Zone1 Why do some American Jews avoid Easter Egg hunts and Christmas presents for their children?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Why do some American Jews avoid Easter Egg hunts and Christmas presents for their children? Most other Americans attach no religious significance to these activities, yet some Jewish people I know go out of their way to isolate their children from them. Is it because of a fear of diluting their own religious beliefs, or is it to remind their children that they are different from other Americans? Would it be OK if the labels Spring and Winter holidays were used instead? It seems that many Jews are hesitant to discuss these matters, so I am posting my questions on this forum.

Is it because of a fear of diluting their own religious beliefs, or is it to remind their children that they are different from other Americans?
The Jewish people are still recognized as a distinct culture with enduring traditions, even after 3 millennia, because they have preserved those traditions in every nation on the planet where they have settled. That is part of why so many people dislike, even hate them. They ARE distinct and separate from others in the communities they live in.
I think most American Jews are not religious and are more likely to dilute their observances. They certainly work against Israel by a 2-1 margin in their voting. It will be interesting to see if the outrage Biden's DC has foisted on Israel changes their voting habits.

Why do some American Jews avoid Easter Egg hunts and Christmas presents for their children? Most other Americans attach no religious significance to these activities, yet some Jewish people I know go out of their way to isolate their children from them. Is it because of a fear of diluting their own religious beliefs, or is it to remind their children that they are different from other Americans? Would it be OK if the labels Spring and Winter holidays were used instead? It seems that many Jews are hesitant to discuss these matters, so I am posting my questions on this forum.
do Moslems have Easter Eggs? :)

The Jewish people are still recognized as a distinct culture with enduring traditions, even after 3 millennia, because they have preserved those traditions in every nation on the planet where they have settled. That is part of why so many people dislike, even hate them. They ARE distinct and separate from others in the communities they live in.
I think most American Jews are not religious and are more likely to dilute their observances. They certainly work against Israel by a 2-1 margin in their voting. It will be interesting to see if the outrage Biden's DC has foisted on Israel changes their voting habits.

You're blaming Biden?

Former Shin Bet director Yoram Cohen on Tuesday slammed consecutive Israeli governments run by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu with facilitating Qatari funding of Hamas as being a deep strategic source of the October 7 failure to stop Hamas's southern invasion.

Speaking at Reichman University, while Cohen agreed that the IDF and the Shin Bet failed their operational missions to anticipate the invasion in advance and to thwart it, he said that the larger problems were strategic and came from the government.

Irving Berlin is a Jew that wrote the songs White Christmas and Easter Parade.

This is a flamebait antisemitic thread. What kind of adult doesn't already know the answers to these questions?
Do you know? If so, why don't you answer them? And why are they antisemitic?

This is a flamebait antisemitic thread. What kind of adult doesn't already know the answers to these questions?

I was previously married into a Hindu family, and they did Christmas, but not easter.

The idea of assimilation into the US is not giving up ALL your old habits, just the bad ones that conflict with the ideals of the USA.

The real question is why do so called "Christians" engage in pagan activity.
Mind your own business

The real question is why do so called "Christians" engage in pagan activity.
Mind your own business
Touchy subject, eh? How do you feel about naming days of the week after Norse gods or months after Roman emperors? What about Valentine's Day or Halloween? Why do you think it is OK to question "Christians" about their practices but not others?

Touchy subject, eh? How do you feel about naming days of the week after Norse gods or months after Roman emperors? What about Valentine's Day or Halloween? Why do you think it is OK to question "Christians" about their practices but not others?
I only worry about myself.

One is an ACTIVE CHOICE.
The other is merely EXISTING in a pagan culture.
If you CHOOSE to engage in paganism you've made that CHOICE.

I only worry about myself.

One is an ACTIVE CHOICE.
The other is merely EXISTING in a pagan culture.
If you CHOOSE to engage in paganism you've made that CHOICE.
Do you CHOOSE to engage in paganism? If not,
How do you feel about naming days of the week after Norse gods or months after Roman emperors? What about Valentine's Day or Halloween?

Because they are activities tied to Christian holidays. We are not Christians.

Forum List

Back