Why Does RealClearPolitics Running Poll Omit the LA Times Poll?

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Here are the two polls/averages.

http://graphics.latimes.com/usc-presidential-poll-dashboard/

RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - General Election: Trump vs. Clinton vs. Johnson vs. Stein

Dont see the LA Times anywhere on the RCP average, now why is that? LAT shows Trump with a 2% lead, but the RCP shows a solid phalanx of polls that show Clinton around 4-5% ahead.

Of course all these polls ignore the factor that online polling has been more accurate with Trump than phone polling. Remember how the WSJ had Trump down behind Cruz? Phone poll.

Are there any other polls that show Trump at or above Clintons standings that are not in the RCP averages?

It is included in the RCP averages. On the last reading, Clinton was up by 2.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - General Election: Trump vs. Clinton

It's a tracking poll. Tracking polls compile their data daily over the Internet. Gallup and Rasmussen also have tracking polls.

Tracking polls are considered less reliable because they aren't talking to people. I am part of the Gallup data set. They send me something every week via email to fill out a survey online. I ignore almost all of them.

Generally, polls in which the data is gathered over the phone by a live person talking to another live person are considered to be the best. Robocalls are generally considered to be the worst. Online polls vary. I've heard pollsters say that some polls shouldn't be included in the RCP averages because of the methodology, including this one.

That poll consistently has had Trump outperforming Hillary compared to all the other polls, so I wouldn't get too excited if I were a Trump supporter. If Trump starts pulling closer in the other polls, then you'll know the race is tightening.

Forum List

Back