Whose and which ten commandments?

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
You hear a lot about: if we only follow the ten commandments, or , things went down hill when we took the 10 commandments out of school (this always coming from fundamentalist christian and right wing politicians).

The question is which ten commandments?

Wouldn't your think an as important directive from the all powerful "god" would not need interpretation and all would have been very clear an say same thing

10cmd-diffs.gif

http://www.positiveatheism.org/crt/whichcom.pdf

Last edited:
I prefer the second decade which fell into obscurity when Moses fumbled two of the tablets.

As the tale goes, Moses tripped on a burning bush while carrying the tablets. He ran into the Red Sea to cool the burns and Noah put the tablets on the Ark. Noah lost the tablets when they fell overboard.... or something like that.

The way I heard it when Moe's feet got singed by the bush he walked into, his vision having been blocked by the stack of tablets, several fell into a deep, dark canyon shown on the maps of the day as "Obscurity Canyon". Sadly, Moe had a liberal education and couldn't read maps.

To this day we don't know how many tens or even hundreds of commandments we're supposed to be following but we blunder along somehow.

It really makes no difference given the fact there is no ‘god’ as perceived by theists, as all the ‘commandments’ were written by men.

That's lame.

I would disagree. I have no good reason to believe that any god personally communicated any commandments to Moses.

As mankind's morality has grown (with definite and horrific backslides), we learn that whatever the gods deemed worthy of recording in the various "sacred writings", was fairly short of what man was able to evolve on his own. In the realm of ethics and morality, “man”, (not to include all of “man”), kicks god's behind by a fair margin. The god of the OT was a psychopath who murdered relentlessly and is deserving of worship. Not so with Stalin, Mao, Hitler...

In the last 100 years especially, child labor, abuse, involuntary servitude, religious and communistic despots, the treatment of minorities, etc., etc -- all things confronted and recognized as immoral, with no compass from the god of the bibles.

All or none. If we choose to put ourselves under the Law we don't get to pick the ones we like and dismiss the rest. There are over 600.
Those laws were given to a specific group of people, for a specific time. They demand judgement and sentence.
Romans 9:31 but the people of Israel, who pursued the law as the way of righteousness, have not attained their goal.

The same happens in our society if we break the law. Court, judgment, sentence, prison. Even God was more in favor of mercy than the Law.

You cannot work your way to heaven. Good works do not cancel out bad ones. Here is why:

Galatians 5:4 You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

Don't obey the 10 commandments to be a good person. Do good for Christ's sake. He already fulfilled the Law for us, so, concentrate on thanking Jesus for taking your place in court, and put your faith in the one who gave God the ability to dismiss your case. Do this:

Galatians 5:14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Last edited:
  • Banned
All or none. If we choose to put ourselves under the Law we don't get to pick the ones we like and dismiss the rest. There are over 600.
Those laws were given to a specific group of people, for a specific time. They demand judgement and sentence.
Romans 9:31 but the people of Israel, who pursued the law as the way of righteousness, have not attained their goal.

The same happens in our society if we break the law. Court, judgment, sentence, prison. Even God was more in favor of mercy than the Law.

You cannot work your way to heaven. Good works do not cancel out bad ones. Here is why:

Galatians 5:4 You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

Don't obey the 10 commandments to be a good person. Do good for Christ's sake. He already fulfilled the Law for us, so, concentrate on doing this instead, and put your faith in the one who gave God the ability to dismiss your case. Do this instead:

Galatians 5:14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

So where did the christers get their ten commandments which differ from the Jewish ones?

Don't obey the 10 commandments to be a good person. Do good for Christ's sake. He already fulfilled the Law for us, so, concentrate on doing this instead, and put your faith in the one who gave God the ability to dismiss your case. Do this instead:

So where did the christers get their ten commandments which differ from the Jewish ones?

An organization should not mistranslate a language that can be learned in under three months.

They got them from adding to and taking away from God's word. A practice we are told to avoid. If you don't think it is to important, the destiny of mankind was altered by adding to.

God told Adam and Eve not to eat from the tree. They could have built a tree house in it if they wanted. But when Satan questioned Eve about what God told her she said, "He told us not to eat from it. Don't even touch it or we will die". Satan said, "Go ahead. Touch it, you won't die. See! I told you. You can eat the fruit too....."

God was not at his best when he wrote the ten commandments.....I could have done a better job

Shoot RW, I bet He sure could have used your help in creating the universe too! ;)

No, God brought his A game when he created the universe

He was having a bad day when he gave Moses the Commandments

Since they don't like by them, or any other of "god's words", it doesn't really matter.

Since they don't like by them, or any other of "god's words", it doesn't really matter.

For those who fall short, that would be all, Christ covered.

Shoot RW, I bet He sure could have used your help in creating the universe too! ;)

No, God brought his A game when he created the universe

He was having a bad day when he gave Moses the Commandments

He was not a happy camper up on that mountain. Sometimes we must drive Him nuts. And yet He dances over us. We still make Him happy. We must be kids only a Father could love.... :eusa_angel:

You hear a lot about: if we only follow the ten commandments, or , things went down hill when we took the 10 commandments out of school (this always coming from fundamentalist christian and right wing politicians).

Wouldn't your think an as important directive from the all powerful "god" would not need interpretation and all would have been very clear an say same thing

10cmd-diffs.gif

http://www.positiveatheism.org/crt/whichcom.pdf

I always loved how Catholics screwed the pooch with their worshiping of idols ...so they dropped it off the list and substituted two "covet" commandments

Don't obey the 10 commandments to be a good person. Do good for Christ's sake. He already fulfilled the Law for us, so, concentrate on thanking Jesus for taking your place in court, and put your faith in the one who gave God the ability to dismiss your case. Do this:

"Love your neighbor as yourself." That's a good one. That should have gotten more face time with the gods.

Help me out here, TiR. So I'm conflicted on how to handle a domestic issue, and the absolutely universal law of God is not making it clear how I should proceed.

Here's my conflict, from Leviticus 25:45-46
"Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids. Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession."

Here's my problem. One of the 4 year neighborhood children of the heathens around me actually has converted to Judaism. Now, technically the child is still heathen, at least by blood. Can I buy this child anyway, or does the conversion override the bloodline issue? I suspect that a 4 year old isn't old enough to make such a decision regarding their status, so I can buy and enslave him anyway.

Can you enlighten me on how the bible resolves such a conflict?

Thanks

The bible was written by men, it reflects man’s ignorance, fear, and hate – it is completely devoid of authority save that of in the context of religious dogma, consequently citing the bible is meaningless.

Forum List

Back