reducing our deficit and debt at the same time.

View attachment 329424

Then look at China.

Then we do with them as we do other people who don't write out checks at the end of the year when they owe money.

View attachment 329424

I'm fine having the tax shown on the receipt. Call it a VAT, a sales tax, or a consumption tax. We need to raise revenue.
VAT can never be shown on a receipt. Under a VAT, a product is taxed at every stage of it's production and sale to the customer. How would you show this on a receipt? The final seller wouldn't even know the actual amount.

View attachment 329424

VAT can never be shown on a receipt. Under a VAT, a product is taxed at every stage of it's production and sale to the customer. How would you show this on a receipt? The final seller wouldn't even know the actual amount.

OK, then not a VAT but a sales tax that is shown on the receipt.
Something that is easy to adjust the percentage to get the revenue needed.
I agree that a hidden tax is a bad idea.

You are implying that it is even possible to "pay for it".

With or without Covid-19, with or without the economic down turn, whether Democrats or Republicans are in office....

You can't pay for socialism. It never works. Never. Not one time in all human history, has taking from group A, to pay for group B, worked.

If Social Security and Medicare were possible to have working, then we would never have the concept of a Ponzi scheme, because both of those are ponzi schemes.

In the end, my guess is that health care in the US will end up run by the government, and thus will end up declining in quality to meet the ability of the government to pay.

Social Security will equally need to be cut to the ability of the government to pay. The way they will do this, is by cutting the retirement age, meaning raise the retirement age to 75 or something.

Now there are a few alternatives that the nation could go down, that will be absolutely devastating.

One is a drastic increase in taxes, which will cause capital flight and economic decline. That would be much like what we saw in Greece.

The other option is that government just keeps spending, until they destroy themselves. Again, much like Greece.

Given the recent rise of incompetence, like AOC who is exceedingly popular, even after saying things as utterly mindless as she's going to "spend" the money from a tax cut on schools and health care.....

I see the Greece result as more and more a real possibility.

There is no way to "pay" for Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid. These programs, were never, and are not, sustainable. We have only been able to out-grow our spending thus far, but that can't continue forever.

View attachment 329424

Then look at China.

Why would you right out checks?

View attachment 329424

That's about as regressive a tax as you can get.

Forum List

Back