Why are there so many job vacancies?

Well then you will simply have to accept long lines. Those jobs will probably remain unfilled. So be it. Not a big deal in the end. I don't expect people to flick to those jobs.

Well then you will simply have to accept long lines. Those jobs will probably remain unfilled. So be it. Not a big deal in the end. I don't expect people to flick to those jobs.
They won’t until the government stops handing out all the freebies. There is no excuse for a grown man to be unemployed and on food stamps when there are jobs available he could put food on the table.

Take away food stamps from able-bodied adults who refuse to take a job….and the jobs will get filled.

I am noticing short staffing, reduced services and/or earlier closing times at nearly every business I patronize. Why is this? I understand that we have a low unemployment rate, but we also have a low labor participation rate. Where have all the workers gone?
the government is paying them to stay home,,

The new generation has far too many lazy ass kids.............

Kids used to be kicked out of the nest........now they never leave the nest.

iu

The new generation has far too many lazy ass kids.............

Kids used to be kicked out of the nest........now they never leave the nest.

iu
When I was a kid, by the age of 12 or 13, the girls were babysitting for extra money, and the boys were shoveling snow and mowing lawns at the same age. As soon as we were able, at 16, we got regular part-time jobs. We continued that through college, and full-time in summers. Upon graduation, most of us had jobs lined up, and we began our 40-year careers.

Government help, in the form on temporary unemployment compensation, was a last-resort, and we wanted to get off it and into jobs as soon as we could.

Now, parents in my neighborhood actively discourage their kids from shoveling snow, as it is “beneath” an upper-middle class kid, and none of them work the PT jobs at McDonalds we did. The parents have instilled the idea that work is optional, and now, with the government handing out the goodies, adults think it is just fine to live off other people’s earnings.

Sigh. The country used to be so much better.

When I was a kid, by the age of 12 or 13, the girls were babysitting for extra money, and the boys were shoveling snow and mowing lawns at the same age. As soon as we were able, at 16, we got regular part-time jobs. We continued that through college, and full-time in summers. Upon graduation, most of us had jobs lined up, and we began our 40-year careers.

Government help, in the form on temporary unemployment compensation, was a last-resort, and we wanted to get off it and into jobs as soon as we could.

Now, parents in my neighborhood actively discourage their kids from shoveling snow, as it is “beneath” an upper-middle class kid, and none of them work the PT jobs at McDonalds we did. The parents have instilled the idea that work is optional, and now, with the government handing out the goodies, adults think it is just fine to live off other people’s earnings.

Sigh. The country used to be so much better.
I was cutting grass and raking and cleaning yards at 10 lol

Now it's WE ARE OWED ..............The left have helped brain wash them into thinking they are OWED SOMETHING............Nation going to hell.

They won’t until the government stops handing out all the freebies. There is no excuse for a grown man to be unemployed and on food stamps when there are jobs available he could put food on the table.

Take away food stamps from able-bodied adults who refuse to take a job….and the jobs will get filled.
If only it was that simple. Without increasing the minimum wage, many people don't want to work at McDonalds, and the rest aren't qualified to find vacancies in tech.

eagle1462010

Your father let you mow lawns at 10? Was it the manual kind? I remember my brother having a big fight with my dad, may he RIP, at age 11 because he wanted to mow lawns, and Dad said it was dangerous with the gas-powered blades, and he was forbidden untI’ll age 12. A fate worth than death! Nowadays, the parents won’t allow their 16-year-olds to mow lawns because it’s “beneath them.”

Man, has this country gone to shit, or what?

eagle1462010

Your father let you mow lawns at 10? Was it the manual kind? I remember my brother having a big fight with my dad, may he RIP, at age 11 because he wanted to mow lawns, and Dad said it was dangerous with the gas-powered blades, and he was forbidden untI’ll age 12. A fate worth than death! Nowadays, the parents won’t allow their 16-year-olds to mow lawns because it’s “beneath them.”

Old TG & Y lawnmower...........Was our chores and made some money cutting neighbors yards.........yes.

That old mower lasted forever it seemed. Used a hatchet for an edger....didn't have any fancy edgers then.

eagle1462010

I started cutting grass and shoveling snow when I was 5-6 with my older brother and friends, had a regular job by 11 bussing tables at an Italian restaurant and haven't quit yet at 57,,

If only it was that simple. Without increasing the minimum wage, many people don't want to work at McDonalds, ...
WITH increasing minimum wage McDonalds will wisely install more kiosk-type automated shops and you can feel great about yourself while those people get NO job because they are unqualified for anything they think is good enough for them and gain no employment history to become more experienced to even be considered for anything else. Way to go.

I started cutting grass and shoveling snow when I was 5-6 with my older brother and friends, had a regular job by 11 bussing tables at an Italian restaurant and haven't quit yet at 57,,
Impressive!

The problem now is liberals don’t see work, and being successful, as positives. In fact, they’re downright resentful of successful business owners. Remember Onama’s “you didn’t build that!” scolding?

We walked to school at least my first 2 schools. Only had 3 channels on tv. And everyone thought we were rich because we got a undersized central AC unit. lol

Get's old having to move the TV antena all the time . Old clothes line. The square one.

I am noticing short staffing, reduced services and/or earlier closing times at nearly every business I patronize. Why is this? I understand that we have a low unemployment rate, but we also have a low labor participation rate. Where have all the workers gone?
More kids live at home and for longer periods of time. Many retired early as the stock market was awesome and they could afford it along with high RE values.

WITH increasing minimum wage McDonalds will wisely install more kiosk-type automated shops and you can feel great about yourself while those people get NO job because they are unqualified for anything they think is good enough for them and gain no employment history to become more experienced to even be considered for anything else. Way to go.
Option 2. Go to school. Get a degree, and the world will beat a path to your door.

We walked to school at least my first 2 schools. Only had 3 channels on tv. And everyone thought we were rich because we got a undersized central AC unit. lol

Get's old having to move the TV antena all the time . Old clothes line. The square one.
Me, too. I walked to school throughout - and the elementary school was a mile away. Rain, snow….we trudged through. And they didn’t close the schools for an inch of snow, either! Mom just made sure we had our gloves and boots on, and out the door our little butts went.

And the clothes line? I remember that. I was putting the clothes on the line by age 8 or so.

This country has gone so soft.

Forum List

Back