🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

190 years of controversy: The Qasim Ali mosque and moon sighting elitism

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
PESHAWAR: For decades, the Qasim Ali mosque in Peshawar has been synonymous with the moon sighting dissent. Managed by the Popalzai family, the mosque stirs up controversy aplenty when the time comes to sight the moon for Ramazan and Eidul Fitr.

The mosque is situated amidst the hustle and bustle of Peshawar's historic Qissa Khawani bazaar. Previously a two-storey building, a third floor has been added to the structure in recent years to accommodate the ever growing number of worshippers who frequent the famed mosque.

....The Central Ruet-e-Hilal committee should be held responsible for splitting the nation on sighting the moon for the holy month of Ramazan. They do not have any rules or regulations, and sight the moon as part of a job that needs to be performed, rather than seeing it as their duty towards fellow Muslims,” claims Mufti Popalzai.

Popalzai belongs to the Deoband school of thought. Although he is not averse to modern gadgets — he constantly uses a bluetooth device in his ear to attend calls — he does not believe that technology should be employed to sight the moon. For this reason, he does not accept Met Office predictions.
190 years of controversy The Qasim Ali mosque and moon sighting elitism - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

Rock crushes paper. Science crushes elitist religious stuff.

Solved.

I am watching the moon setting near Venus. It doesn't look like the traditional Muslim Crescent moon On Ramadan. On the right, not left. And the star second immediately to the the right after sunrise? Saturn or Jupiter?

Last edited:
Is it media driven like how every year there is an alleged war on Christmas?
Not at all.

Some mosques only accept the "sighting of the moon" with the human eye. As done in ancient times in Mecca.

While other mosques now use modern lunar calculations for the start of Ramadan.

Usually both methods coincide and all mosques start on the same day.

Except during bad weather or with clouds hiding the moon over Mecca.

Then you might have some mosques starting the holiday one day different than other mosques. ..... :cool:

Not at all.

Some mosques only accept the "sighting of the moon" with the human eye. As done in ancient times in Mecca.

Then you might have some mosques starting the holiday one day different than other mosques. ..... :cool:

Which method do you use?

Which method do you use?
The mosque I attend uses modern lunar calculations......which I have no problem with.

But the mosque on the other side of town uses naked eye moon sighting for the start of Ramadan.

Basically, it's the Imam of each mosque who decides which method the mosque will follow. ..... :cool:

I am watching the moon setting near Venus. It doesn't look like the traditional Muslim Crescent moon On Ramadan. On the right, not left. And the star second immediately to the the right after sunrise? Saturn or Jupiter?
Islam: is it possible to derail it and go off topic? e
Not at all.

Islam bases this on planetary observations?
Which method do you use?
The mosque I attend uses modern lunar calculations......which I have no problem with.

But the mosque on the other side of town uses naked eye moon sighting for the start of Ramadan.

Basically, it's the Imam of each mosque who decides which method the mosque will follow. ..... :cool:
Do they marry gay people in that same mosque? How do Muslims feel about transsexuals? Do you hang them from cranes or just stone them? Or is tolerance in the works?Everyone is like "ISLAM is like all other religions...really, since when?

Last edited:
Off topic being questioning Islam and sharia law. I am still watching the crescent moon setting now an it will, for the next billion years or so. Allah has nothing to do with it. Religion is just hoodo . Physics put New Horizons on target, not prayers and good intentions.

Which method do you use?

Is it a source of conflict in the town you live in?

Is it a source of conflict in the town you live in?
Most cities in the US have mosques which fall either into the traditional camp (naked eye moon sighting) or the modern camp (lunar math calculations).

Every year, right before the holiday begins, there is intense debate and discussions between individual muslims as to which method is correct. With both sides convinced they are right and the other side is wrong.

But just as soon as Ramadan is declared the issue is forgotten. And the 30 days of fasting and prayer begins and everyone is happy.

That is until next year......when the controversy starts up again. ... :lol:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back