Would you eat genetically modified food if you understood the science behind it?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
7586-vt_26jpg.webp

I’ve seen a lot of comments about GMOs where people are trashing them as being dangerous and inedible.

Yet, if one truly understands, almost every food we eat today has been genetically engineered in the centuries since they were first farmed. Wheat was once nothing more than a wild grass early farmers learned to harvest. How did they learn to dig up and eat root vegetables like carrots and onions. Potatoes. Corn. Tomatoes. All of it far different from the original.

Same with farm animals. The turkey we put on our plates today is totally different from with wild ones. Name a breed and it’s been altered from the original over history.

Date: June 4, 2019

Source: University of Rochester

Summary: While genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are considered safe by an overwhelming majority of scientists, only about one third of consumers share that view. A team of psychologists and biologists set out to discover if consumers' attitudes would change if the public understood the underlying science better. The short answer is 'yes.'

Much more @ Would you eat genetically modified food if you understood the science behind it?

7586-vt_26jpg.webp

I’ve seen a lot of comments about GMOs where people are trashing them as being dangerous and inedible.

Yet, if one truly understands, almost every food we eat today has been genetically engineered in the centuries since they were first farmed. Wheat was once nothing more than a wild grass early farmers learned to harvest. How did they learn to dig up and eat root vegetables like carrots and onions. Potatoes. Corn. Tomatoes. All of it far different from the original.

Same with farm animals. The turkey we put on our plates today is totally different from with wild ones. Name a breed and it’s been altered from the original over history.

Summary: While genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are considered safe by an overwhelming majority of scientists, only about one third of consumers share that view. A team of psychologists and biologists set out to discover if consumers' attitudes would change if the public understood the underlying science better. The short answer is 'yes.'

Much more @ Would you eat genetically modified food if you understood the science behind it?

There is a very real difference between modifying a plant via hybridization by cross pollination and the inserting of completely foreign genes into the genome of a plant.

There is a very real difference between modifying a plant via hybridization by cross pollination and the inserting of completely foreign genes into the genome of a plant.
And that difference is...? One difference is that scientific modification or insertion is much safer and more precise.

7586-vt_26jpg.webp

All commercial farm animals are artificially inseminated these days.

7586-vt_26jpg.webp

Well, all yours are....heh heh

7586-vt_26jpg.webp

Well, all yours are....heh heh

Whenever you baste a turkey ... remember, it's seen this thing before.

31IB4uGX%2BFL._SX425_.jpg

7586-vt_26jpg.webp

Explain the difference to us please.

7586-vt_26jpg.webp

Explain the difference to us please.

So you don't understand that inserting a gene that in no way would ever make it into a plant's genome in the natural world is different from hybridization via natural methods?

Inserting animal genes into plants for example.

7586-vt_26jpg.webp

But cows aren't inseminated with chicken sperm

Im good with our lifespans, as compared with history. I doNt worry about GMO.

7586-vt_26jpg.webp

Consuming GMO's is not the problem.
The problem is we are messing with nature. We don't know/don't care about what after effects there might be from altering plants in such a way. Monsanto purposefully altering corn so it will never reproduce, so they can own the seed. Monsanto altering vegetables to extend shelf life at the cost of nutritional value.
Did you know there use to be over 80 varieties of green beans? I bet you thought green beans were just one plant. Companies altered one variety to make it produce more, so every farmer everywhere decades ago only want the one variety. Hundres of varieties of all kinds of vegetables are extinct/near extinction.
That is not a good thing.

^Fuck that, some things should not be messed with.
Theyre typically messed with so that we have the abundance of food that we enjoy, and as a result we do have longer lifespans, too. I dont battle with minutia.

Theyre typically messed with so that we have the abundance of food that we enjoy, and as a result we do have longer lifespans, too. I dont battle with minutia.

When it comes to corporate monopolization on food production, I'm not for that, sorry. -Not sorry.
Im sure you say that online as your uber principled stance, but if I were a betting man the odds are stacked heavy heavy that youve supported just that, with your wallet.

Even local farmers markets use modified seeds.

When it comes to corporate monopolization on food production, I'm not for that, sorry. -Not sorry.
Im sure you say that online as your uber principled stance, but if I were a betting man the odds are stacked heavy heavy that youve supported just that, with your wallet.

Odds are I haven't had a choice.

Of course you have a choice. It just depends on how important it really is to you, whether or not making that choice is practical.

Of course you have a choice. It just depends on how important it really is to you, whether or not making that choice is practical.

When there's no non-GMO corn at teh Wally World, I really don't have a choice, now do I? What is my alternative?

When there's no non-GMO corn at teh Wally World, I really don't have a choice, now do I? What is my alternative?
To grow and maintain your own food and animals, or to relocate.

But you care so little, thats like the LEAST practical option, right?

Its only your FOOD

Its only what keeps you ALIVE and such...

GMOs are so bad on principle right, why would you EVER take those hard steps of self sustainability

Forum List

Back