Zone1 Why Are Blacks Told to be Self Sufficient when Others have not been?

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
Over the years here at USMB and in general, it appears that many have caught a severe case of amnesia as to how things have occurred. It's either that or a double standard has been applied whereas one group can get help from the government and claim it is deserved because they pay taxes, while others who have paid taxes, or been denied from becoming taxpayiing citizens by exclusion from jobs, are slammed for being dependent on government handouts.

“According to economic research, race has been the single most important predictor of support for American welfare programs. In other words, black poverty has been viewed as a moral failing, whereas white poverty had been viewed as a systemic problem.” -Mehrsa Baradaran- The Color of Money, Black Banks and the Racial Wealth Gap
1719013566491.png
This paper examines the U.S. government’s instigation, participation, authorization, and perpetuation of federal housing discrimination against black Americans from the 1930s to the 1980s and the damage that such discrimination caused and continues to cause today. Delving into the U.S. government’s twentieth century federal housing practices, this paper discusses how the government effectively barred black-Americans from obtaining quality housing and from investing in housing as wealth, while simultaneously subsidizing and endorsing white homeownership, white suburbs, and white wealth. Quantifying the U.S. government’s discriminatory practices with current wealth gaps between white- and black-American communities, this paper discusses the effects of twentieth century federal housing discrimination and argues that such government-initiated wrongs justify black reparations.

Part I examines the U.S. government’s housing practices—from the New Deal until the 1968 Fair Housing Act and its 1988 Amendments—to reveal that although the New Deal’s national housing programs revolutionized homeownership and home equity in the United States, the U.S. government’s federal housing programs were racially discriminatory. Specifically, and quite shockingly, the U.S. government actively created and promulgated racist neighborhood rating systems that constructed black neighborhoods and black property as unstable, volatile, hazardous, and not worthy of investment. Using these racist rating systems, the federal government endorsed racial covenants and invested federal money into the creation and accumulation of white wealth, the value of whiteness, white suburbia, and white homeownership. Meanwhile, the government denied blacks federal housing funding, fueling black stigma and barring black-Americans from the invaluable twentieth century opportunities of homeownership and home equity.

Understanding the U.S. government’s discriminatory housing practices, Part II discusses and quantifies the effects of the government’s housing discrimination on black-American households and communities. Finding that approximately 120 billion 1950s dollars—or more than 1.239 quintillion 2019 dollars—were invested to subsidize and create white-American wealth through homeownership, Part II discusses both the quantifiable and the less quantifiable effects of twentieth century federal housing discrimination. Mapping the impact of the U.S. government’s discriminatory housing practices to the black-white wealth gap, Part II argues that the black-white wealth gap may be attributable, at least in part, to twentieth century federal housing discrimination.

In conclusion, this paper argues in favor of black reparations for the discriminatory U.S. housing practices that persisted from the 1930s to the 1980s—and whose remnants pervasively continue to damage black-American communities today. At a minimum, this paper argues that the U.S. government should compensate black Americans for the 1.239 quintillion dollars of discriminatory federal housing spending. In addition, recognizing the power of wealth accumulation, the U.S. government should consider the grave and lasting impact of its discriminatory housing practices in order to repair the government-initiated wrongs perpetrated merely one generation ago. While black reparations for federal housing discrimination do not speak to or cure the issues of reparations for slavery in the United States, such reparations are one step forward in correcting past wrongs that continue to devastate black-American communities and will continue to haunt our country, if left unrepaired.

https://elsevier-ssrn-document-store-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/20/06/25/ssrn_id3635041_code1586254.pdf?response-content-disposition=inline&X-Amz-Security-Token=IQoJb3JpZ2luX2VjEMP%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2FwEaCXVzLWVhc3QtMSJIMEYCIQDw34JIfHHM4mWqoRSGVlCRUXdLBi9Iuaam7Pj8b0UjxQIhAKhw5PWz0V1gg%2BhMTVCG6NMaTmUuwetDm3j6Y9z6mkvLKr4FCGwQBBoMMzA4NDc1MzAxMjU3IgzOds4zuKfOaCM1i3kqmwXLmOeXUiBT%2BXyI0hy99Y9HinC6W6l7Cpp%2B4aU%2FWE6bXeDXQcsmhbCQ36IE%2FQAJRGgub%2BFiLIyC14KTUpBJksG0TdpGjfg408PF0fMCJA71llFVnEVgTfQjm7dy9mY8xuEvVFU37%2Bl7J3e9ETV0aV7zOBhH1N76T5JPlZP4liFWkeYEJiR3sL3P5%2FvNND8riqZI37ASLgYVBK28MA2C6aZATQ5f%2FPR8TlhpO07ILqSVQziVC2inzLbsN7haV%2BgCBkfuQ%2B7E9%2FAzfa%2Bxbt2Ei9NJGelEM%2BkM%2B0ux4ETYQ1rLlUPg3VCQx3CiLTKhs2dmoKBCqK5RrKjposxGd6i920UiuxwDMr0JiEPChMEgzzdugXRfrbbydHzySZ%2FE5r8DOxFs9lOQVmjA%2BREwZRVqCbXjsycj4R5uvI8vBBA7oBXtTmp71%2BTXd3gBqSvQgVhWtI%2BfBXnAPuUbQzfd2SDZMR45uMK%2BnIZsBRHsLJZcKtTPU%2Ff8IZ%2FlXJuhgyPoggFMkFIxoA5oh4mQpBm0SCbTTIK2ndOYp3NaIcZW01NWSW0WFaNUFgColDg6oxD9bGJg1Ym11ix%2BkskB5k3uTG5L%2BigR%2B0uUZVwvhyuUDzjbng0IUT0gh4a1jD6l6qccEG75q2EZazalZv%2FMGTWEh03NGABX4EXmpDLST7OPU5fLN21EAAkX3q21lwm6vFpwznFUj4%2FDzZaLyCiFLRdtOkt8C%2B%2BUsnZOgew6z%2B5VQI%2FK8rX4tc1ogJyVCrmwsjTnZnM3TJtYQqfdHQASLi5r%2FarpIDGIKSSfrAwAwkwJ9P8XJBRe28LS1zSPgQg%2FSe8S60KCKzq%2F5U%2BTwL0dko6uj47a9oxR5ATwj9VpcJguTuP1gmVZJ97dJUtWSii%2FAQaFMOXw2LMGOrAB84FI%2Ft0xtBDpBrpEMYFbbrSmP7hFAEtPdA3SyMzYlfdUsGqRbbYOfnoh6oBsF5%2FiRr4hRaYdsDAYNaarqZ5MK7oLen9rlJJabTiPaIFrOwkiYeGfHbafxuEAw1Mbz5G5xb2YkrYYEloyXHYEQCJmr0h%2BIQlWuZK5E211uAyaMvGqwD0a7CKRFZy%2FOEAvrUBOBGyKUmvAKltJPg0rbXwwJOCMeyVq2WDWkPvaPshqxJ4%3D&X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Date=20240622T031609Z&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-Credential=ASIAUPUUPRWEWH4CMQA5%2F20240622%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Signature=8be05bcad78cd2086bf0159e1fa9097b51bee1423e0f7a172da8254a0cc03f0d

The information I will present in this thread disputes the claims of white self sufficiency. Therefore why are whites telling us to do things they never did in order to succeed? This tread is about the study:

BLACK REPARATIONS FOR TWENTIETH CENTURY FEDERAL HOUSING DISCRIMINATION: THE CONSTRUCTION OF WHITE WEALTH AND THE EFFECTS OFDENIED BLACK HOMEOWNERSHIP
by JANE KIM

And not the usual ignorance that comes with any attempt to discuss this topic based on facts. So please begin reading the study. All personal attacks or off topic posts will be immediately reported.

Last edited:
There used to be a common expression in English, "the deserving poor." It has become unfashionable, presumably it is a way of simply "blaming the victim."

But the concept is still valid. There are poor people who "deserve" compassion, charity, and whatever benefits the Sovereign makes available to help those in need. Typically, one thinks of widows, orphans, people with disabilities, diseases and other incapacitates that had nothing to do with their own actions or failures.

This has nothing to do with race, however, the notorious 70% figure of births out of wedlock for American Blacks, coupled with data that confirm definitively that the lack of a father in the household is associated with not only endemic poverty, but also petty criminality, school dropout rates, substance abuse, involvement with the criminal justice system and additional generations of bastardy.

So there is an understandable shortage of compassion for people whose misery can be tied directly to culture, rather than outside antagonists (racists) inflicting harm.

There used to be a common expression in English, "the deserving poor." It has become unfashionable, presumably it is a way of simply "blaming the victim."

But the concept is still valid. There are poor people who "deserve" compassion, charity, and whatever benefits the Sovereign makes available to help those in need. Typically, one thinks of widows, orphans, people with disabilities, diseases and other incapacitates that had nothing to do with their own actions or failures.

This has nothing to do with race, however, the notorious 70% figure of births out of wedlock for American Blacks, coupled with data that confirm definitively that the lack of a father in the household is associated with not only endemic poverty, but also petty criminality, school dropout rates, substance abuse, involvement with the criminal justice system and additional generations of bastardy.

So there is an understandable shortage of compassion for people whose misery can be tied directly to culture, rather than outside antagonists (racists) inflicting harm.

Your racist rant has nothing to do with the topic. The study shows that your assessment is incorrect. Read the study and then talk. If you can't do not post in this tread.

This thread is not about the tired ass menme white racists post about out of wedlock births. This thread is about the government investment in white homeownership at the exclusion of backs.

And I will no longer be discussing ANY topic with people who utilize the Nazi symbol in any manner.

Why Are Blacks Told to be Self Sufficient when Others have not been?​

Don't you know the others all pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps hand digging post holes on the family farm?

edit...And of course the family farm is not considered generational wealth.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
I. TWENTIETH CENTURY FEDERAL HOUSING DISCRIMINATION IN AMERICA:THE GOVERNMENT’S CONSTRUCTION OF WHITE PROPERTY AND WHITE WEALTH
The U.S. housing market has dramatically changed in the past hundred years. Prior to the 1930s, the U.S. government had traditionally remained un-involved in the selection, construction, and purchase of residences, viewing such activities as inherently private and beyond the realm of federal regulation. In stark contrast to the twenty-first century housing market, homeownership in the early twentieth century United States was rare. This was in part because long-term and low-interest mortgages were not available before the New Deal and buyers consequently had to save substantial sums of money before buying a home. Thus, homeownership for most people in the United States in the 1920s was only accessible in old age. Homeownership, therefore, did not produce the stability, equity, wealth, or opportunities that it currently provides.

The stock market crash in 1929, followed by the Great Depression, dramatically changed the U.S. housing landscape. In 1929, a 95 percent decline in home construction and a 90 percent decline in home improvements devastated the U.S. housing industry and compelled President Franklin Delano Roosevelt (“FDR”) to redefine the federal government’s involvement with the homeowner and housing industry. In 1933, FDR devised a new national housing policy, explaining:

This policy is that the broad interests of the Nation require that special safeguards should be thrown around home ownership as a guaranty of social and economic stability, and that to protect home owners from inequitable enforced liquidation, in a time of general distress, is a proper concern of the Government.

Pursuant to FDR’s new national housing policy, the federal government established a series of programs and agencies, including: the Home Owners Loan Corporation (“HOLC,” established in 1933) under the governance of the Federal home Loan Bank Board (“FHLBB”), the Fair Housing Administration (“FHA,” established in 1934), and the Veterans Administration (“VA,” established in 1944).24 These programs forever changed the housing market and intergenerational wealth in the United States.

https://elsevier-ssrn-document-store-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/20/06/25/ssrn_id3635041_code1586254.pdf?response-content-disposition=inline&X-Amz-Security-Token=IQoJb3JpZ2luX2VjEMP%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2FwEaCXVzLWVhc3QtMSJIMEYCIQDw34JIfHHM4mWqoRSGVlCRUXdLBi9Iuaam7Pj8b0UjxQIhAKhw5PWz0V1gg%2BhMTVCG6NMaTmUuwetDm3j6Y9z6mkvLKr4FCGwQBBoMMzA4NDc1MzAxMjU3IgzOds4zuKfOaCM1i3kqmwXLmOeXUiBT%2BXyI0hy99Y9HinC6W6l7Cpp%2B4aU%2FWE6bXeDXQcsmhbCQ36IE%2FQAJRGgub%2BFiLIyC14KTUpBJksG0TdpGjfg408PF0fMCJA71llFVnEVgTfQjm7dy9mY8xuEvVFU37%2Bl7J3e9ETV0aV7zOBhH1N76T5JPlZP4liFWkeYEJiR3sL3P5%2FvNND8riqZI37ASLgYVBK28MA2C6aZATQ5f%2FPR8TlhpO07ILqSVQziVC2inzLbsN7haV%2BgCBkfuQ%2B7E9%2FAzfa%2Bxbt2Ei9NJGelEM%2BkM%2B0ux4ETYQ1rLlUPg3VCQx3CiLTKhs2dmoKBCqK5RrKjposxGd6i920UiuxwDMr0JiEPChMEgzzdugXRfrbbydHzySZ%2FE5r8DOxFs9lOQVmjA%2BREwZRVqCbXjsycj4R5uvI8vBBA7oBXtTmp71%2BTXd3gBqSvQgVhWtI%2BfBXnAPuUbQzfd2SDZMR45uMK%2BnIZsBRHsLJZcKtTPU%2Ff8IZ%2FlXJuhgyPoggFMkFIxoA5oh4mQpBm0SCbTTIK2ndOYp3NaIcZW01NWSW0WFaNUFgColDg6oxD9bGJg1Ym11ix%2BkskB5k3uTG5L%2BigR%2B0uUZVwvhyuUDzjbng0IUT0gh4a1jD6l6qccEG75q2EZazalZv%2FMGTWEh03NGABX4EXmpDLST7OPU5fLN21EAAkX3q21lwm6vFpwznFUj4%2FDzZaLyCiFLRdtOkt8C%2B%2BUsnZOgew6z%2B5VQI%2FK8rX4tc1ogJyVCrmwsjTnZnM3TJtYQqfdHQASLi5r%2FarpIDGIKSSfrAwAwkwJ9P8XJBRe28LS1zSPgQg%2FSe8S60KCKzq%2F5U%2BTwL0dko6uj47a9oxR5ATwj9VpcJguTuP1gmVZJ97dJUtWSii%2FAQaFMOXw2LMGOrAB84FI%2Ft0xtBDpBrpEMYFbbrSmP7hFAEtPdA3SyMzYlfdUsGqRbbYOfnoh6oBsF5%2FiRr4hRaYdsDAYNaarqZ5MK7oLen9rlJJabTiPaIFrOwkiYeGfHbafxuEAw1Mbz5G5xb2YkrYYEloyXHYEQCJmr0h%2BIQlWuZK5E211uAyaMvGqwD0a7CKRFZy%2FOEAvrUBOBGyKUmvAKltJPg0rbXwwJOCMeyVq2WDWkPvaPshqxJ4%3D&X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Date=20240622T031609Z&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-Credential=ASIAUPUUPRWEWH4CMQA5%2F20240622%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Signature=8be05bcad78cd2086bf0159e1fa9097b51bee1423e0f7a172da8254a0cc03f0d

Don't you know the others all pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps hand digging post holes on the family farm?

edit...And of course the family farm is not considered generational wealth.
Of course not. Neither was the fact that the land the family farm is on was a giveaway via the Homestead Act.

• Informative
Reactions: cnm
I live in Kansas surrounded by take personal responsibility, raise yourself by your bootstraps,, earn your way like we did, farm subsidy receiving, 4th and 5th generation homestead land "owning," white right wing nutjobs. But not one of them benefitted from racism, nor has the government ever given them anything.

Your racist rant has nothing to do with the topic. The study shows that your assessment is incorrect. Read the study and then talk. If you can't do not post in this tread.
The “study” is stupid. You understand peer-review paper on social issue are just liberal backwash?

“On May 19, 2017, peer-reviewed journal Cogent Social Sciences published "The conceptual penis as a social construct",[7] which argued that penises are not "male"; rather, they should be analyzed as social constructs instead.[8] The same day, Lindsay and Boghossian revealed it to be a hoax aimed at discrediting gender studies, although Cogent Social Sciences is not exclusively a gender-studies journal.[9]…….

…..Over the course of the project, twenty papers were submitted and forty-eight "new submissions" of those papers were made.[11] The first acceptance, "Human Reactions to Rape Culture and Queer Performativity at the Dog Park", was achieved five months after the project began. During the initial peer review for its second, and ultimately successful, attempt at publication in Gender, Place & Culture, what the hoaxers called the "Dog Park" paper was praised by the first reviewer as "incredibly innovative, rich in analysis, and extremely well-written and organized".[10] Similar respectful feedback was provided for other accepted papers.[12]”

Grievance studies affair - Wikipedia

And dude, wtf is up with the size of that hyperlink in your OP? For real.

I live in Kansas surrounded by take personal responsibility, raise yourself by your bootstraps,, earn your way like we did, farm subsidy receiving, 4th and 5th generation homestead land "owning," white right wing nutjobs. But not one of them benefitted from racism, nor has the government ever given them anything.
By the early 1900s, post slavery Black people owned 15 MILLION ACRES of farmland largely due to a variety of programs to help them start their new lives of freedom. It would be fair to call that a very successful REPARATIONS PROGRAM. Sadly Black land ownership has shrunk by 97 percent since the 1900s for a variety of reasons. The government gave your ancestors plenty IM2. And in 2024 if you are Black with an ounce of motivation, every door flies open for you.

Blacks were slaves in Africa before they were ever slaves in America. They were already slaves when they were brought to America. It was white people who gave them their freedom. They never would have been granted freedom in Africa.

And I’m sure they take bullwhips to you every day. Most of those farms have changed hands multiple times since the original grantees nearly killed themselves breaking virgin prairie that laughed at horse or ox- drawn plows. You always preach that those people had it so easy, doing a hundredth of what they had to do to prove those grants would kill you. Grow up.

Of course not. Neither was the fact that the land the family farm is on was a giveaway via the Homestead Act.
LBJ: I'm going to build a great society
when in fact the real plan wa
I'm going to have them N's voting democrat for the next 250 years

The Party of the KKK lied to you

This thread is about
This thread is about what the majority of your threads are about IM2

One races sense of entitlement juxtaposed to their level of self sufficiency

Which is your opinion, not the majority of your race

~S~

This thread is not about the tired ass menme white racists post about out of wedlock births. This thread is about the government investment in white homeownership at the exclusion of backs.

And I will no longer be discussing ANY topic with people who utilize the Nazi symbol in any manner.
I apologize. You are right. I didn't read the linked essay because the link didn't work, and I'm not sure I want to devote a significant amount of time to reading it.

Since the claim of racist housing policy is easily summarized, why don't YOU write a couple paragraphs to explain what the policies were and how they were SPECIFICALLY racist, or simply worked out that way.

Parenthetically, neither I nor any of my neighborhood "pals" got any help buying our first homes from our parents, who lived through the Depression and barely owned their own modest homes. If the argument is that White people are able to buy homes easily because of family wealth, that is not universally true, in fact seldom true for working class White people.

Or another possibility is you are a paid poster who floods USMB with EXACTLY THE SAME THREADS day after day, week after week, month after month, and year after year. Like the great coach once said YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD SAYS YOU ARE. IM2 your record sucks.
IM2 is prodigious but not very influential

As long as black people refuse to take personal responsibility for their failure progress for them will be slow

LBJ: I'm going to build a great society
when in fact the real plan wa
I'm going to have them N's voting democrat for the next 250 years

The Party of the KKK lied to you
The Great Society helped me. So nobody lied to me.
And the modern Republican party is the party of the KKK.

I apologize. You are right. I didn't read the linked essay because the link didn't work, and I'm not sure I want to devote a significant amount of time to reading it.

Since the claim of racist housing policy is easily summarized, why don't YOU write a couple paragraphs to explain what the policies were and how they were SPECIFICALLY racist, or simply worked out that way.

Parenthetically, neither I nor any of my neighborhood "pals" got any help buying our first homes from our parents, who lived through the Depression and barely owned their own modest homes. If the argument is that White people are able to buy homes easily because of family wealth, that is not universally true, in fact seldom true for working class White people.
No. I want you and the others to read the study in order to learn the extent of what went on. It's time you guys educated yourself because summarizing things in short paragraphs doesn't resonate with you guys.

Forum List

Back