Who owns Big Oil? The answer might surprise you.

daveman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2010
In a 2011 update on a study of oil and natural gas company ownership, the Sonecon consulting firm found that nearly 50 percent of all corporate shares are held by public and private pension and retirement funds, including 401(k)s, and IRAs. Individual investors own 20 percent, while financial institutions and asset management companies own 27 percent. That's 97 percent. Less than 3 percent is owned by corporate executives and board members.

A closer look at the data reveals even more surprises about oil company ownership:

Nearly 21 percent of oil and natural gas shares are in mutual funds, held by 52.3 million American households with a median annual income of $80,000 in 2011.
Nearly 18 percent of industry shares are held through IRAs, with 48.6 million households owning one or more IRAs. Of those IRA holders, 80 percent had annual incomes of $70,000 or less in 2010.

More than 31 percent of industry shares are owned by public or private pension plans, including 401(k)s (not including IRAs). The funds manage assets for more than 60 million households, with an average account value of less than $55,000. You can learn more about oil and natural gas earnings and pensions here.
Hmmmmm...

In a 2011 update on a study of oil and natural gas company ownership, the Sonecon consulting firm found that nearly 50 percent of all corporate shares are held by public and private pension and retirement funds, including 401(k)s, and IRAs. Individual investors own 20 percent, while financial institutions and asset management companies own 27 percent. That's 97 percent. Less than 3 percent is owned by corporate executives and board members.

A closer look at the data reveals even more surprises about oil company ownership:

Nearly 21 percent of oil and natural gas shares are in mutual funds, held by 52.3 million American households with a median annual income of $80,000 in 2011.
Nearly 18 percent of industry shares are held through IRAs, with 48.6 million households owning one or more IRAs. Of those IRA holders, 80 percent had annual incomes of $70,000 or less in 2010.

More than 31 percent of industry shares are owned by public or private pension plans, including 401(k)s (not including IRAs). The funds manage assets for more than 60 million households, with an average account value of less than $55,000. You can learn more about oil and natural gas earnings and pensions here.
Hmmmmm...

Just saying, or are you proving a point?

Hmmmmm...

I thought the article was interesting, so I posted it.

I knew that there were more than just Eeeevil Rich People who owned oil stock. I just didn't know how much more.

Hmmmmm...

I knew that there were more than just Eeeevil Rich People who owned oil stock. I just didn't know how much more.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that. Someone with shares isn't the problem. I guess it takes someone with more than half a brain to realize that.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that. Someone with shares isn't the problem. I guess it takes someone with more than half a brain to realize that.
I bet you've got money in oil stock.

You're killing the planet, y'know. You should be ashamed.

I bet you've got money in oil stock.

You're killing the planet, y'know. You should be ashamed.

I bet I don't.

Does there seem to be a problem here, ma'am?

I've got money in oil stock, it surely can't be an insignificant portion of an S&P 500 index fund.

Hmmmmm...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMhvYeQPOcE]Wealth Distribution in the USA - SHOCKING! - YouTube[/ame]

Hmmmmm...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMhvYeQPOcE]Wealth Distribution in the USA - SHOCKING! - YouTube[/ame]

Relax We now have the ACA. It's a huge wealth re-distributor.

Hmmmmm...
This is a perfect example of how the Right constructs a lie that seems like a truth backed by "statistics." They simply use the most misleading stats they can find.

The first deception is who "OWNS" the oil monopoly's stock is meaningless. What matters is who VOTES the proxies!!!!! Who VOTES the stock CONTROLS the oil monopoly. The people who "OWN" the pensions and retirement funds do NOT vote the stock!!!!!!!

For example, after the Standard Oil monopoly was "broken up" Rockefeller only "OWNED" 25% of the stock. Some stockholders tried to oust Rockefeller form the Board. But Rockefeller VOTED 60% of the proxies!!!

"Competition is a sin" "Own nothing. Control everything"
John D Rockefeller

Hmmmmm...

It's shocking to those who think they're entitled to what they haven't earned.

Hmmmmm...

A bunch of little guys are invested in oil stocks, even through mutual funds and pension funds. But a couple million of us owning shares is not concentrated wealth and that's where the power comes from. The power to buy t.v. ads and put politicians they like in office or get rid of politicians. The Kochs are good at this and have been influencing politics for decades. They created the tea party. This is what concentrated wealth will do.

Hmmmmm...

Love that video!
All that liberal whining in such a small place.

Hmmmmm...
This is a perfect example of how the Right constructs a lie that seems like a truth backed by "statistics." They simply use the most misleading stats they can find.

The first deception is who "OWNS" the oil monopoly's stock is meaningless. What matters is who VOTES the proxies!!!!! Who VOTES the stock CONTROLS the oil monopoly. The people who "OWN" the pensions and retirement funds do NOT vote the stock!!!!!!!

For example, after the Standard Oil monopoly was "broken up" Rockefeller only "OWNED" 25% of the stock. Some stockholders tried to oust Rockefeller form the Board. But Rockefeller VOTED 60% of the proxies!!!

"Competition is a sin" "Own nothing. Control everything"
John D Rockefeller
And nobody owes you shit.

A bunch of little guys are invested in oil stocks, even through mutual funds and pension funds. But a couple million of us owning shares is not concentrated wealth and that's where the power comes from. The power to buy t.v. ads and put politicians they like in office or get rid of politicians. The Kochs are good at this and have been influencing politics for decades. They created the tea party. This is what concentrated wealth will do.
They didn't create the TEA Party. Fed-up individuals created the TEA Party.

The left is lying to you.

Forum List

Back