WSJ....The Hottest Job Market in a Generation Is Over

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Americans’ once-in-a-generation job market has come to an end.

The red-hot hiring and rock-bottom unemployment that helped millions of workers find new gigs, boost their wages and reinvent their careers are giving way to more prosaic times. While the market is still healthy by many measures, signs of difficulty are creeping in.

The unemployment rate ticked up to 4.1% last month—the first time it has crossed above 4% since 2021. That’s still low by historical measures, but it’s up from 3.4% early last year.

Workers have stopped quitting jobs at a frenzied pace, and college grads are having a hard time breaking into the market at all. The number of open positions for every unemployed person is back to the prepandemic level of 1.2, down from over 2 in 2022.

Here's an interesting site....See if your company is on it. ;)

Looks like it's still booming for .gov and healthcare though.

I figured the employee market was waning because a lot of places are ending their work from home allowances. The seething from people who disappeared for 3+ years is gonna be huge.

I swear though, when I browse the want ads I'm amazed that local employers are only wanting to pay $25.00 a hour for experienced tradesmen.....Small wonder that it looks like an exodus every morning of trade vehicles headed out of my AO and into NOtVA.

Forum List

Back