You're gonna need a bigger boat!

Marianne

Diamond Member
May 15, 2014

(WHDS/CNN) – Kayakers off the shore of Plymouth, MA say they were scared to death when a great white shark attacked and knocked them into the water.

The two women were in separate kayaks about 110 yards off shore when they saw a shark's fin. The next thing they knew, the shark's teeth were just inches away from them.

"We were just talking and paddling,” kayaker Ida Parker said. “And I look over to talk to her and it came completely out of the water and got the bottom of the boat and flipped her over and knocked my kayak completely over."

Parker shook as she described her close encounter with the shark.

"I saw at least four feet of its head. Four feet of it came up out of the water."

She says the shark went after her and her friend.

"It bit through the boat,” Kristen Orr said. “There are bite marks all the way through the bottom of the kayak."

The harbormaster confirms that the bites on the kayak are from a great white shark. It's the second time one was spotted on Wednesday alone.

"We were sitting in the water and she was sinking and I was flipped over holding onto the bottom of the kayak,” Parker said. “And it was petrifying waiting in that water for the harbormaster to come and not knowing if anybody would come get us."

The women say a neighbor heard them screaming, the rushed into the water after calling 911. They were bobbing in the ocean, still unsure if they'd survive.

"The scariest part was sitting in the water, thinking he was waiting, wondering where he was. You didn't know if he was under you or around you."

It's been a summer full of shark sightings on the south shore. There was a sighting of a massive shark recently in Duxbury, MA. It could very well be the same great white that went after the two women, who know they are lucky to be alive.

The state police air wing tried chasing it down Wednesday, but they couldn't find it.

"My GoPro out there, if someone wants to fish it out,” Orr said. “I'm sure there is great footage, amazing footage of us screaming.”

Neither of the women were hurt in the attack.

Copyright WHDS via CNN. All rights reserved.

What a way to get scared shitless. Assume they'd both seen Jaws somewhere along the line that gave them a few things to think about as their feet kicked around in the water, knowing it was there...somewhere...

Every time I have swam in the ocean I have a great paranoia of being eaten by a shark, which leaves me on the beach getting drunk while others swim..

376681-600.jpg

Funny how nature is so indifferent and harsh,you go in the ocean your at the BOTTOM of the food chain. With that,holey shit snacks!! Had a giant Tiger steal 40 lb tuna from us one trip off of Va,came right up withing feet of the boat draging off our hooked fish did this several times then followed other boats around doing the same thing,massive beast cool as heck.

Wow! I would have just died right there on the spot from fright, who needs the shark to eat me alive.....

BUT THIS is the funniest part of the story, it got me chuckling....of course I didnt know what a go pro was, until I looked it up and found out it was a camera....

"My GoPro is out there, if someone wants to fish it out,” Orr said. “I'm sure there is great footage, amazing footage of us screaming.”

:rofl: just picturing them screaming..... more power to them, I would have died of the heart attack already...:)

I even have the same paranoia as of late swimming in lake..
Well actually your fear might not be all that unfounded as Bull Sharks have been known to swim upstream, into fresh water.

The bull shark (Carcharhinus leucas), also known as the Zambezi shark or, unofficially, as Zambi in Africa and Nicaragua shark in Nicaragua, is arequiem shark commonly found worldwide in warm, shallow waters along coasts and in rivers. The bull shark is known for its aggressive nature, predilection for warm shallow water, and presence in brackish and freshwater systems including estuaries and rivers.

Bull sharks can thrive in both saltwater and freshwater and can travel far up rivers. They have even been known to travel as far up the Mississippi River as Illinois,[2] although there have been few recorded freshwater attacks. They are probably responsible for the majority of near-shore shark attacks, including many attacks attributed to other species.[3]

Unlike the river sharks of the genus Glyphis, bull sharks are not true freshwater sharks, despite their ability to survive in freshwater habitats.

Jersey shore attacks 1916
Jersey Shore shark attacks of 1916 - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Between July 1 and July 12, 1916, five people were attacked along the coast of New Jersey by sharks; only one of the victims survived. The first attack occurred on Saturday, July 1 at Beach Haven, a resort town established on Long Beach Island off the southern coast of New Jersey. Charles Epting Vansant, 25, of Philadelphia was on vacation at the Engleside Hotel with his family. Before dinner, Vansant decided to take a quick swim in the Atlantic with a Chesapeake Bay Retriever that was playing on the beach. Shortly after entering the water, Vansant began shouting. Bathers believed he was calling to the dog, but a shark was actually biting Vansant's legs. He was rescued by lifeguardAlexander Ott, and bystander Sheridan Taylor who claimed the shark followed him to shore as they pulled the bleeding Vansant from the water. Vansant's left thigh was stripped of its flesh; he bled to death on the manager's desk of the Engleside Hotel at 6:45. p.m.[1]

Despite the Vansant incident, beaches along the Jersey Shore remained open. Sightings of large sharks swarming off the coast of New Jersey were reported by sea captains entering the ports of Newark and New York City but were dismissed. The second attack occurred 45 miles (72 km) north of Beach Haven at the resort town of Spring Lake, New Jersey. The victim was Charles Bruder, 27, a Swiss bellhopat the Essex & Sussex Hotel. Bruder was killed on Thursday, July 6, 1916, while swimming 130 yards (120 m) from shore. A shark bit him in the abdomen and severed his legs; Bruder's blood turned the water red. After hearing screams, a woman notified two lifeguards that a canoe with a red hull had capsized and was floating just at the water's surface. Lifeguards Chris Anderson and George White rowed to Bruder in a lifeboat and realized he had been bitten by a shark. They pulled him from the water, but he bled to death on the way to shore. According toThe New York Times, "women [were] panic-stricken [and fainted] as [Bruder's] mutilated body ... [was] brought ashore." Guests and workers at the Essex & Sussex and neighboring hotels raised money for Bruder's mother in Switzerland.[2][3]

The next two attacks took place in Matawan Creek near the town of Keyport on Wednesday, July 12. Located 30 miles (48 km) north of Spring Lake and inland of Raritan Bay, Matawan resembled a Midwestern town rather than an Atlantic beach resort.[4] Matawan's location made it an unlikely site for shark attacks. When Thomas Cottrell, a sea captain and Matawan resident, spotted an 8 ft (2.40m) long shark in the creek, the town dismissed him.[5] Around 2:00 p.m. local boys, including epileptic[6] Lester Stillwell, 11, were playing in the creek at an area called the Wyckoff dock when they saw what appeared to be an "old black weather-beaten board or a weathered log." A dorsal finappeared in the water and the boys realized it was a shark. Before Stillwell could climb from the creek, the shark attacked him and pulled him underwater.[7]

The boys ran to town for help, and several men, including local businessman Watson Stanley Fisher, 24, came to investigate. Fisher and others dived into the creek to find Stillwell's body, believing him to have suffered a seizure; Fisher was also attacked by the shark in front of the townspeople. He was pulled from the creek without recovering Stillwell's body. His right thigh was severely injured and he bled to death at Monmouth Memorial Hospital in Long Branch at 5:30 p.m.[8] Stillwell's body was recovered 150 feet (46 m) upstream from the Wyckoff dock on July 14.[9]

The fifth and final victim, Joseph Dunn, 14, of New York City was attacked a half-mile from the Wyckoff dock nearly 30 minutes after the attacks on Stillwell and Fisher. The shark bit his left leg, but Dunn was rescued by his brother and friend after a vicious tug-of-war battle with the shark. Joseph Dunn was taken to Saint Peter's University Hospital in New Brunswick; he recovered from the attack and was released on September 15, 1916.[10]

Wow! I would have just died right there on the spot from fright, who needs the shark to eat me alive.....

BUT THIS is the funniest part of the story, it got me chuckling....of course I didnt know what a go pro was, until I looked it up and found out it was a camera....

"My GoPro is out there, if someone wants to fish it out,” Orr said. “I'm sure there is great footage, amazing footage of us screaming.”

:rofl: just picturing them screaming..... more power to them, I would have died of the heart attack already...:)
I would have died of fright also but not before crapping my pants. lol

Forum List

Back