Y'all Drive Safe Up North, okay?

Yankees like to malign us southerners for not being able to drive in the snow. I usually counter with my observation that yankees start dropping dead like flies ever year when the temp gets over 85F. But here, we see that even the yankees can’t drive for shit.

Yankees like to malign us southerners for not being able to drive in the snow. I usually counter with my observation that yankees start dropping dead like flies ever year when the temp gets over 85F. But here, we see that even the yankees can’t drive for shit.
That depends on what you get on the road surfaces. Sure, up north they get 6 inches on snow on the roads and think little of it. What they don't get is what happens down south when you get an inch of snow that melts on the road surface (because the temperature is right at 32 degrees), then freezes overnight, leaving an inch of snow on top of a layer of ice. Good luck with that 4wd that you can't control once the wheels start spinning. You're along for the ride.

That depends on what you get on the road surfaces. Sure, up north they get 6 inches on snow on the roads and think little of it. What they don't get is what happens down south when you get an inch of snow that melts on the road surface (because the temperature is right at 32 degrees), then freezes overnight, leaving an inch of snow on top of a layer of ice. Good luck with that 4wd that you can't control once the wheels start spinning. You're along for the ride.
You are certainly right. You cannot drive on ice at all. You can get traction on snow, and drive around alright on it so long as you slow down and are careful. But ice is an entirely different story. Our roads stay pretty warm, so it is common for the first snow to melt and, upon the temps dropping, form a layer of "black ice" on the road surface.

Even though Wyoming became a state in or around 1890, people in cold country automatically stop to help and out-of-stater or anyone else who is stranded on an Interstate, state highway, or country road with kindness and a shovel they keep in their trucks or cars to dig themselves or others out of the side of whatever the car you were driving that skidded however weirdly, with the dignity of helping a very scared driver who wasn't used to driving on ice hidden by fluffy white stuff. I imagine cold country has one trait all of us should strive for--mercy to the victim who just lived through an out-of-control vehicle on ice. Mercy is the law of the land up there in cold country. I found it out when the first snowstorm I encountered in my life resulted in me being stranded on a roadside between Chugwater and Glendo as I was trying to get back to my new home in Casper from Cheyenne back in or around 1969. A Wyoming man parked his truck several meters away from my car, and he showed up, a flat shovel in hand, and with a smile and a nod, dug snow around all four of my tires, which helped me get back on the road. I also learned that if the speed limit sign may have said 70 or 80 mph, sometimes 15 mph is too fast in the condition I was driving in--an interstate highway that had been plowed earlier, but ice forms in a New York minute on the windy winter roads of the Equality State. By the time I thanked the man for his help, he was already walking back to his truck, turned around, waved and smiled, without a word. Silly me, I teared up because of this guy's kindness, because no one I'd ever seen was so totally kind. I'm pretty sure other states up north have the same kind of people when the roads are rough, with personalities somewhere between kind and wonderful, and a broad smile victims will never forget. In other words, LLR, "yankees" do not always malign born southerners who may have never seen a snowflake while driving on their home state's roads. I spent 35 years of my life in Wyoming. Northerners in the cold country tend to be kind, helpful, and silent after they saved your life from the below-zero death that can be quick in that kind of awful weather.

Stay off the roads when it's bad. If you get hurt while driving g for work your employer is accountable.

Stay safe if you live near there.
I'm back home in Texas after retirement due to fibromyalgia got too painful in subzero weather every winter, and according to residents in Wyoming who lived there all their born days, they claim 2 seasons -- winter and the Fourth of July. That's quite a sense of humor, imho.

I guess that picture above really got under my nails, because I know how frightening it can be when one car slides off the road, but a line of crashed cars and trucks terrorized a lot of drivers, I am certain, and I know how it feels to spin in an out-of-control car, but I don't know the horros of a mass cars and trucks alike forming crashing into other cars or loaded trucks 20 times the size of their auto. :eek:

Last edited:
I've found the older I get the more I love the solitude and cold of winter. It got gradually easier to live happily during a cold winter.

I've found the older I get the more I love the solitude and cold of winter. It got gradually easier to live happily during a cold winter.
I had many years like that, but my fibromyalgia was a merciless 15 years of screaming out loud pain, 24/7/365, which ruined vacations, weekends, work, and civic activities. I learned to ignore it, just to get by at work, at church, on picnics, et all, without letting others know I was in indescribable pain. My doctor in Texas took some tests, found too much calcium in my blood, and a picture of 2 or the 4 parathyroid glands that showed problems. After the surgery, I had no pain, and not only that, but when I accidentally hammered my thumb, I couldn't feel the pain although the thumb turned black and blue. My brain doesn't acknowledge pain after those 15 years were up. Weird, no?

Forum List

Back