Why I prefer grasshoppers to eating beef...

What are lobsters and crabs but large insect like creatures that live in the sea and they’re delicious!
Grasshoppers might be delicious if prepared a certain way. IDK, I've never tried them.

If I were doing one of those survival things, I think I would lean toward boiling them in some water and making a soup.

Grasshoppers might be delicious if prepared a certain way. IDK, I've never tried them.

If I were doing one of those survival things, I think I would lean toward boiling them in some water and making a soup.
Chop em up real fine and mix it with burger and you'll never know they were there. No thanks.

What are lobsters and crabs but large insect like creatures that live in the sea and they’re delicious!
Hey, I'm not knocking it. We eat rabbits and squirrels and other stuff other folks turns their noses up at, and it's delicious as well.

But don't try to sell it to me as a substitute for beef, or because cow farts are going to set the Earth ablaze.

P.S. - if you ain't sucked crawdad heads, your missin' out.

iu

"You'll own nothing, and you'll like it."

While eating bugs.

Yummy...a big skillet of grasshoppers.

You enjoy that.

I'll be over there grilling an all beef hamburger.

Way...WAY over there...
I always keep in mind that when you eat an insect, you are also consuming its alimentary canal, along with the fecal matter inside it. So, unless lost in a wilderness and starving, I won't eat any.

"You'll own nothing, and you'll like it."

While eating bugs.

Yummy...a big skillet of grasshoppers.

You enjoy that.

I'll be over there grilling an all beef hamburger.

Way...WAY over there...

Many years ago, mid-80's, a local Baltimore television show, Evening Magazine, ran a segment on the tasty, nutritional benefits of deep fried grasshoppers. I was around twelve years old then, saw the segment, went out and caught dozens of grasshoppers and then begged my mother to fry them up—which she did. Funny thing, no one would touch them in our household, including me. I think she grounded me for wasting oil and flour. Oh well.

I don't think I would have a problem with ground up grasshoppers, but I think it would take a lot for me to actually prefer them to beef.

I don't think I would have a problem with ground up grasshoppers, but I think it would take a lot for me to actually prefer them to beef.
It is this kind of crap that leads to things like covid and other health emergencies. Survival is one thing--steady diet is another. What evidence can they fall back on that shows that a steady diet of bugs leads to good health and life expectancy?

It is this kind of crap that leads to things like covid and other health emergencies. Survival is one thing--steady diet is another. What evidence can they fall back on that shows that a steady diet of bugs leads to good health and life expectancy?
There is a reason why diets shift away from "whatever moves in your immediate vicinity" when a society becomes wealthier.

Good video embedded in this article. If there is one quick takeaway from the article, though, it would be the linked to a National Library of Medicine study -

"The experimental material comprised samples of live insects (imagines) from 300 household farms and pet stores, including 75 mealworm farms, 75 house cricket farms, 75 Madagascar hissing cockroach farms and 75 migrating locust farms. Parasites were detected in 244 (81.33%) out of 300 (100%) examined insect farms. In 206 (68.67%) of the cases, the identified parasites were pathogenic for insects only; in 106 (35.33%) cases, parasites were potentially parasitic for animals; and in 91 (30.33%) cases, parasites were potentially pathogenic for humans. Edible insects are an underestimated reservoir of human and animal parasites.

Our research indicates the important role of these insects in the epidemiology of parasites pathogenic to vertebrates. Conducted parasitological examination suggests that edible insects may be the most important parasite vector for domestic insectivorous animals. According to our studies the future research should focus on the need for constant monitoring of studied insect farms for pathogens, thus increasing food and feed safety."

Yummy

Forum List

Back