20-minute documentary: How the Phoenix Suns squandered a championship-caliber squad through mismanagement & 1 awful nosebleed for All-Star Steve Nash

Seven years ago today, Nash announced his retirement: ⁠

“I heard someone once say there comes a day when they tell us all that we can’t play anymore. We’re not good enough. Surplus to requirements. Too slow, maybe. When you’re a teenager with outsized dreams and a growing obsession, and someone tells you this ain’t gonna last forever, it’s scary. I never forgot it.⁠

So what did I do? Stayed obsessed. Set goals. Worked. Dreamed. Schemed. Pushed myself beyond what was normal or expected. I looked at my hero, Isiah Thomas, and thought to myself, ‘OK, I’m nowhere near the player he is but if I get better every day for 5 or 10 years, why can’t I be as good as him?’⁠

The greatest gift has been to be completely immersed in my passion and striving for something I loved so much — visualizing a ladder, climbing up to my heroes. The obsession became my best friend. I talked to her, cherished her, fought with her and got knocked on my ass by her.⁠

And that is what I’m most thankful for in my career. In my entire life, in some ways. Obviously, I value my kids and my family more than the game, but in some ways having this friend — this ever-present pursuit — has made me who I am, taught me and tested me, and given me a mission that feels irreplaceable. I am so thankful.”

FOZxDcgXwAQGqXU

FOZw7asWYAMnES8

FOZwzaqWQBAhkdg

Forum List

Back