Much-vaunted US-supplied glide bombs given to Ukraine “didn’t work” due to a combination of mud and Russian signal jamming, the Pentagon has admitted.

I dont think we should blame the politicians for bad engineering or russian ingenuity

Its better we should go back to the drawing board and fix weaknesses now rather than when America is fighting another war
Sometimes the politicians are to blame. Take the Ford (aircraft carrie) as an example. The engineers warned the politicians the technology was not at the level it needed to be, but the politicians wanted the bragging rights about ushering in a new era and bang their chests over the technological advances. What we got was a boat that was way behind schedule, over budget, and still plagued with issues. As someone who worked on that boat I feel sorry for anyone who has to depend on it for their survival.

You poor ignorant fuck.
Ad hominem attack for me relating the stats?
Sorry you don't like the truth.
But I'm just reporting it. I didn't create the truth. But it is the truth.

Do you have verified proof of a reason why the USA, ALL of Europe, ALL of NATO, and about 80 other nations shouldn't be helping Ukraine against Russia?

Or is it that all you have is worthless name calling people who relate truth?

Ad hominem attack for me relating the stats?
Sorry you don't like the truth.
But I'm just reporting it. I didn't create the truth. But it is the truth.

Do you have verified proof of a reason why the USA, ALL of Europe, ALL of NATO, and about 80 other nations shouldn't be helping Ukraine against Russia?

Or is it that all you have is worthless name calling people who relate truth?

You don't even know what's being discussed.

You don't even know what's being discussed.
Glide bombs didn't work as planned....

It's ok....more munitions are available and en route.

And apparently all you have is name calling and false accusations....you apparently don't like facts, plus, when called out on giving a pathetic name calling you double down as if Americans can't read English.

And I'm supposed to be the moron?
That's rich!

Here, let me see if I can work up a feeling over it......nope....sorry....I can't. (Except I did get some mirth when thinking about your pathetic behavior)

FB_IMG_1440248519461.jpg

Glide bombs didn't work as planned....

It's ok....more munitions are available and en route.

And apparently all you have is name calling and false accusations....you apparently don't like facts, plus, when called out on giving a pathetic name calling you double down as if Americans can't read English.

And I'm supposed to be the moron?
That's rich!

Here, let me see if I can work up a feeling over it......nope....sorry....I can't. (Except I did get some mirth when thinking about your pathetic behavior)

View attachment 939397

What?

Funny, US came up with the tech and it’s failing. The Russians saw it, said “hold my beer” took the idea, and are successfully blowing up Ukes all over the line of battle.

Actually I'm wondering if we gave them the best tech we have, the link called them "adapted bombs". But didn't explain what that term means.

Actually I'm wondering if we gave them the best tech we have, the link called them "adapted bombs". But didn't explain what that term means.
It’s those JDAMs. They worked fine against goat herds who had no concept of electronic counter measures. The wizards in charge are unable to catch on that more sophisticated opponents might figure out a defense.

Why would I want to explain it, the story said dirt, big fucking deal. The real question is, why would you want to sweat the small stuff?

Dirt? Never saw that explained. How does "dirt" affect a warhead sitting inside a tube on a HIMARRS? Was that a convenient oversight in explanation or simple ignorance on the part of those reporting. That implies the reporting was crappy!

Dirt? Never saw that explained. How does "dirt" affect a warhead sitting inside a tube on a HIMARRS? Was that a convenient oversight in explanation or simple ignorance on the part of those reporting. That implies the reporting was crappy!

Two lines from the story?

Much-vaunted US-supplied glide bombs given to Ukraine “didn’t work” due to a combination of mud and Russian signal jamming, the Pentagon has admitted.
<<<snip>>>
It didn’t work for multiple reasons including EMI [Electromagnetic interference] environment, just really, dirt, and doing it on ground.”

What is shows is the quality of people xiden has working in the pentagon.

They are referring to GLSDB. It is a Saab/Boeing program that exchanges the cluster munitions warhead on the M26 rocket for a GBU-39 small diameter bomb.

There is a relatively sizeable inventory of M26 rockets in Europe that are not usable because those countries have banned cluster munitions.

The idea is to mate those rockets to the GBU-39 JDAM, to loft the SDB to altitude. It would have a longer range than the M31 but less than ATACMS.

They did some preliminary development a few years back but the project was put on hold. It was resurrected as a way to get a longer range rocket to Ukraine for the HIMARS and M270 launchers without sending ATACMS (which are both pricey and in very limited supply).

The SDB's have INS and GPS, but the GPS is being jammed and the INS doesn't seem to be very accurate in a ground launch scenario. (The GBU-39 is designed to be air-launched and cued from the launch platform)

It's not a weapon that the US ever planned to use, it was just a way to plus-up the HIMARS in Ukraine.

They are referring to GLSDB. It is a Saab/Boeing program that exchanges the cluster munitions warhead on the M26 rocket for a GBU-39 small diameter bomb.

There is a relatively sizeable inventory of M26 rockets in Europe that are not usable because those countries have banned cluster munitions.

The idea is to mate those rockets to the GBU-39 JDAM, to loft the SDB to altitude. It would have a longer range than the M31 but less than ATACMS.

They did some preliminary development a few years back but the project was put on hold. It was resurrected as a way to get a longer range rocket to Ukraine for the HIMARS and M270 launchers without sending ATACMS (which are both pricey and in very limited supply).

The SDB's have INS and GPS, but the GPS is being jammed and the INS doesn't seem to be very accurate in a ground launch scenario. (The GBU-39 is designed to be air-launched and cued from the launch platform)

It's not a weapon that the US ever planned to use, it was just a way to plus-up the HIMARS in Ukraine.

Wow, that's a shit load of unexplained acronyms, care to provide a glossary?

Wow, that's a shit load of unexplained acronyms, care to provide a glossary?

Sorry.
GLSDB is Ground Launched Small Diameter Bomb
SDB is Small Diameter Bomb (GBU-39, 250lb, JDAM)
ATACMS is Army Tactical Missile System (MGM-140, used with HIMARS)
JDAM is Joint Direct Attack Munition (actually a guidance kit that straps to any dumb bomb, it has folding wings and GPS/INS guidance)
HIMARS is High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (M-142)
M270 is the tracked version of HIMARS and has double the number of rockets (12) as the wheeled launcher, the M142 HIMARS (6)
INS is Inertial Navigation System
GPS is Global Positioning System

M26 and M31 are the common rockets for HIMARS.
ATACMS is a 500lb long-range rocket for the same system.

GLSDB was intended to fill a gap between M26/M31 and ATACMS. The idea was to give the Ukes a longer range rocket to use with their existing launchers, and to take advantage of the large supply of M26 rockets and GBU-39 SDB's that are already in NATO inventories.

Last edited:
Sorry.
GLSDB is Ground Launched Small Diameter Bomb
SDB is Small Diameter Bomb (GBU-39, 250lb, JDAM)
ATACMS is Army Tactical Missile System (MGM-140, used with HIMARS)
JDAM is Joint Direct Attack Munition (actually a guidance kit that straps to any dumb bomb, it has folding wings and GPS/INS guidance)
HIMARS is High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (M-142)
M270 is the tracked version of HIMARS and has double the number of rockets (12) as the wheeled launcher, the M142 HIMARS (6)
INS is Inertial Navigation System
GPS is Global Positioning System

M26 and M31 are the common rockets for HIMARS.
ATACMS is a 500lb long-range rocket for the same system.

GLSDB was intended to fill a gap between M26/M31 and ATACMS. The idea was to give the Ukes a longer range rocket to use with their existing launchers, and to take advantage of the large supply of M26 rockets and GBU-39 SDB's that are already in NATO inventories.

Thanks, just proves that optical guided weapons are far superior, but they are a lot more expensive.

Forum List

Back