Why Not Restrict Gun Purchases by Those on Terror Watch List if it can be Challenged?

Folks, we have to do something.

I am a life member of the NRA and past member of the GOA, and I do not want to see Americans lose their gun rights, not one tiny bit.

But if we can justify removing gun purchase rights from felons and crazy people, then certainly it is justifiable to remove gun purchasing rights from those designated as full blown terrorists, or 'enemy combatants'.

The catch is they cant be simply on a watch list, there needs to be a further step, like designating them enemy combatants and then informing them, allowing them to challenge the designation and appeal it.

But these screwballs should not be able to buy guns of any kind; not even a BB gun.

Because people's names are put on a watch list arbitrarily and without due process. Did you know that merely exercising your right to free speech could get you on a watch list? If your neighbor said you looked like a terrorist you could be put on a watch list

So if you want to go ahead and apply that same standard to every right listed in the Constitution go ahead.

On a watch list? No 4th amendment protections for you
On the no fly list forget about your Miranda rights

Free speech don't make me laugh your on a watch list

When you are prepared for that let me know

I am a life member of the NRA and past member of the GOA, and I do not want to see Americans lose their gun rights, not one tiny bit.

But if we can justify removing gun purchase rights from felons and crazy people, then certainly it is justifiable to remove gun purchasing rights from those designated as full blown terrorists, or 'enemy combatants'.

The catch is they cant be simply on a watch list, there needs to be a further step, like designating them enemy combatants and then informing them, allowing them to challenge the designation and appeal it.

But these screwballs should not be able to buy guns of any kind; not even a BB gun.

Because people's names are put on a watch list arbitrarily and without due process. Did you know that merely exercising your right to free speech could get you on a watch list? If your neighbor said you looked like a terrorist you could be put on a watch list

So if you want to go ahead and apply that same standard to every right listed in the Constitution go ahead.

And no voting if you are on the list...

Due Process? Constitutional protections? Rights?

You're obviously not on board with the program, citizen. Those are old concepts, and the past was double-plus-ungood.

You could use some re-education. Perhaps a few days in MinLuv's Room 101 will do you some good.

And remember, we've always been at was with Eastasia.

We can't stop drugs or human trafficking from south of the border. If we stop all citizens from owning firearms, all it will do is add one more item to the black market. Prohibition doesn't work.

Nobody is going to ban all guns. Only an idiot right winger would say that would happen.

Tell that to the British, the Australians and the Germans....

Like I said. Only an idiot right winger would say that.

Really...did Germany ban guns? Did Britain ban guns? Did Australia ban guns? What about France?

moron....

Look at the map. Does this look like Germany,England,Australia, or France? Is out constitution the same as their's?

We can't stop drugs or human trafficking from south of the border. If we stop all citizens from owning firearms, all it will do is add one more item to the black market. Prohibition doesn't work.

Nobody is going to ban all guns. Only an idiot right winger would say that would happen.

Tell that to the British, the Australians and the Germans....

Like I said. Only an idiot right winger would say that.

Really...did Germany ban guns? Did Britain ban guns? Did Australia ban guns? What about France?

moron....

Look at the map. Does this look like Germany,England,Australia, or France? Is out constitution the same as their's?

Doesn't matter......the reason we are not Germany, Britain, Australia or France is our Bill of Rights...and you nuts keep attacking it........

We understand history.....you guys do not.....we aren't going to trust our future generations to your views on what we need or don't need.....

Well, first of all, we don't even know what lists exist. Then we don't know the criteria for even getting on that list, or how to get off a list that exists, but is kept under lock and key for "national security" sake.

It smacks of an arbitrary nature, can easily be abused for political enemies (like Nixon and his famous list or the IRS targeting Tea Party groups).

Then there is the issue of due process. Are we really going to restrict free men from exercising his rights without giving him a day in court? Comfy with that? How about extending that to other rights? Maybe we can just call him an enemy combatant and ship him off to Gitmo. Once we start down that slippery slope we, as a free people, are well and truly fucked.

We are in a state of war with ISIS. They have their own agents online talking disturbed and unbalanced Muslims to commit martyrdom to exit their problematic life and gain a reward in Heaven and to be a hero to the Caliphate and its supporters.

What I am suggesting is that we treat people officially being put on a list of known enemy sympathizers which would be something they would be notified about and could contest and appeal. It would perhaps be a separate list of confirmed enemy combatants, who have supported or joined in some way those who are at war with the USA and intent on killing our people.

The Constitution does not give such people the right to own guns, even if they are citizens.

It is remarkable to me that some people take gun rights to the point that they will defend even declared enemies and would be mass murderers the right to own guns.

SMH

Liberty is messy, uncertain, risky, and can be scary. But you can't deprive a man of his rights based on what he might could maybe possibly could eventually do. Convict him of a felony or adjudicate him as mentally incapable of owning a firearm. Otherwise leave him alone to do what he wants.

But liberty is NOT murderous and suicidal.

And that is what we are if we insist on giving gun rights to those who mean us harm.

those are not the people they want on that list...they didn't say the terror list...they said the no fly list.....two different things and another bait and switch.....

The no fly list catches Congressmen, and innocent citizens and they are not told why they are on the list or how to get off of it....

Actual terrorists...sure, ban them.
But that is the point of giving citizens notice that they are being considered being put on the list so that they can contest the action, and can appeal as well.

Perhaps there needs to be a separate list of 'Terrorist Restriction' people that would carry the weight of being designated as an enemy agent in time of war?

Again, I am proposing a process that people will be notified about ahead of time, and who can then fight and appeal it as they deem necessary.

That would have saved the lives of the people in California and Orlando, I do believe, had the FBI not been so hampered with PC bullshit that they had to let the guy off for claiming he was being harassed by his coworkers and that was why he said he was in support of AQ, ISIS, and the Taliban, IIRC..

Due Process? Constitutional protections? Rights?

You're obviously not on board with the program, citizen. Those are old concepts, and the past was double-plus-ungood.

You could use some re-education. Perhaps a few days in MinLuv's Room 101 will do you some good.

And remember, we've always been at was with Eastasia.

You are obviously willing to let untold numbers of American citizens get slaughtered while you pat yourself on the back for 'protecting' Constitutional rights, that you are in fact actually undermining by using them to prevent common sense steps we must take to deafat an enemy we are at war with.

Again, I am proposing a process that people will be notified about ahead of time, and who can then fight and appeal it as they deem necessary.

That would have saved the lives of the people in California and Orlando, I do believe, had the FBI not been so hampered with PC bullshit that they had to let the guy off for claiming he was being harassed by his coworkers and that was why he said he was in support of AQ, ISIS, and the Taliban, IIRC..

What is the process of being put on the list?
That list is arbitrary and as soon as we start arbitrarily denying people their Constitutionally guaranteed and protected rights we might as well wipe our asses with the Constitution

You are obviously willing to let untold numbers of American citizens get slaughtered while you pat yourself on the back for 'protecting' Constitutional rights, that you are in fact actually undermining by using them to prevent common sense steps we must take to deafat an enemy we are at war with.

Jim it's amazing that the gun nutters, by not being able to compromise on gun issues, are their own worst enemies to the Second amendment they worship.

The non gun worshippers will only take so much absence of common sense.

Jim it's amazing that the gun nutters, by not being able to compromise on gun issues, are their own worst enemies to the Second amendment they worship.

So wanting due process is being unreasonable now?

A process needs to be defined and implemented before people can have their rights taken away by an incompetent and fickle Federal government.

To my perspective the only thing these defenders of the 2nd Amendment worship is the Bill of Rights.

Forum List

Back