Why are there so many job vacancies?

Not an excuse not to work.
COVID-19 Unemployment Benefits | USAGov

COVID-19 extended unemployment benefits from the federal government have ended.

As a general matter, individuals receiving regular unemployment compensation must act upon any referral to suitable employment and must accept any offer of suitable employment. Barring unusual circumstances, a request that a furloughed employee return to his or her job very likely constitutes an offer of suitable employment that the employee must accept.

More young people living at home for longer isn't a negative. It's a family taking care of their kids. Nothing at all bad about it.

As a general matter, individuals receiving regular unemployment compensation must act upon any referral to suitable employment and must accept any offer of suitable employment. Barring unusual circumstances, a request that a furloughed employee return to his or her job very likely constitutes an offer of suitable employment that the employee must accept.
I know how regular unemployment compensation is supposed to be. The fact is that people make a half-hearted attempt to contact employers to satisfy the requirements, and milk the UE for as long as possible.

Look at any chart of when unemployed find a job. (I’ll research to see if I can find something.) When UE was 13 weeks, people amazingly found jobs in weeks 11 and 12. During times when it was stretched to 26 weeks, there was a big jump in weeks 24 and 25.

And as far as food stamps, that is discouraging people from working also. I personally know someone who lost his job, and his wife’s relatively modest earnings allowed them to make rent, but not enough for food. He was ready to take a retail job when they figured out they could get food stamps. So he retracted his application, and just sits home. Between the wife’s salary, UE, and now food stamps for their family, he doesn’t need to work.

All the power to him. Retail needs to provide better wages and more paid time off in general.

When I was a kid, by the age of 12 or 13, the girls were babysitting for extra money, and the boys were shoveling snow and mowing lawns at the same age. As soon as we were able, at 16, we got regular part-time jobs. We continued that through college, and full-time in summers. Upon graduation, most of us had jobs lined up, and we began our 40-year careers.

Government help, in the form on temporary unemployment compensation, was a last-resort, and we wanted to get off it and into jobs as soon as we could.

Now, parents in my neighborhood actively discourage their kids from shoveling snow, as it is “beneath” an upper-middle class kid, and none of them work the PT jobs at McDonalds we did. The parents have instilled the idea that work is optional, and now, with the government handing out the goodies, adults think it is just fine to live off other people’s earnings.

Sigh. The country used to be so much better.
Exactly....

Parents are providing for their children even into retirement age. When the children should be providing for their parents.

A regular job that has regular responsibilities and a paycheck is very foreign to children and teenagers these days.

And that lack of respect for those who do hold a job is rampant everywhere. It's not uncommon for a person working fast food to get blessed out by some Karen who wanted onion rings instead of fries....or got the oreo milkshake instead of strawberry.

No parent in their right mind wants their child to be subjected to that. Especially when there is a real chance of them catching covid and having genetically deformed grand babies because of the infection.

Nevermind the chance of armed robbery or some other wackanoodle driving a truck into the shack of a building while stoned out of his mind on fentanyl. And fast food/service type jobs are the last ones that do not require a drug screening of any sort. So your child's co-workers might be enterprising enough to sell them recreational drugs....

Then the worst thing is that your child might actually meet someone and fall in love with a blue collar worker who has no desire or capability of getting a college diploma.

These reasons and more are why parents are not allowing their children to get jobs.

Exactly....

Parents are providing for their children even into retirement age. When the children should be providing for their parents.

A regular job that has regular responsibilities and a paycheck is very foreign to children and teenagers these days.

And that lack of respect for those who do hold a job is rampant everywhere. It's not uncommon for a person working fast food to get blessed out by some Karen who wanted onion rings instead of fries....or got the oreo milkshake instead of strawberry.

No parent in their right mind wants their child to be subjected to that. Especially when there is a real chance of them catching covid and having genetically deformed grand babies because of the infection.

Nevermind the chance of armed robbery or some other wackanoodle driving a truck into the shack of a building while stoned out of his mind on fentanyl. And fast food/service type jobs are the last ones that do not require a drug screening of any sort. So your child's co-workers might be enterprising enough to sell them recreational drugs....

Then the worst thing is that your child might actually meet someone and fall in love with a blue collar worker who has no desire or capability of getting a college diploma.

These reasons and more are why parents are not allowing their children to get jobs.
I’m hearing a lot of excuses.

1) That still doesn’t explain why not a SINGLE parent in my neighborhood of approximately 500 houses has ever encouraged his kid to go door to door asking for shoveling jobs. NEVER in my 20 years of living here.

2) As far as fast food jobs, there are part-time and summer jobs in offices and retail. Sure you put up with crap there too. The boss can be a bitch, whatever. When I was a teen and complained to my dad about the low-paid summer work with a nasty boss and boring to boot, he said that any job, unless it was either illegal or unsafe, was better than no job. We need to instill that attitude again.

Finally, as far as the shoveling jobs, we live about three blocks from a subsidized townhouse community, full of teens. (I know, because I walk past there and I see them hanging out. Many are males in their late teens - peak strength.) Why in 20 years hasn‘t even ONE of them knocked on my door and asked to shovel my driveway?

Correct the dying work ethic in this country, and we will be halfway to solving the other problems.

We have kids that shovel driveways here. They charge $80 every time no matter how big or small the job is. They are making well over $80 per hour on a job that takes 15 minutes.

So are unemployment filings going up or are benefits being extended? That seems counter-intuitive with a low unemployment rate. Does this have something to do with "workfare" having been removed?

Forum List

Back