Yom Kippur chicken-swinging ritual spurs two lawsuits in US

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Kapparot, the pre-Yom Kippur folk custom of swinging a chicken around one’s head as a way of purging sin, is one of those Jewish practices that doesn’t always, ahem, dovetail with 21st-century mores.

The ritual has often encountered clucks of disapproval, and this High Holiday season is no different. In the United States this year kapparot has been the subject of at least two lawsuits: an anti-kapparot suit filed by animal-rights activists in New York City and a pro-kapparot suit filed by a suburban Detroit Chabad congregation encountering red tape.

They worked hard to get those lines in.

Kapparot, the pre-Yom Kippur folk custom of swinging a chicken around one’s head as a way of purging sin, is one of those Jewish practices that doesn’t always, ahem, dovetail with 21st-century mores.

The ritual has often encountered clucks of disapproval, and this High Holiday season is no different. In the United States this year kapparot has been the subject of at least two lawsuits: an anti-kapparot suit filed by animal-rights activists in New York City and a pro-kapparot suit filed by a suburban Detroit Chabad congregation encountering red tape.

it's a non issue.

it's a non issue.

Pfftt. They worked hard to get those one liners in.

It's part of what is often called Al Tashlichenu - casting away of sins. This is mentioned and prayed over in the Shma Koleynu, which is one of the deepest and most introspective prayers within Judaism and the only time in the year, if I recall correctly, when the Chazzan (Cantor) prostrates himself and sings in the lying-down position.

Many Jews these days go down to a river and cast bread crumbs into said river to symbolically cast away their sins. And the ducks are always very grateful for Yom Kippur. I did it this morning, as a matter of fact, on a small river not far from where I live.

The chicken over the head thing is just so, so, so, 1903, you know....

Last edited:
swinging a chicken is like swinging a three year old child-----the chicken has just as much fun as does the three year old.

It's part of what is often called Al Tashlichenu - casting away of sins. This is mentioned and prayed over in the Shma Koleynu, which is one of the deepest and most introspective prayers within Judaism and the only time in the year, if I recall correctly, when the Chazzan (Cantor) prostrates himself and sings in the lying-down position.

Many Jews these days go down to a river and cast bread crumbs into said river to symbolically cast away their sins. And the ducks are always very grateful for Yom Kippur. I did it this morning, as a matter of fact, on a small river not far from where I live.

Happy Yom Kippur!

Happy Yom Kippur!

Yasher Koach!

We should start a ritual, swing a goy around in the air

If you are the goy to be swung around, or Sunni Man, or Coyote, that is an excellent suggestion.

Granny thinks ya might have somethin' there...

... Swing yer chicken round n' round...

... swing yer chicken do-si-do.

... kinda catchey, ain't it?

Gonna have to try it...

... atta next Jew-bilee

If you are the goy to be swung around, or Sunni Man, or Coyote, that is an excellent suggestion.

LOL!!!

Uhm.... uhm.....

no.

:D

Rightwing goyim and then the goyim toss

If you plan to toss a RWNJ around your head, make sure he is salted and dry out before you begin. The meat must be kosher, you know.

/humor

If you plan to toss a RWNJ around your head, make sure he is salted and dry out before you begin. The meat must be kosher, you know.

/humor
And always wear gloves

Its an ignorant archaic superstitious disgrace.....

You guys are such fucking hypocrites.

Forum List

Back